How soft is the world becoming ?

RMCF

Distinguished Member
I seen a warning the other day that, even by todays standards, I found amusing.

I was flicking through the TV Guide on the Freesat box while Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was on. I hit the 'I' button as I wanted to see if it was the original or the remake.

At the bottom of the description, in red, was written "viewers should be warned that this contains scenes that some may find very distressing".:eek:

Not even ordinary distressing, but very distressing?

I have seen that film many times, and I can't think what scenes they are chatting about tbh.

The world's gone mad I tell ye.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
You're not a kid, I assume.
I can see why kids could find some scenes very disturbing, definitely.
Gene Wilder's performance is very good, but borderline twisted in parts,.
Then you have all the scenes where the kids are 'taken away' from their parents etc.

kav

Distinguished Member
I loved the film as a child, but I do remember being terrifed by some parts, especially when Wilder goes from a kindly, eccentric man to a seemingly sociopathic nutter within a scene or two. Thankfully it all turns out fine in the end but I do remember being very scared by Willy Wonka in the middle part of the film. :blush:

What makes me laugh is the more benign children's animated films which "contain scenes of mild peril".

LeeDicko

It's funny you should mention this actually, the first time I saw it since my childhood, me and my sister both said to each other how messed up certain parts are!

I mean that bit when they go through that tunnel, doesn't a chicken get its head chopped off or something similar? I remember some creepy crawlys out of something else as well.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
If it's the Tim Burton version, the scary bit is how really, really bad it is.:(
Without a doubt, one of the worst films I've seen.

pandemic

I was just watching the news about new measures for dealing with riots, when I saw the tread topic and thought we're actually starting to move in the opposite direction.

Mind I do agree kids television today 'sucks', nothing like the Turtles, transformers, he-man, thunder cats, etc. :(
Oh and my all time favourite Knightmare gameshow :)

Coffin

Distinguished Member
It's funny you mention this as only last week I was in my hotel room in Thailand doped up on 1400mg of antibiotics a day due to a nasty bacterial infection and Depp's Wonka was on the tele

I don't know if it was the meds or otherwise but some scenes actually freaked me out slightly :)

kav

Distinguished Member
If it's the Tim Burton version, the scary bit is how really, really bad it is.:(
Without a doubt, one of the worst films I've seen.

No, the original. I haven't seen the remake but I have heard people say Depp's Wonka has slightly paedophilic overtones.

[pedant]BTW OP, the film is called Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - it's the book that's called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.[/pedant] :)

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the boat sequence in the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is properly screwed up. There's a bloke with a millipede crawling on his face for starters;

oakie

I was just watching the news about new measures for dealing with riots, when I saw the tread topic and thought we're actually starting to move in the opposite direction.

Mind I do agree kids television today 'sucks', nothing like the Turtles, transformers, he-man, thunder cats, etc. :(
Oh and my all time favourite Knightmare gameshow :)

Everything was better in the 80's :(

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
I mean that bit when they go through that tunnel, doesn't a chicken get its head chopped off or something similar? I remember some creepy crawlys out of something else as well.

Yep and it is indeed a very straneg thing in a film supposedly for children.
The thing I find weird about the original version is that it feels as if its Nazi germany if they had won the war.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Knightmare gameshow :)

I worked with the guy who was the "dungeonmaster" for three days with the strangest feeling he was familiar to me.

Finally twigged on the last day "Eff me your Tregard dude!". Had a good laugh about it ; he said it paid for his house :smashin:

nice guy.

LeeDicko

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the boat sequence in the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is properly screwed up. There's a bloke with a millipede crawling on his face for starters

Yep, that's the bit I was talking about, even now I find it mildly freaky!

Rog69

Distinguished Member
Did anyone watch Hancock on channel 5 the other day? Couldn't really understand why on the tv listing it was shown as HanC***??

I just got back from the hair dressers and there was an article about that in one of the red-tops I browsed through while waiting. Apparently the same TV listings also had details of a football match with Arsenal edited out into something much funnier and ruder.

I guess someone set up some kind of swear filter software with it locked down a little too much.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
I've been saying it for ages....we're becoming pussies.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Did anyone watch Hancock on channel 5 the other day? Couldn't really understand why on the tv listing it was shown as HanC***??

A similar thing happened when Scunthorpe turned started a new website that had a, somewhat unintelligent, swear filter.... :suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom