How to add DTS-HD support to a PC ??

salam2009

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Here's my setup:
Creative Sound Blaster Z Sound Card" + "Samsung HT-F6500 5.1 BluRay Home Theater System" + "EVGA GeForce GTX 690 Graphics Card"
Should I remove the sound card and use GPU's Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable for passing DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD to my Samsung Receiver OR I'll be missing my sound card's audio enhancements that were designed for non DTS-HD formats ??
Thanks for your help!
Regards,
Salaam

Last edited:
DTS-HD cannot be sent over SPDIF it can only be sent over HDMI.

So only your GPU can be used to send such audio, go into the windows control panel\sound then bring up the properties of the Nvidia HDMI output and look under supported formats it should tell you if DTS-HD (also known as DTS-MA) is supported.

If using media center software like XBMC, Media-Portal any other decent one you dont need to set the Nvidia HDMI output as the primary output in Windows, in those programs you can manually select the audio output so you can still keep your SPDIF output as primary for everything else if you so desire.

DTS-HD cannot be sent over SPDIF it can only be sent over HDMI.

So only your GPU can be used to send such audio, go into the windows control panel\sound then bring up the properties of the Nvidia HDMI output and look under supported formats it should tell you if DTS-HD (also known as DTS-MA) is supported.

If using media center software like XBMC, Media-Portal any other decent one you dont need to set the Nvidia HDMI output as the primary output in Windows, in those programs you can manually select the audio output so you can still keep your SPDIF output as primary for everything else if you so desire.
Thank you so much for the amazing info!
I don't think I could make use of my sound card features anymore due to GPU's lossless HD Audio capabilities!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom