1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How slow do i need to go, and how?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by buns, May 25, 2003.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I currently have a celeron 1.3 and have a fan accordingly. Instead of mess about with quiet fans and al that malarky, i just want rid of the fan (and presumably suffice with a heat sink). Now im presuming to have to underclock the processor some way to achieve this. Speed is not an issue since the processor currently does almost no work and will soon be doing even less. So how far do i need to run it down to get shot of the fan? If i got it to 650, would that be ok? Now, how do i actually achieve underclocking!?

many thanks

ad

2. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Not sure if you could get rid of the fan at any speed with this proc as it needs a set voltage to actualy work. you would need a proc that is designed for low power usage, i.e. via eden/c3 proc.

3. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    It can be done but you would need a big heatsink and as grahamC says a processor that could take it. I dont think a 650 would be slow enough and it may still produce loads of heat, the very first pentiums had a problem with heat and they were 60mhz! Also if you had no fan you would realise how noisey other things are such as the psu and harddrive, you might want to try some sound insulation for the case. Thats what I did and it had a pronounced effect even with a few fans buzzing away in my case.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah....... didnt realise that. Loks like i'll just have to go with quiet fans because the stability of the little processors is unproven with what im trying to do.

many thanks

ad

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's quite possible to do with the stock heatsink if you underclock and undervolt. Both are done through the system BIOS - the former can only be achieved by lowering the FSB speed and the latter is not possible on many motherboards, although there are ways of getting round this, IIRC.

I found the Cel-T 1.2GHz in my HTPC ran fine without a fan just using the stock heatsink (at default clockspeed and voltage!). I just a had a small 60mm, low-noise fan in the back of the case directly behind the CPU heatsink that extracted the hot air - I was thinking of making a small duct to channel the air but it turned out to be unnecessary. There is quite a bit of variation between dice though and I don't know too many people that have been similarly lucky. Now I've moved the 60mm fan (which is virtually silent) onto the CPU heatsink and am running the CPU at @1.38GHz. Any slower and the system isn't capable of playing DVDivX/AC3 rips smoothly.

Is this for HTPC use? I'd go the quiet fans route as well - you'd be suprised just how little airflow you can get away with.

MuFu.

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is indeed for hcpc use, almost totally hardware based as well..... 450Mhz is probably sufficient.

I'll have a look at quiet fans then

ad