1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How The West Was Won - C4

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by delta, Oct 11, 2003.

1. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congratulations to Channel 4 for their excellent presentation of 'How The West Was Won'. Formatted for 16:9, it was half the width of the original Cinerama presentation, but did not lose any of its dramatic impact. If you have not seen Cinerama, the ultimate widescreen system, go to the National Museum of Photography, Film and Television in Bradford at 1.30pm on the first Saturday of every month when you can see the first Cinerama film from 1952, 'This Is Cinerama'. 'How The West Was Won' is shown there usually once a year. For more info. re Cinerama log on to the American Widescreen Museum at
    http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/index.htm

PS I wonder if anyone rang their tv dealer complaining of there being two vertical stripes on their C4 picture?

2. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It wasnt half the width Cinerama had a wide aspect ratio of 2.60:1 or 2.80:1 so Channel 4 and its 16/9 showing is as bad as pan and scan indeed because the film was so much wider than ur average 2.35:1 ratio film 16/9 represents a very clumsy compromise and is as bad as showing fullscreen.

3. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    Watched most of this showing (seen it before of course), and didnt think C4's compromise to be that bad either.

I wonder if they will ever use computer technology to get rid of those seams, then re-release it on DVD - this film deserves it.

4. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The point I am making is that given the scope of the film, whoever formatted the copy for C4 did a good job. TV will never capture the epic scale of Cinerama!

There is a lot of interest in putting Cinerama onto DVD and it is hoped that the original seven three-panel films will be released as such.

A new print of How The West Was Won recently completed a week long run at the newly restored Cinerama Dome in Hollywood with packed houses every day. Although the Dome was built for Cinerama presentations this was only the second time a true three panel film was shown there. Earlier this year This Is Cinerama made its debut at the Dome. How The West Was Won is often shown during the Bradford Film Festival each March as are most of the orignal three panel films, and at a newly restored Cinerama installation in Seattle.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Would be pretty easy but it would take a fair bit of time and or a lot of bodies.
    There are one or two bits of software that purport to do this sort of cleanup automatically but I still wouldn't trust any of them .

The question is money though. You would be looking at millions : I'd say about £1million just for scanning the entire 3 elements. Thats before you even start work and although the work itself would be simple enough it would take a fair bit of time as you would have to do every single shot in the movie.