• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How tightly can you fit an LCD TV into a recess?

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
I have an ikea best a TV unit which has an enclosed frame (surrounded by wall units so no option to expand). Internal measurements are 114cm wide, 80cm Hugh and 31cm deep.

I currently have a 40" LCD TV in there, but was wondering if I can squeeze a 46" in there. One is 108.5cm wide and 68cm high with the pedestal stand. (the other is 112.4cm wide so probably a non-starter). Current TV is 98cm wide x 68cm high, so the difference is only 10cm on the width

A couple of issues spring to mind. Firstly, access to the back. I think I'd manage, either by using an extendable mount, or just sliding the TV forward onto a box or something.

Main issue is ventilation. Manuals usually say to leave 10-15cm at the sides, and 30cm above. I already don't have that clearance with my 40", and it'd be tighter still with a 46". As it's open fronted, will heat just vent out into the room? Can I cut holes in the back panel to help it vent out the back? (the units are freestanding so there is open space behind)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom