1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How sooty is this PJ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by crispybig, Oct 21, 2004.

1. crispybig

crispybig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Viewed a 6PG Xtra today that I was thinking of buying, but unfortunately it is not to be. The tubes are toast and there is no point card. There are nearly 6K hours on the tubes, and even worse the picture burn is very small 4:3 so there’s no way around it (or rather, inside it). It was a folded rear projection setup in a daylight presentation room onto a smallish screen. Maybe next time....

However, it was the amount of “soot” (I know it’s not really soot) around the HV splitter that prompted me to post this. Not having viewed the inside of many PJs (well, three!) it made me wonder if this was a bad sign of any untoward symptoms.

I say this because my own 6PG has absolutely NO soot at all – the red HV leads are still red! You couldn’t see any red at all on the Xtra I viewed today.

So you guys that have seen inside loads of PJs, check out the pic – is this to be expected for a PJ from a clean environment?

BTW I may reconsider the Xtra if I could transplant the minty tubes from my plain vanilla 6PG, but I’ve picked up that they are different. If I’m wrong in that, please let me know so I don’t kick myself later!

Thanks

Chris

Attached Files:

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes that is dirty but I have seen far worse.
    I have seen projectors with 60K hrs that are cleaner. It is all down to the environment and how the PJ does its cooling. If air is blown around the PJ then the "soot" as you call it, will tend to collect else where first.
    Clean up with a damp cloth then leave over night.

3. Barcoing Mad

Barcoing Mad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Probably best to have the projector turned off and unplugged when you use the damp cloth.

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It is an option I would agree with.
    I would also keep venomous snakes out of the room too.

5. crispybig

crispybig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the comments. Damp cloth it is, with the sensible precautions. 60K PJs - wow! :eek:

But - and I swear this is the truth - wen a wer a lad, me and a couple of mates went through a "telly bashing" phase. Not what it sounds like, perhaps, but buying dud ex rental TVs by the shed load, doing them up, and selling them on. This would be the very early 70s, when I was about 16.

Anyway, I distinctly remember we used to turn the lights out and see who could draw the longest spark between the unclipped EHT lead and our index fingers! We even dipped our fingers in salty water first for a "performance boost"! No ill effects - I think (twitch, twitch). :suicide:

:lesson: Now, kids, do NOT try this at home!

Well, after taking further advice, I ended up buying the PJ - soot and all! Red and blue are just about liveable with, but the green's a no-no. When I get round to it I'm going to try the wear-evening technique on the green as a stop gap until I source a better tube.

It will be on the back burner for some time yet as I still haven't really finished setting up my 6PG, which will remain the one on the ceiling for quite a while. Not just the PJ, but all the rest of the kit. Still trying to decide on an affordabe scaling solution. Have bought a NeuNeo scaling DVD player from China that I'm pleased with, but still need something to scale the digibox.

I'm still very new to this CRT game. Anyone any idea of what the chances are of sourcing a decent green for a 6PG Xtra? Do they ever come up on eBay, or will I just be waiting in vain. Any other sources, short of a recon one from VDC in the States? I feel there must be some, it's just a question of tracking them down.

OK, I don't expect you to give away your secrets on here! But I am in the market for one if it's in your bitz box. :smashin: