How they destroyed star wars chat

I liked that battle, plus it made perfect sense to me.

Surely you would expect that such a master of the force would display amazing agility and strength when fighting? In fact its when he walks around leaning on a stick that I find it somewhat unrealistic.

Squiffy said:
In fact its when he walks around leaning on a stick that I find it somewhat unrealistic.
Exactly!
If he can do that during a fight then why does he appear so old and feeble normally and requires a stick and assistance to get up out of chairs? :rolleyes:

Brogan said:
Exactly!
If he can do that during a fight then why does he appear so old and feeble normally and requires a stick and assistance to get up out of chairs? :rolleyes:

Maybe b'coz Jedi can only use the force for a while.

I dunno, maybe its like having good sex, you can't keep at it the whole weekend, and eventually you fall asleep! Or go and watch a DVD. :thumbsup: :rotfl:

John-D said:
I dunno, maybe its like having good sex, you can't keep at it the whole weekend, and eventually you fall asleep! Or go and watch a DVD. :thumbsup: :rotfl:

And remember, size matters not. :laugh:

always a few naysayers who want to spoil starwars for everyone else.
If you hate the prequels then DONT pay to see them.

Bet I still see you all in line for episode 3 ;-)

syfodyas said:
always a few naysayers who want to spoil starwars for everyone else.
How does one persons dislike of a particular film or scene spoil it for everyone else? :confused:
This is a forum; a place where people are allowed to post their opinions on something.

Brogan said:
How does one persons dislike of a particular film or scene spoil it for everyone else? :confused:
This is a forum; a place where people are allowed to post their opinions on something.

I meant starwars - this is a hate thread and the prequels, although not perfect do not deserve such hate.
Of course people can post their opinions but this negativity concerning the prequels and Lucas' changes to the original trilogy irritates me and does spoil the excitement of the DVDs and anticipating episode 3 for true starwars fans.

I'll raise my point again, if you hate the prequels so much, dont pay to see them or buy the dvds, but I'd bet my house that you will all be first in line come may 19th 2005.

syfodyas said:
I meant starwars - this is a hate thread and the prequels, although not perfect do not deserve such hate.
Of course people can post their opinions but this negativity concerning the prequels and Lucas' changes to the original trilogy irritates me and does spoil the excitement of the DVDs and anticipating episode 3 for true starwars fans.

I'll raise my point again, if you hate the prequels so much, dont pay to see them or buy the dvds, but I'd bet my house that you will all be first in line come may 19th 2005.
Surely the same applies to you?
If you don't like 'Star Wars hate threads' then don't read or post on them.
That way you won't get irritated or have your excitement spoilt.

Personally I can't get that worked up either way about a movie.
I wouldn't know the difference between the original Star Wars, the re-worked versions or the soon-to-be-released versions.
In fact, I don't even know how many versions there are.

Anyway, what's happening on May 19th?
I've only got 1 Star Wars DVD and that's only been watched once so I won't be in any queue on that day.

Interesting quotes from Anthony Daniels:

"The first film spoke to everyone on the planet. It still works as a funny, bright movie. It still has legs," he said of the films by U.S. director George Lucas.

When Lucas returned to the pre-quels, Daniels was not so sure.

"George's devotion to digital effects over-balanced the films. Too many digital funky characters become a little bit wearing. The storytelling always gets subsumed."

bjd said:
Interesting quotes from Anthony Daniels:

"The first film spoke to everyone on the planet. It still works as a funny, bright movie. It still has legs," he said of the films by U.S. director George Lucas.

When Lucas returned to the pre-quels, Daniels was not so sure.

"George's devotion to digital effects over-balanced the films. Too many digital funky characters become a little bit wearing. The storytelling always gets subsumed."

so what? Doesnt mean anything.
I defy you to say that The finale of Attack of the clones was not of the most thrilling moments of the saga.
Lucas has pioneered a lot of breakthroughs in terms of cinema, his devotion to CGi being one of those breakthroughs. Infact, hate Jar Jar all you want, but if it was not for him we would not see the likes of Golum etc..

Like I said, if you hate the prequels so much, dont pay to see them

I like it better when they use CGI on a back plate. i.e. film a background and then stick the effect on after.

The end of AotC was great, but looked a little too clean, just felt like a Pixar movie. Was expecting Buz Lightyear to take on Dooku. :D Infact, i read that Pixar take the mick out of ILM and say their CGI is not as good as their's.

The P.T. is good, but not as good as Episode's 4 & 5. Be honest, not any of the latest movie's spaceships beat the class of and X-Wing, or Snowspeeder?

Ps. Though i think Ryan Church is moving the designs in the right direction.

I think people wont appreciate the prequels and especially phantom menace until after they see episode 3.

Lucas is a genious! Anakin was born a slave and dies a slave, a slave to Palpetine, the darkside, and most of all... guilt (You will find out in 2005!) Its a tragedy that hes not responsible for that guilt he feels.
Episode 1 has all the charm and playful innocence that lucas intended us to feel of young Anakin, even Jar Jar is innocent in episode 1 and the prequels are about the exploitation and tarnishing of what is innocent - jar jar in his manipulation which eventually leads to him bringing the emperor into power and Anakin's seduction to the darkside.
The prequels are brilliant, you just have to look at the bigger picture.

syfodyas said:
Lucas is a genious! Anakin was born a slave

Only problem i have with the slave stuff, is that he had so much time on his hands. He built Pod-Racers, Robots, wood carvings, working on a scanner, to find the boobie traps in the rest of the slaves, being nice and helping people.

Come on, slave my rump! :rotfl:

But the biggest rubbish was him flying a Starfighter...gimme a break! :boring:
only good thing was Darth Maul. :smashin:

Lucas should of fitted in the P.T with the O.T. not the other way around.

John-D said:
Only problem i have with the slave stuff, is that he had so much time on his hands. He built Pod-Racers, Robots, wood carvings, working on a scanner, to find the boobie traps in the rest of the slaves, being nice and helping people.

Come on, slave my rump! :rotfl:

But the biggest rubbish was him flying a Starfighter...gimme a break! :boring:
only good thing was Darth Maul. :smashin:

Lucas should of fitted in the P.T with the O.T. not the other way around.

Fair enough criticism but that too is an important component to the trilogy plot
Anakin being able to fix things, to remain in control - when the jedi took him away (ie for training) he lost that power, that control, he started to lose people around him, his mom, soon Padme and then his own life - although he does manage to keep his life by fixing himself, i.e why Vader, his suit etc is so cold and mechanical. Anakin loses his humanity but keeps his life.

Make sense? Sorry i've had a few beers...

syfodyas said:
I defy you to say that The finale of Attack of the clones was not of the most thrilling moments of the saga.

The finale of AotC was not one of the most thrilling moments of the Star Wars saga :rolleyes:

I wonder how much planning goes into the movies to tie in with additional merchandising - especially spin-off games. Sometimes i sat there thinking "yeah this is going to be in 'SW-ep 3 Spaceship game'...".

Regarding the Yoda fight. IMO it would have been far better to have yoda just stand there and use the force to fling a lightsabre about, punch out distance blows, and throw objects about. This bouncing about like a ball is CGI overload and an idea which didnt translate well to screen.

So how big is this house? I'm not planning on seeing it on opening night, maybe when its wound down after a few weeks, tickets are cheap and the cinema isnt crowded at all. That or await the DVD in a few years.

iZed said:
The finale of AotC was not one of the most thrilling moments of the Star Wars saga :rolleyes:

I wonder how much planning go .

Can you then elaborate on why exactly you do not find the clone war batte and the battle between Anakin/Dooku exciting? Thats not the impression I got from the esctatic audience wetting their pants in excitment at the cinema where I saw AOTC.
Way more exciting than something like the battle of hoth or even the death star trench run (runs for cover!)

syfodyas said:
Can you then elaborate on why exactly you do not find the clone war batte
See my comments about a video game.

and the battle between Anakin/Dooku exciting?
I dont know if you've done any fencing or weapon-style martial arts, but when someone attacks it has to be percieved and then reacted against and then defended. All too often hollywood fights have the defender moving to block unrealistically early - hence you can tell its obviously choreographed. Then there is keeping a decent flow and variety of traded blows, plus cinematography/style/etc the actual filming of a scene can be done different ways. In my mind the fight failed on so many levels it was almost laughable, well at the least its so non-descript my brain hasnt bothered to record the details. But when you compare it to a really well scripted and well-fought movie fight scene it really pales totally.

For sheeer technical and choreographed excellence you cant go past The Princess Bride (Dread Pirate Robert vs Inigo) or Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (multi-weapon fight at the warehouse before the bamboo flying bit). If you've done a bit of fencing/martial arts you can just spot that these fights were really worked on. Weapons show the correct mass (i love the bronze bar bit in CTHD - exactly how you can block with a heavy weapon, moving your body more than the weapon itself), and the combatants actually block an attack, rather than the sword is already there ready to block, because the attacker appears to be attacking into a potential gap.

For all the style of the Darth Maul fight, i didnt find it very realistic, and similarly the Anakin/Dorku fight is poor also. Set in a cave? movement? drama? I wouldnt exactly say the light-sabre fights in Ep 4, 5 and 6 are particularly stunning either in this regard, but there was a certain dramatic impact they each had. The Vader vs Kennobi fight is fairly laughable from a technical point, but it has some brilliant dialogue after a huge buildup to this showdown - "Once i was but a learner, now I am the master!" What the **** did Anakin and Dorku trade? The scene in the Bespin carbon freezing chamber is even better; a great backdrop for a fight, and Vader (again fairly immobile) looks like he's playing with this innsolent pup, when things get tougher he pulls out his greater knowledge of the force and starts chucking bits about. That kinda of power was what i was expecting in Yoda vs Dork-man, not some tumbling ball somewhat reminecent of Flubber's bouncing goo.

Bland. Lacking in style. CGI and technical competence over drama and dialogue. Pretty much like Ep's 1, 2 (and no doubt) 3 compare to 4, 5 and 6.

Way more exciting than something like the battle of hoth or even the death star trench run (runs for cover!)
Yes, run and hide. Trolling on forums (re: you vs Brogan was it?) is always sad; i'm glad you are enthusiatic about Star Wars in general, and apparently Ep 3 and the two othrer prequels, but others should be allowed to share an opinion that differs. Such is what forums are made up of, one doesnt have to keep posting till a thread is beaten to death or people agree with a certain point of view.

iZed said:
Yes, run and hide. Trolling on forums (re: you vs Brogan was it?) is always sad; i'm glad you are enthusiatic about Star Wars in general, and apparently Ep 3 and the two othrer prequels, but others should be allowed to share an opinion that differs. Such is what forums are made up of, one doesnt have to keep posting till a thread is beaten to death or people agree with a certain point of view.

Im trolling because I enjoyed the prequels? Go figure..

I really cant stand people like you, yes you are entitled to your opinion but you cant accuse those whose differ of trolling.
If you think the prequels were bland and the end of ATOC boring then fine, dont see episode 3 - I really hope the theater/cinema doesnt contain people like you on opening night because if you hate it so much you really have no place being there.
They are Lucas' films and he can continue them, change them and do whatever the hell he wants with them. IT IS HIS ARTISTIC RIGHT and if you dont like his work, DONT pay to see it - but im pretty certain come next year you will anyway so Lucas wins both ways eh?

There are a group of us who can actually identify Lucas' plan with the prequels and the bigger picture. People will really think better of them from a tstorytelling point of view after episode 3 is rleased. Yes Jar Jar is annoying but so was chewie! Yes the films are childish in place but so was ANH and ROTJ. Yes the dialogue is cheesy at times but so is the dialogue in ANH.
People like you are largely upset just because Anakin isnt a evil badass and actually has some humanity about him, you feel it compromises Vader and also you are ****** that Han, Luke Leia and Chewie arent there -you arent even willing to give any of the new characters a chance.

You are entitled to your opinion but so am I.
My only criticism of you is to put your money where your mouth is, or rather not so to speak in the sense that if the prequels offend and disappoint you so much, simply dont pay to see them...

John-D said:
Only problem i have with the slave stuff

One of the biggest problems I have is the notion that Anakin is some sort of Messiah. Born without a father, purely from the force? What fool came up with that? :confused: :mad: I also don't like the pathetic explanation that the force comes from midi-chlorians. That being the case, surely they could harvest and inject them to give people force powers?

Generally I dont like the Force. For me, it introduces too much inconsistency and breaches reality too much. It is applied inconsistently.

A good example is when Vader is ripping things off the wall to fling against Luke. Why? Why can't he just force push Luke off balance? Or force push the off-switch on Lukes lightsaber just as he does an attack? Or snatch his lightsaber from his hand? Or choke him? Or throw around a myriad of small items which Luke will be unable to dodge all of? etc.

It really is quite annoying. This almost spoils the Star Wars universe for me. (Similarly, the fact that the Federation in Star Trek has no currency almost spoils that universe. It would be great to see a hybrid that had the gritty realism of Star Wars with the racial dynamics & history of Star Trek).

Other examples of too much unreality spoiling a film are the remake of Planet of the Apes. Talking apes I can accept. Time travel, OK. But Apes jumping fifty feet in the air? Or being able to lift someone at arms length without topping over (or at least bracing themselves somehow). It just beats you over the head and screams that you are watching fiction. The sense of immersion in the story is lost.

syfodyas said:
Im trolling because I enjoyed the prequels? Go figure.. I really cant stand people like you, yes you are entitled to your opinion but you cant accuse those whose differ of trolling.
No you appear to be trolling because i reply reasonibly and with comprehensive statements (see above) and all you can reply with is attacks on myself. Also i was particularly referencing a bout of exchanges between yourself and Brogan on another thread. Sure looked less like discussion and more like inflamatary comments posted needlessly. It would be better if you responded to peoples statements in, like, a conversation. For example you could have replied: "I see that you think X about this battle, however i like the artistic merit... etc" Thats called a discussion.

[ranty bits deleted] if you hate it so much you really have no place being there. [more ranty bits deleted] People like you are largely upset just because [psycho-anaylsis deleted] you are ****** that [ditto]-you arent even willing to give any of the new characters a chance.
Ahh so two posts and you can anaylse me completely. I obviously do like Star Wars, have watched them (and therefore paid money), since i've bothered to post on a Star Wars Forum in a Star Wars discussion. I think you're over confident in you ability to judge people- as you are largely wrong.

You are entitled to your opinion but so am I.
Unlike you i have never said not to express yourself.

If you wish to discuss the technical merits, quality of dialogue, themes behind the movies and so on please respond - i'd be especially interested if you want to reply to my comments on why i thought the light-sabre battles in ep 1, 2 and 3 are worse than 4, 5 and 6. I shall not bother to reply to more attacks, or judgemental views about myself.

beecee said:
well it all started to go wrong when George decided to direct them himself.....and write the screenplay, oh and let ILM go nuts with CGI. :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

to improve it!

remove Jar Jar and all the gungans, any reference to mediclorians (spelling!!!) calm down on the CGI and use men in suits, i mean EVERY clone trooper was CG....for the close up scenes they could have had at least them with real actors.

Nonsense.
Jar Jar is no more anooying than Chewie and kids love Jar Jar..
Medicholorians are needed as a measure to compare Anakin's force sensitivity over others such as Yoda etc..
And as for using men in suits as clonetroopers. are you MAD?? Did u see episode 2, how many actors would be required? Plus episode 3 shows larger clone armys battling the sepertists. CG is the right tool to use and the future of filmmaking so get over it.

As for writing starwars, George has always written the screenplay..

iZed said:
If you wish to discuss the technical merits, quality of dialogue, themes behind the movies and so on please respond - i'd be especially interested if you want to reply to my comments on why i thought the light-sabre battles in ep 1, 2 and 3 are worse than 4, 5 and 6. I shall not bother to reply to more attacks, or judgemental views about myself.

How about you get over yourself and leave the fans to enjoy the prequels. I know I will be having a good time come may 19th 2005, you can wallow in misery for all I care complaining that Greedo shot first.

syfodyas said:
Nonsense.
Jar Jar is no more anooying than Chewie and kids love Jar Jar..

Chewie was hard, not some racist, high pitched jive talking mutha and a poof! :D My Girfriends little one, who is 7, thinks he's dumb...Go figure!

syfodyas said:
Jar Jar is no more anooying than Chewie
Have to disagree with you there.
Jar Jar is the reason we didn't buy EP1.
He just ruins the whole film.
Chewie on the other hand was an adult character aimed at a more adult audience, before the huge profits that come with making a film directed at kids was the most important factor in film making.
and kids love Jar Jar..
And that's the problem.
He's aimed at a juvenile market and therefore most adults find the character extremely irritating.
Certainly everyone I know who's old enough to vote can't stand him.

We'll probably still buy EP1 as it will be silly to have 5 parts out of 6 but at least with DVD we can FF past the annoying bits.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom