Quantcast

Question How Tell if TV is Standard Android OS or Android TV? Other?

KermitJ

Tried to play a MKV video on my Vizio and Samsung Smart TVs but did not work. I have no problem on my Samsung phone with VLC Media Player or MX Player.

Googled and found "How to Sideload Apps on Smart TVs" How to Sideload Apps on Smart TVs and learned that there are 2 possible versions
1. Standard Android OS and 2. Android TV.

Hope there is a data base that gives what smart tv has which version but have not found it yet. Checked mfrs info but found no mention of Android OS version.

Did check Android TV wiki Android TV - Wikipedia and found "Sony unveiled a range of Bravia smart TVs running Android TV at CES 2015.[23] Sharp's television sets became available June 10, 2015,[24] beginning with the release of two models.[25] Philips announced that 80% of their 2015 TVs will run Android TV,[26] the first two models of which were released in June 2015.[26] Google announced other television hardware partners in January 2016, including Arcelik, Bang & Olufsen, Hisense, RCA, TCL Corporation, and Vestel.[27][28]"

More searching found "Smart TV framework platforms managed by single companies or foundations" List of smart TV platforms and middleware software - Wikipedia

For Samsung (~ 1 year old) it lists Tizen OS for TV For newer TV sets. Vizio (~ 3 years old) is not listed

More searching found "Best Smart TV 2020: every smart TV platform and which set does it best" (newer December 13, 2019 vs May 13, 2018) Best Smart TV 2020: every smart TV platform and which set does it best and mentions "In 2019, there are five main smart operating systems: Android TV, webOS, Tizen, Roku TV and SmartCast that are used by Sony, LG, Samsung, TCL and Vizio, respectively. In the UK, you'll find that Philips also uses Android while Panasonic uses its own proprietary system called MyHomeScreen."

Confusing! Hope others have more info.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Depends on the products available locally. Some manufacturers use different OSes in different parts of the world, while some brands are run by different companies altogether.

From the mention of Vizio and the fact your profile says USA I'm guessing you're in North America.

Scanning rtings listings they only have Android TV listed, used by Sony, Hisense and LeEco so I'd guess the overall situation is similar to the UK. The better brands are all using Android TV while Android Tablet is only to be found on budget imports from chinese companies sold under own brand labels.

Top Bottom