1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How simple is it to get a Squeezebox up and running ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by deaf cat, Apr 22, 2005.

1. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi

Unfortunatly I am one of those unlucky people that can not install anything new on a computer without the thing breaking :mad: and then I spend numerous hours trying to get it to work again - however this squeezebox thing sounds as if it may be worth a bash. :rolleyes:

Am I right in thinking I have my PC in another room (with lossless tracks on HHD) and from the HiFi room I can tell it what to play and it comes out in Audiophile Quality...?? :thumbsup:

I have at the moment:
    Firewire HHD connected to 1.2GHz Laptop -> M-Audio Audiophile USB -> Chord Digital Cable -> Arcam AVR200 -> Speakers
    And sounds FAB to me !! :clap:

My old desk top is an old AMD300 CPU I don't know if this will have enough ooomph to be my music storage box and run the squeezebox.

So to put it in very simple lingo what would I need to do to get the SBox up and running ? - And do you think there would be any quality loss ?

Very much look forward to hearing any thoughts you may have.
    Thank you.

2. gorrieman

gorrieman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's the basic principal of it..yep. I have just opted for a cheap Linksys wireless streamer to do the same job pretty much.

Are you buying the squeezebox or squeezebox2? And are you using wireless or not? There are a few of these devices around... some will only handle WMA or MP3 (like the linksys)... some can handle ogg or wav etc etc. The sound quality will depend on what device you opt for, what connection method you use, and how much your files have been compressed.

Andy.

3. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58

Thanks for the reply,

I guessed I would go for the sb2 as it is newer....improved.....?
    Although I will be using the digital out, so the new DAC in the sb2 would more than likely not be used.

I would like to go wireless, but I think I need a wireless network which may not work too well with a really old AMD300 desk top (win98) as the server. The laptop (1.2GHz XP) may do, but its nice to have that mobile, so I am thinking I will crossover cable it to the laptop for the time being untill I sort a server out.

Sound quality wise, do you think it would be better quality sound repro over a wire?
    I have WMA lossless files at the mo. It seems that FLAC is thought of as pritty good, so I may give that a go on the cds that I have not ripped yet.

I am not really aware of any other streeming boxes.

How are you finding your Linksys ?

Cheers

4. gorrieman

gorrieman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Linksys is OK... in fact, considering I only paid £35 for it I am really quite chuffed.

I am using wireless, but it's only 802.11b... however, it seems adequate for streaming MP3's & WMA's. The squeezebox2 does look good tho.

I was worrying about the fact the Linksys WMA11B didn't have optical out, but then put it in to perspective that my source files are already compressed, they are being transferred over 11Mbps Wireless... so would optical really make any difference anyway. I've hooked the Linksys up to my Yamaha Home Cinema Receiver in the lounge and so far so good.

1 point to note tho... I haven't been able to get any files that I've downloaded to work yet... probably due to their protection. I spoke with a colleague who uses the Netgear 101... he has the same issue. He reckons that one of our other colleagues who has the original squeezebox has the same issue ...:grrrrrr:

Andy.

5. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    You won't find anything that plays copy protected files (other than a PC) except I believe the AirPort express from Apple will play music from the Apple music store.

I have just set up the Netgear MP101 (£60 from PC World recently) - I'm pretty pleased with it. It's wired to a wireless bridge and talks to a machine upstairs as a server - the supplied wireless is supposedly a bit temprimental (sp?). That said I'm using software from www.twonkmedia.de not netgear and there are lots of people having issues with the MP101. If you're not that techie or don't want the fuss then I would look at something slightly more expensive and better supported.

The only thing my MP101 has baulked at so far are some I bought from Warp Records (Nightmares on Wax) - they aren't copy protected (Warp don't treat their fans as theives) but they are variable bit rate MP3 which I think is more than the MP101 can handle though it may be a Twonky problem - who knows?

6. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    802.11b... I think I saw the SB2 used 802.11g somewhere, may as well be talking gogolegoook to me I am afraid. What does the g / b mean....please.

Talking of the wireless set up I have heard names such as 3com and Buffalo may these be simple to set up?

Would any particular type/make send the signal better to provide a nice clean good signal for a DAC to do its business on?

Thanks in advance,
    (sorry I think this is drifting into another section of the forum.)

7. BruceH

BruceH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    SB2 does use G (54 Mb/s) as opposed to b (11 Mb/s)

I am running an SB at the moment well SBG (graphics upgrade), I have an SB2 arriving tomorrow (yay!!!)

not sure if the SB2 favours any particular access point, but the slimdevices forums are probably a good bet.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/

8. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Pretty good read,
    Where did you get yours from? supply seems to be a tad limited, some only doing the SB, the SB2 does not seem to have filtered through yet.

How does it sound ??