Question How Sony Smart TV is converting Stereo Signal to Dolby Digital Plus

MAULIK

Novice Member
Hello,

This is not regarding any problem, I just wanted to know how this miracle is going on.

I have following HT setup.

Sony KLV50W662F (Smart TV, non-android) to Denon X1200W setup through HDMI ARC cable. Denon is connected with TAGA Harmony 7.1 setup.

Sony TV's Dolby Digital Plus output is set to AUTO mode.

While streaming any preinstalled App on Sony TV (like SonyLIV, Voot, TubiTV, Hungama Play etc.), I am continuously getting following input signal on Denon Receiver on DIRECT MODE.

After pressing STATUS button on Denon AVR (Audio mode selected to DIRECT)
DIRECT TV
Sig : Dolby D+
fs : 48kHz
Format : 2/0/.0
Input = ARC

Also "DD" and "DIG" symbol is "ON" on the Denon display unit. "PCM" symbol is OFF. Why "PCM" turns OFF, I don't know, if I play any mp3 through pendrive on TV, "DIG" and "PCM" both turns ON on Denon

More to more, if I browse any song streaming website like gaana.com, wynk.in, using VEWD Browser on Sony TV, I am getting Dolby D+ signal too, although these websites are mp3-stereo song sites.

However, If I open preinstalled YOUTUBE APP, then I only get STEREO SIGNAL (showing PCM & STEREO input signal).

But If I browse smae YOUTUBE.COM on VEWD browser, then again I will get DD+ Signal in 2/0/.0 Format.

As you know all above sites/ app are providing 2.0 stereo signal, then HOW AM I GETTING DOLBY D+ SIGNAL IN 2/0/.0 FORMAT?

The quality of audio while getting DD+ (2/0/.0) signal is far better than for the same audio I get on Stereo PCM on same Sony TV.

I hope you understand my concern and help me to sort out my query, How Sony TV is upscaling Stereo audio to DD+ 2/0/.0 signal?

Morden

Dolby digital + can be anything from 2.0 to atmos.

Your sound is not being upscaled.

Dolby digital contains information within its headers, think, of it as an instruction set passed your amp.

Dolby digital plus will provide a better sound, as your amp is doing the leg work on processing rather than your tv. Pcr is processed at source, which is your tv.

MAULIK

Novice Member
Thanks for your prompt response but,
(1) Why same YouTube.com surfing on VEWD Browser generates DD signal and opening YouTube App gives only stereo signal.
(2) Audio Quality of playing same video/audio on "YouTube App" and "YouTube.com" differs very much, During DD signal, audio is dramatically much clear. If I upscale any music to Dolby Surround (through Denon's mode change), it will generate more clear rear channels, that is not achievable on input of stereo signal. Why so difference?
(3) All other preinstalled apps like SonyLIV, Voot, Hungama Play etc. can generate DD signal, while YouTube App can't. Netflix and Amazon Prime is also generating 5.1.
(4) While getting DD signal, "DIG" indicator is ON and "PCM" indicator turns OFF on Denon. While getting stereo signal, both "DIG" and "PCM" indicators are ON on Denon.
The only issue with Sony TV is that it is terrifically slower in response, especially VEWD Browser is like a headache. So I want to know how the TV is generating DD Signal and If there is any way to generate such DD+ from my Laptop (with Windows7)?

Morden

Thanks for your prompt response but,
(1) Why same YouTube.com surfing on VEWD Browser generates DD signal and opening YouTube App gives only stereo signal.
(2) Audio Quality of playing same video/audio on "YouTube App" and "YouTube.com" differs very much, During DD signal, audio is dramatically much clear. If I upscale any music to Dolby Surround (through Denon's mode change), it will generate more clear rear channels, that is not achievable on input of stereo signal. Why so difference?
(3) All other preinstalled apps like SonyLIV, Voot, Hungama Play etc. can generate DD signal, while YouTube App can't. Netflix and Amazon Prime is also generating 5.1.
(4) While getting DD signal, "DIG" indicator is ON and "PCM" indicator turns OFF on Denon. While getting stereo signal, both "DIG" and "PCM" indicators are ON on Denon.
The only issue with Sony TV is that it is terrifically slower in response, especially VEWD Browser is like a headache. So I want to know how the TV is generating DD Signal and If there is any way to generate such DD+ from my Laptop (with Windows7)?

Its not the tv generating it , the content has been formatted as that and is being passed through to your amp.

Stereo can in 2.0 dd or dd + or PCM or LPCM

Dolby Digital - Wikipedia

Dolby Digital Plus - Wikipedia

Pulse-code modulation - Wikipedia

Im not familiar with a VEWD browser what is that?

MAULIK

Novice Member
Its not the tv generating it , the content has been formatted as that and is being passed through to your amp.
(1) If content is formatted in DD+, then I should always get it, whatever be the source say laptop or even Firestick. But I never received DD+ 2.0 signal from any other source except this Sony TV.
(2) If content is formatted in DD+ then why YouTube App is providing only Stereo Signal. Same Video/Audio while opening youtube.com on same TV, giving DD symbol. How this is happening is my only puzzle that I want to resolve.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
@MAULIK I think when you go to youtube on the tv in that browser app you keep mentioning, VEWD, the browser itself is wrapping the stereo audio in Dolby Digital wrapper. Seen as the source is already stereo and you have your audio output format as Auto1, the signal is being passed through untouched and so then your receiver is showing as DD+ 2.0 stereo.

:)

MAULIK

Novice Member
@MAULIK I think when you go to youtube on the tv in that browser app you keep mentioning, VEWD, the browser itself is wrapping the stereo audio in Dolby Digital wrapper. Seen as the source is already stereo and you have your audio output format as Auto1, the signal is being passed through untouched and so then your receiver is showing as DD+ 2.0 stereo.

:)
Thanks Mallett94. That's the catch point, how Stereo Signal is recognized as DD+ Signal on Denon, or how SONY TV is converting/ up-scaling the same is puzzle. I have attached photo of all preinstalled apps on Sony TV. Not only that VEWD browser, All apps are continuously giving DD+ Signal, even during advertises. Also I am getting 5.1 signal on Netflix Videos, when it is available. Only YOUTUBE APP is emitting STEREO signal to Denon, why it can't is another question. I have also attached photos of DENON Panel Showing INPUT SIGNAL DD+. Note that "PCM" LED is turned OFF, exactly above "DIG" LED during DD+ signal input. Last photo is of Stereo Signal received when opening YOUTUBE APP. If SONY TV is converting DD+ by any software means, I do want to install such software in my Laptop to get DD+ by HDMI output. Awaiting for valuable feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_20201207_221746.jpg
    IMG_20201207_221746.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20201201_191525.jpg
    IMG_20201201_191525.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20201201_191545.jpg
    IMG_20201201_191545.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20201201_191601.jpg
    IMG_20201201_191601.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20201219_220246.jpg
    IMG_20201219_220246.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 38

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom