How to access the service menu on Samsung KS9000 from 2016?

w4tchmaker

Novice Member
Hi there!

I can't figure out how to access the service menu on my Samsung UN65KS9000 TV, which is a model from 2016.

I'd like to disable the awful Pulse Width Modulation / Global Dimming "feature" which reduces the luminance on dark scenes when the TV perceives a certain threshold of pixels black pixels. (It's driving me nuts)

I've already fixed this on a newer Samsung TV (from 2018 or 2019), but I can't figure out the combination of buttons to press to access the service menu on the 2016 model.

The KS9000 comes with the smaller "smart" remote, but I'm using the remote with more buttons from the newer TV, pictured here:

This controls the KS9000 just fine. It will turn on and off, and navigate menus. But when I do the button combinations, it won't access the service menu, even after many attempts.

However, I can only do the following combos in bold based on the buttons available:
  • Combination 1: Info, menu, mute then power button
  • Combination 2: Mute button then 1,8,2 then the power button
  • Combination 3: Display, menu, mute then power button
  • Combination 4: Display, P.STD, mute then power button
As you can see, I can't do the 3rd and 4th option because the current remote doesn't have buttons like "Display" or "P.STD", etc.

In short: Does anyone know the exact service menu button combo for 2016 Samsung TV models? And if I need a different remote, would you mind pointing me toward the precise one to purchase?

Thanks so much for any insights!

UPDATE: Thank you to @notengo13 for suggesting this service remote: AA81-00243A. Using their steps below, I was finally able to access the service menu on this model. Very happy to have this resolved!

Last edited:

notengo13

If you have smartphone with built-in IR you can send INFO + FACTORY to enter Extended Service Menu. Using apps like this

FACTORY + 3SPEED open extended service menu while you are in normal service menu

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220222_204740_com.wolf.servicercsam.jpg
    Screenshot_20220222_204740_com.wolf.servicercsam.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20220222_204728_com.wolf.servicercsam.jpg
    Screenshot_20220222_204728_com.wolf.servicercsam.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20220222_204717_com.wolf.servicercsam.jpg
    Screenshot_20220222_204717_com.wolf.servicercsam.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 0

w4tchmaker

Novice Member
If you have smartphone with built-in IR you can send INFO + FACTORY to enter Extended Service Menu. Using apps like this

FACTORY + 3SPEED open extended service menu while you are in normal service menu
Thanks so much for your reply. I don't think my smartphone has IR (it's a Pixel 3) but I'll keep this in mind. There appear to be many Samsung Remote IR apps in the play store. Do you have a link to this specific one?

Upvote 0

cuke2u

I might be wrong but some of the Samsung remote apps require the tv to be on the same WiFi network as the device as well as either using IR..

Upvote 0

notengo13

I might be wrong but some of the Samsung remote apps require the tv to be on the same WiFi network as the device as well as either using IR..
Samsung Remote apps (like Smart Things, smart View etc...) has nothing to do with apps which uses IR to send service command by IR or simply use IR commands to control tv which I wrote he need to access service menu.

Upvote 0

cuke2u

One of the android based apps states this: "With the app "TV (Samsung) Remote Control" you can use your smartphone to control your Samsung TV over the local network and/or with IR (if your android has infrared port)." Thus I understood this as meaning it doesn't matter..

Upvote 0

notengo13

One of the android based apps states this: "With the app "TV (Samsung) Remote Control" you can use your smartphone to control your Samsung TV over the local network and/or with IR (if your android has infrared port)." Thus I understood this as meaning it doesn't matter..
To access service menu you need to send IR commands from some "IR sender" (smartphone or some universal IR remote which you can program) or service remote control.
Screenshot_20220223_223751_cn.wps.moffice_i18n.jpg

Upvote 0

cuke2u

Noted and filed, thank you...

Upvote 0

w4tchmaker

Novice Member
To access service menu you need to send IR commands from some "IR sender" (smartphone or some universal IR remote which you can program) or service remote control. View attachment 1658897
Thanks for your reply. I have tried INFO > MENU> MUTE > POWER multiple times and it hasn't worked. Is this manual from the KS9000 specifically? Or another Samsung TV.

The official manual for my model doesn't have any information about entering the Service Menu.

Upvote 0

notengo13

Thanks for your reply. I have tried INFO > MENU> MUTE > POWER multiple times and it hasn't worked. Is this manual from the KS9000 specifically? Or another Samsung TV.

The official manual for my model doesn't have any information about entering the Service Menu.

INFO MENU MUTE POWER will not work on your Model because is UN(America) you need to use
MUTE, 1, 8, 2, POWER
or buy service remote controller. Or use some smartphone with build-in IR and use app which I mentioned above

You need to use Service manual for that purpose not regular user manual

Upvote 0

w4tchmaker

Novice Member
INFO MENU MUTE POWER will not work on your Model because is UN(America) you need to use
MUTE, 1, 8, 2, POWER
or buy service remote controller. Or use some smartphone with build-in IR and use app which I mentioned above

Thank you. I have tried MUTE, 1, 8, 2, POWER many times as well, with no luck. This was the combo to access a newer TV that I own, but doesn't seem to work on the KS9000.

Any ideas where to access the service manual? I don't see that anywhere on Samsung's site, or when Googling: 55" SUHD 4K Smart TV KS9000 Series 9 | Samsung Support CA

Upvote 0

w4tchmaker

Novice Member
MUTE, 1, 8, 2, POWER

Alternatively, I'm happy to purchase a "service remote" if I knew which one would work (and what combo of keys would enter the menu) like this: Amazon product

Upvote 0

w4tchmaker

Novice Member
Just read my post above. INFO FACTORY while you are on source TV
Sorry if I'm missing something, but as I mentioned above, I don't have a phone with IR capabilities. So not sure how to do INFO + FACTORY.

Additionally, on the remote I have, MUTE + 1 + 8 + 2 + POWER does not work on the 2016 TV (it did work on a 2019 model). Something is different about the 2016 OS and I can't find info about it anywhere online.

So what I'm asking is: What remotes and/or IR peripherals could I purchase in order to follow the instructions you're suggesting?

Thanks very much.

Upvote 0

notengo13

Sorry if I'm missing something, but as I mentioned above, I don't have a phone with IR capabilities. So not sure how to do INFO + FACTORY.

Additionally, on the remote I have, MUTE + 1 + 8 + 2 + POWER does not work on the 2016 TV (it did work on a 2019 model). Something is different about the 2016 OS and I can't find info about it anywhere online.

So what I'm asking is: What remotes and/or IR peripherals could I purchase in order to follow the instructions you're suggesting?

Thanks very much.
try to buy this factory remote AA81-00243A

Attachments

• service remote.jpg
    service remote.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Prey + Bullet Train reviews, Heat 4K + Event Horizon 4K and all the latest movies and TV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom