How to access a massive PDF library on iPad 2020 Pro without the cellular or wifi connection

Psycycleogical

Novice Member
How to access a massive PDF Library without a cellular or Wi-Fi connection using iPad Pro 2020 12.9

I had never been a fan of Apple products previously. I always liked the flexibility to add additional storage to higher-end Android devices including tablets. My work was going to buy me a new tablet and the newest Samsung tablet hadn't dropped yet. I thought I would give Apple a fair try and chose the iPad Pro 2020 12.9 with 1TB of internal storage and the magic keyboard.

I love how fluidly all the apps work. Definitely impressed with Apple's seamless interface.

I have a USB-C to USB-A adapter that I purchased from Apple with the thought that I could take an external hard drive and load my 150 GB PDF library directly to the internal hard drive of the iPad. Wasn't able to do it and went as far as to call Apple support and they told me that feature wasn't available. It blows my mind that I've got $1,700 tied up in a device that is supposed to be able to replace the need for a laptop and a tablet in one device and can't load what I need.

The only solution that I have found was to upload the entire PDF Library to Dropbox and then access it through a cellular/wifi connection as needed. There's two issues with that. The first being that I work in elevator control rooms and many times there is no phone signal/wifi there. The other is that the library is being constantly updated and it takes a ridiculous amount of time to upload back to Dropbox. Also haven't been able to find an AutoCAD to PDF converter/editor app. So far , it feels like this device is better suited for social media, games and videos than an actual work environment.

I'm hoping there's a better way out there that I'm just not aware of. Any positive input or help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
What didn't work with the hard drive because external storage should be supported in iOS13 and above

iamsludge

You should be able to use the files app.

My mother in law uses a variety of external hard drives with photos on with her old iPad Air3.

Depending upon the drive you might need to plug it into a powered hub to power as the iPad might not provide power to the drive - especially over the cable you are using. You might also need the Apple AV adapter as that can be powered too. I think my MIL uses both.

Psycycleogical

Novice Member
What didn't work with the hard drive because external storage should be supported in iOS13 and above

After reading the article from your link, I've been trying to use NTFS format hard drives. Currently reformatting a 2tb hard drive to exfat and then I will transfer my library to it and try again. Thank you

Psycycleogical

Novice Member
You should be able to use the files app.

My mother in law uses a variety of external hard drives with photos on with her old iPad Air3.

Depending upon the drive you might need to plug it into a powered hub to power as the iPad might not provide power to the drive - especially over the cable you are using. You might also need the Apple AV adapter as that can be powered too. I think my MIL uses both.
Part of my problem I realize now is that I have been using NTFS formatted hard drives and it doesn't appear that iOS recognizes that. Currently formatting a hard drive to exfat and will try again. Still hoping that I'm able to transfer the contents of the hard drive to the internal memory of the iPad so as not to have to carry around any extra attachments. Thank you.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom