How to access Planet Rock radio using Arcam AVR550 or Naim QB now Bauer are removing internet tuners?

Fred

Standard Member
I listen to Planet Rock Radio on a Arcam AVR550 and Naim QB using internet radio and there is now a pre-recorded message when i switch on saying they are removing this service.

They have built a dedicated app for Sonus but appear to have abandoned everyone else.

anyone worked out how to stream at a reasonable quality to the above hardware?

Its very frustrating as i purchased and used to use DAB tuner with proper roof top aerial and 2 portables to listen to Planet Rock until Planet Rock dropped a load of transmitters including my local DAB transmitter. so stopped listening for a while until some one bought me a Sonus Play1 as a present and now having bought a Naim QB so i can stream Planet Rock they drop me as a listener again.

No wonder the station struggles to be viable when it just abandons listeners.

Nothing on FM that offers this type of music down in Essex.

Fred

Standard Member
not sure that is going to work very well and my phone is frequently used as a phone whilst music is streaming.

The messages disappeared saying the service was being improved by removing access to certain customers but they have now restarted so i assume the disconnection of the access is still planned.

larkone

Then get a tablet (or an old phone - no GSM card - to use as a tablet, this what I do) and stream form that. The rate people swap out smartphones means there is always an old one somewhere that can still run apps. If the previous service is being removed you don't really have much other choice

goonybird

Standard Member
Similar situation. My Denon AVC gets Planet Rock & JazzFM on internet. TSF Jazz - France pre recorded messages stating it cant transmit to UK, yet My Roberts stream and a Hama radio don't have a problem. Also have a Sansui DAB+ Internet radio streamer that work for Planet Rock, Jazzfm on DAB+ or internet radio and does TSF on Internet. Just baffles me with this technology that equipment bought for internet radio can just become a brick" eg Yamaha AVR's
The Sansui/ Mitchell Johnson WLD streamers are about £100 secondhand and may be best option.

Cebolla

Internet radio is just like everything else in tech - subject to fast unpredictable changes leaving previously compliant devices potentially 'bricked'.

mickbirch2000

Planet Rock is still streamable on TuneIn & Vtuner despite the messages in Feb, unfortunately its a poor quality stream at AAC 49kbps it has no oomph & sounds flat & uninteresting compared to stations that make an effort to stream quality sound.

Fred

Standard Member
it appears Planet Rock has gone off line if you use Arcam to stream although they have made sure they still serve Sonus products

Cebolla

The excellent radiofeeds.co.uk UK & Ireland internet radio directory has valid (post switch) links to all of Planet Radio / Bauer Media's internet radio station streams, including Planet Rock's:
eg, Planet Rock's 112kbps MP3 stream:
Code:
http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/bauer.pls?station=planetrock-mp3

Doesn't the Arcam AVR550's vTuner provided arcamradio.co.uk service support the adding of your own radio station links?
1650627631497.png

The equivalent vTuner service for Pioneer devices (pioneer.vtuner.com) supports adding your own stations (& the Planet Rock stream link from radiofeeds.co.uk works on my old Pioneer N-50 streamer):

1650627800482.png

Last edited:

Fred

Standard Member
Cebolla thank you that has worked for my Naim MusoQb which is fantastic as its hard wired due to no wifi coverage.

Having issues getting the AVR 550 to connect to any internet radio stations now, although i know the network switch it is connected to works as its showing he title of the planet rock stream that i saved as your suggested so has connected to get that update but cant now connect to any internet radio it just freezes when trying to connect

Cebolla

It's possible that (unlike the Naim) the Arcam has an issue accessing added internet radio streams indirectly via .pls media playlist file links - the URL from radiofeeds.co.uk is in fact a link to a .pls file containing the actual (direct) URL of the Planet Rock stream.

If you download and open the linked to .pls file with a text editor (eg, Notepad, on a Windows computer), you can copy the direct URL and use that instead of the one for the .pls file in arcamradio's added station. For example, the ,pls file currently contains (will likely change, so it's uncertain how long the URL below will remain valid):
1650929632721.png

Code:
http://edge-bauerall-01-gos2.sharp-stream.com/planetrock.mp3?aw_0_1st.skey=1650928959

Last edited:

Fred

Standard Member
Cebolla that is fantastic that solution worked on the Arcam AVR550 so your correct posting the direct link you have shared as "Code" into Vtuner for my Arcam has reconnected the stream and i can now listen to Planet Rock on my HiFi :) which has made my weekend :)

Cebolla

Excellent. Don't forget, if it stops working on the Arcam but the Naim is still ok, then the URL you copied is probably out of date. In which case download the .pls file to get the latest direct URL.

Last edited:

ChrisRh

Novice Member
It's possible that (unlike the Naim) the Arcam has an issue accessing added internet radio streams indirectly via .pls media playlist file links - the URL from radiofeeds.co.uk is in fact a link to a .pls file containing the actual (direct) URL of the Planet Rock stream.

If you download and open the linked to .pls file with a text editor (eg, Notepad, on a Windows computer), you can copy the direct URL and use that instead of the one for the .pls file in arcamradio's added station. For example, the ,pls file currently contains (will likely change, so it's uncertain how long the URL below will remain valid):
View attachment 1688348
Code:
http://edge-bauerall-01-gos2.sharp-stream.com/planetrock.mp3?aw_0_1st.skey=1650928959
First post on here to thank your good self for this info. So much easier that planet rock is back on my hi-fi’s internet radio and saved as a favourite. I added planet rock via the v tuner website and accessed it on my device (marantz mcr 611) via the radiomaranrz.com search option

ChrisRh

Novice Member
Excellent. Don't forget, if it stops working on the Arcam but the Naim is still ok, then the URL you copied is probably out of date. In which case download the .pls file to get the latest direct URL.
Take it you will need to do this on a desktop

ChrisRh

Novice Member
Cebolla that is fantastic that solution worked on the Arcam AVR550 so your correct posting the direct link you have shared as "Code" into Vtuner for my Arcam has reconnected the stream and i can now listen to Planet Rock on my HiFi :) which has made my weekend :)
Im pleased its back to. Defeats the object of listening it via your phone when owning a internet radio tuner. My hi-fi also has v tuner

The excellent radiofeeds.co.uk UK & Ireland internet radio directory has valid (post switch) links to all of Planet Radio / Bauer Media's internet radio station streams, including Planet Rock's:
eg, Planet Rock's 112kbps MP3 stream:
Code:
http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/bauer.pls?station=planetrock-mp3

Doesn't the Arcam AVR550's vTuner provided arcamradio.co.uk service support the adding of your own radio station links?
View attachment 1686658

The equivalent vTuner service for Pioneer devices (pioneer.vtuner.com) supports adding your own stations (& the Planet Rock stream link from radiofeeds.co.uk works on my old Pioneer N-50 streamer):

View attachment 1686659
Many, many thanks for the above. I've now got Planet Rock back on my old Pioneer N50A😁

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom