1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How stupid is this?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by samsonite, Dec 3, 2002.

1. samsonite

samsonite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, this is my first post and I am new to this home cinema malarkey.
    I have read the posts on both speakers and amps for the last few months, while waiting for the Marantz.

I am planning to get a Marantz SR7300 or SR6300 and suitable speakers. The room layout is far from ideal and the television is in a corner.

I understand that front, centre and rears should be similar. Therefore, I am planning to user the same floor-standers for front and rears, which would allow me to use “Direct mode” (on the Marantz). The centre will be placed below the television (Panasonic TX32 PK2) in the place of the existing centre supplied with the television; may have to remove the glass door. The space is a maximum of 44 cm wide. I do not want the centre on top of the television, which will upset SWMBO and be the end of my home cinema plans.

The only half decent speakers that appear to fit are the Tannoy mX-M series because:-
    The centre is less than 44 cm long.
    The mX3-M floor stander are magnetically shielded and front ported, so can be placed next to the television and near the wall.

Does anybody have any alternative speaker suggestions, which meet the criteria?
    I am willing to pay more than the Tannoys for suitable speakers, but I am not an audiophile, and the room isn't perfect.
    Is the SR7300 (or 6300) too good for the speakers?

A sub will be added later, if needed.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    How about a regular Tannoy MX2 bookshelf speaker used as a centre? Should fit and have similar tonal qualities to the MX3's.

3. samsonite

samsonite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Nobber 22 for the suggestion. I had not thought of that alternative.
    Presumably, because speakers are sold in pairs (except centres and subs), the remaining mX2-M could be used as a rear centre. But, would this work?

Would my or Nobber22’s proposed set-up do justice to the Marantx SR7300 or 6300?

What do the forum members think of Tannoy mX-M speakers in particular, and Tannoy in general?

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I haven't heard the new Mx-M range, but their predecesors are cracking speakers. As for the rest of the Tannoy range, great too. If you can stretch to £360 the Revolution R3's are world class! Centre is a bit big tho' :rolleyes:

Tannoys should work great with your amp choices too. Using one MX2-M for centre and another for rear centre is a cunning plan. Just make sure the rear centre is a least 1m behind you so that it doesn't dominate your rear soundstage.

5. WSC

WSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a small point. You do not need the same speakers front and rear to use the Direct mode on your speakers. When in Direct mode the speakers are put into large speaker mode BUT the Marantz knows what sort of thing that you are playing (e.g. listening to a CD it only uses front l/r and ignores the others, including subs). When in 5.1 or 6.1 it will treat the system as such and there is little heavy bass usually sent to the rear speakers. Therefore you can have smaller speakers for the rears as they usually have a less demanding role (e.g. sound effects - bang, crashes, space ships panning from front to back - herds of Wildebeast etc. etc.). It is a good idea to have them from the same set. For example, on the Kef speakers you could get some floorstanders (Q3, Q5, Q7) have the Q8 rear and the Q9 centre and they would tonally match without having your room dominated by Stonehenge.

Have fun and go and listen to them before you buy.

6. samsonite

samsonite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, does this mean that I can use the Tannoys at the front, for the reasons which I have stated, and use something different at the rear? For example some Eggs, which would be more discreet. Does anybody have any suggestion for small speakers for the rear which will take the power of a Marantz SR7300 and not sound too disimilar to Tannoy?

Will I need a sub? The CHT-10 velodyne in power buys seems a favorite of the forum.

BTW, I have ordered the Marantz SR7300, in black. Don't have a delivery date yet, but hope before Christmas.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I used to have Tannoy M3 floorstanders which produced a healthy amount of bass but the addition of a sub really transformed the system.

No home cinema system should be without one :)

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Have you considered the 'Revolution' series? At the moment i use a mix of R2's + RC and i'm quite happy with them.