jerryfudd

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just got a 4K OLED HDR tv and looking to (unfortunately) re-buy some of my movie collection after being very impressed with HDR - much more than just 4K alone.

Browsing through Amazon (where I shop the most) I'm very puzzled on how I tell if a disc is going to be HDR or not as to be honest if I already own the BluRay then HDR is the only thing I'd be willing to re-spend the cash on.

So far I've just been going on some of the 4K BluRay reviews on this site, Amazon reviews (which they rarely mention HDR) and last of all (gulp) the product picture which is far from ideal :-/

Am I missing a trick here?

thanks,

Dan

Hi,

I've just got a 4K OLED HDR tv and looking to (unfortunately) re-buy some of my movie collection after being very impressed with HDR - much more than just 4K alone.

Browsing through Amazon (where I shop the most) I'm very puzzled on how I tell if a disc is going to be HDR or not as to be honest if I already own the BluRay then HDR is the only thing I'd be willing to re-spend the cash on.

So far I've just been going on some of the 4K BluRay reviews on this site, Amazon reviews (which they rarely mention HDR) and last of all (gulp) the product picture which is far from ideal :-/

thanks,

Dan
I would say that 99.9% of 4k blu-rays have HDR. It would be harder to find the ones without.

Try looking on Blu-ray.com for the titles you are considering and interested in:

Blu-ray Movies, Blu-ray Reviews, Blu-ray Release Dates

This site will list the video and audio encoding of most titles and indicate whether the title is HDR graded and with what type of HDR:

snapshot001.jpg

Ensure you select the UK option (Union Jack) in the search bar if wanting titles that are released in the UK. Some US titles are encoded differently than they are here in the UK. Obviously select the US flag if wanting to buy an imported release.

snapshot002.jpg

Last edited:
thanks all, that's helped allot.

I would say that 99.9% of 4k blu-rays have HDR. It would be harder to find the ones without.

probably wrong but in my head I thought that 4K was around before 4K HDR so id thought it was possible that some of the blurays were non-HDR or re-released as HDR.

Dan

Sony release some titles,under the banner "Master in 4K",before 4K UHD,the idea was to get the best from your new 4K TV,before UHD & HDR was even in TV,a couple of them were good upgrade over the olders titles.

A couple of other titles without HDR,are both German releases as well

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Dog Soldier

:)

Last edited:
probably wrong but in my head I thought that 4K was around before 4K HDR so id thought it was possible that some of the blurays were non-HDR or re-released as HDR.

The first 4K TVs went on sale back in 2012, but it wasn't until 2016 that the first 4K Blu-ray players from Samsung and Panasonic went on sale. There were also quite a few 4K titles available to play on those players.

On March 1, 2016, the BDA released Ultra HD Blu-ray with mandatory support for HDR10 Media Profile video and optional support for Dolby Vision. As of January 23, 2018, the BDA spec v3.2 also includes optional support for HDR10+ and Philips/Technicolor’s SL-HDR2.

Two of the first Ultra HD 4K Blu-ray Discs released in 2016 were Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness. Both had HDR10 encodings.

HDR has been an aspect of the specs since the launch of the first players and wasn't something developed after the advent of 4K UHD.

Not all 4K releases are inclusive of HDR and its inclusion on films is optional. More new titles do however now include it than don't.

Last edited:
Only two UK non HDR UHDs I'm aware of: Extreme Nature Collection and Extreme Adventure Collection.

Mayhem
Hotel Artemis
Brawl in Cell Block 99
Texas Chain Saw Massacre
Neon Demon
Dog Soldiers
River Runs Red
Galveston

Hi,

thanks,

Dan
Yeah dont look on Amazon for reviews or info. It's mainly full of morons not helped by the fact that Amazon group all the reviews are grouped so you get DVD, Blu Ray and UHD Blu Ray all mixed up. Sometimes you can filter the results, but I've only ever seen this for CD/Vinyl, but that is rarely an option. Amazon review system is as bad as their Prime Video App, thats to say pathetic.

As mentioned look on Bluray.com

Mayhem
Hotel Artemis
Brawl in Cell Block 99
Texas Chain Saw Massacre
Neon Demon
Dog Soldiers
River Runs Red
Galveston
Thankfully the DE release of Hotel Artemis does come with a HDR10 pass though.

You can add Bad Santa 2 and stranger things S01 to that SDR list as well :rotfl:

Last edited:
Suspiria (original) Italian, german & UK release doesn't have HDR.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom