How The Increase In Heat Increases Violence

Garrett

I was reading in the paper how heat affects people and a small rise makes people feel better and a lot happier but at the next stage of heat rising people get violent.
Take for instance what a saw on a hot sunny day:

I was walking along the beach when I saw this crowd of people and a commotion going on so I went to see what was going on.
When I got there this bloke was hitting this woman (who had a baby in her arms) with a stick, luckily a policeman turned up and stopped him only thing the bloke turned on him as did the woman.
Whilst this was going on a crocodile came along and pinched the string sausages.

Reign-Mack

think this would have been funnier if a tumble weed rolled through my living room just a few seconds after I read the punch line.

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
I got to the bit where a policeman turned up, then thought 'that's not right' and then when the aforementioned PC intervened, well I knew that this was going somewhere unexpected.

But it did remind of an episode of NYPD Blues where 'The Sarge' warned his team, 'hey hey hey, let's be EXTRA careful out there' because of the hot weather and the effect is has on the crime rate.
As it was NYPD Blues, it must be true.

shodan

Distinguished Member
Funny enough it actually does cause an increase in violence. Partly because people get grumpy when they are hot and clammy and partly because the great unwashed take the opportunity to stand out in the sun from earlier in the day till later whilst throwing Wife Beater own their scrawny little necks...

But I quite liked the gag in the first post though....

krish

Distinguished Member
But it did remind of an episode of NYPD Blues where 'The Sarge' warned his team, 'hey hey hey, let's be EXTRA careful out there' because of the hot weather and the effect is has on the crime rate.
As it was NYPD Blues, it must be true.
there's also that hard hitting LA documentary made by Michael Douglas, "Falling Down", filmed on the hottest day of the year

Bill Hicks

Banned
And of course there is the excellent Spike Lee film Do the Right Thing that ends with a street riot, that's set on the hottest day of the year!