1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How 'tactile' is the Kameleon?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by pwhite8314, Jan 11, 2003.

1. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THe reason I ask is that I had a Pronto for a couple of years, but could never get used to it as I always had to 'look' at the remote to use it. I know that sounds like the ultimate laziness, but for all my regular remotes, I know where the buttons are, so don't need to look down to see what I'm pressing.

The Kameleon claims to have 'unique user feedback, giving the best of both worlds (LCD & regular buttons) - is this true? I'll go play with one later if Richers have one in stock, but I just wanted to get your opinions.

Cheers

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I bought one from Dixons just before Xmas but returned the day after.

I too have had a Pronto in the past and did not get on with it at all - mainly because it was too large

The Kameleon remote is not more tactile thn the pronto but what is does have is these animated effects when you select a button - I think this is what they refer to as unique user feedback.

The other problem I had is that it's just not configurable enough for my needs.

If your devices are supported then it is a very nice looking device and would be a doddle to use in the dark thanks to it lighting up as soon as you move it.

I think a compromise for me would be the new ProntoNeo which will still not be tactile but at least can be used one handed and programmed to do what I want it to.

Cheers, Lee

3. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lee. RS didn't have any in stock anyway (nor any of the OFA Topline 8s (9.99!), so maybe I'll do the same as you, go get one, and see what I think. My only requirement is that I need macro control, so that the amp comes on at the same time as the new plasma, otherwise my better half won't like it.

4. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think you will find that the Kameleon has very limited macro support.

I too had one of the topline remotes but it was no good for my requirements again. I really want one remote to replace all my other 7 so that they can be confined to a drawer never too see the light of day again.

But if you have a local Dixons that has them in stock then you have about 7 days I think to try it out so long as you return it in a saleable condition. I had no problem in returning mine at all.

I'd be interested to know how you get on as I'm still not too sure what's my best option either.

I am hoping that the new Pronto, RU950 I think, will be a vast imporvement over the others but not sure when it will be available.

Cheers, Lee

5. clearys

clearys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Pete,

Got this before Xmas.

You'll find you HAVE to look at it to use it - its just a smooth surface and has no Buttons to speak of. You have to be fairly accurate with your fingers as well or it won't detect it. The other downside is it's narrow field of view for sending signals. I find I have to point it at the device I want to control rarther than in the general direction.

On the plus side it is easily programable to switch on you Plasma and AMP at the same time. Mine also switches the cable box on with 1 single keypress. Theres a dedicated section of the manual all about doing just this.

Although it does everything I require (nearly), I would'nt part with the cash again. As others have said - it's just not configurable enough. For example - Cable control.. If I want to access the 'whats on now/next' menu, I press a button to bring the menu up, then I have to 'Scroll' to the next page of commands on the remote to use up/down buttons, then 'scroll' 2 more pages to get back to the menu button to finish browsing.

PITA

Still - getting used to it now

Steve

6. phil r brown

phil r brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep I think I agree... got one of these 2 weeks ago and not really happy yet.

With my sky remote, I had got used to exactely where the buttons were, with my hand simply resting on it, I could operate most all commands without needing to look at the remote... you really cant do this with Kameleon, you need to nudge it to get lights up and then you really have to look at the remote to find the button you want to press ( as it is basically a flat piece of plastic ). Not sure its a good step on this basis.

Got another niggle in that I cant program a "pause" in a macro, to power up my Panasonic tv... again without this the macros are not much use to me ( and I really wanted these ).

Its early days and I will persevere... but first impressions are "not over excited" and I dont think I quite support the rave reviews people have been giving the remote here.

Maybe if moving from a flat panel remote to this one, its not so bad... but from a button remote to this one is taking some getting used to.

phil