1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How strong a signal do I need?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by echo3, Feb 17, 2005.

1. echo3

echo3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still trying to decide between Tosh 36" Picture Frame and £1,000 on other toys, or Pana TH42PW7 plasma.

For watching telly on Freeview how storng a signal is required for a clean picture. My freeview box has a signal strength indicator. Although my prime interest is DVDs, I'm sure the wife might have something to say if the pictrure quality on CSI isn't up to scratch!

echo3.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You already have Freeview, right?

This is a digital domain. As signals gradually get weaker, there is initially ABSOLUTELY NO impact on what you see. Weaker still, and there is still NO IMPACT. So long as the DA converter can still tell the difference between 1 and 0, no impact. Weaker still and, suddenly, it becomes unwatchable. Freezing, blocking and/or very loud audio glitches.

If you aren't currently experiencing any of the latter, then your Freeview reception is sufficient. More signal will make no improvement. Unlike analog TV reception, there is no gradual change to image or sound quality with changing signal strength.

After that, you are at the mercy of the broadcasters and how much compression they use. Typically this is less than $ky (hence, a better image). But more than on DVD.

3. echo3

echo3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, my freeview box indicates a signal strength varying between 69 and 78 over the six channels carrying 77 services I currently receive. The SNR varies between 26 and 28.

What does SNR mean?

I'll get a demo of freeview on a plasma and see what I think? I'll be connecting my freeview box to my SC-HT520 via RGB SCART, and then the SC-HT520 to the screen using top quality component cables and a component video board, is that the best way?

S.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I guess, Signal To Noise Ratio.

Cleanliness of the signal is much, much more important than strength. All that strength gives you is better resistance to interference. In other words, a strong signal is more likely to remain clean than a weak one. But a weak signal does not necessarily mean a dirty one.

So long as it's cean, you get no, or few, errors in the digital stream, and hence "prefect" reception.

I'm not familiar with the SC-HT520. If it's capable of converting RGB to Component then, yes I guess so. If it isn't, then that won't work. RGB and Component, whilst of equal quality, are not the same thing. You may need a separate RGB > Component converter.