How should I get a connection to my bedroom?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Jamsta, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Jamsta

Jamsta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a drawing on paint to try and make it easier to explain (excuse my paint skills lol)

http://i2.tinypic.com/61vcrbo.png

Basically, I need a connection for my 360. Since I've got the 360 I've had to use it in the room next to the office using a wired connection.
    As I'm getting a HDTV for my bedroom next month I need to get a connection up there!

I've got a router by the window in the office and I've been using my psp to test the signal strength.. In my room I get a signal of 30-40% where my xbox/wireless adapter would be, which really isn't strong enough.
    However the signal from the office to the spare room is 100%, I was wondering if I could connect the router from the office to another router in the spare room and then connect the router in the spare room to the xbox using the ethernet cable?

The way I want to do it is by wired connection, I got no idea if this is possible though. We can't really get a wire going through the walls in the house so the best way would be to run a wire outside through the office wall, then in through my bedroom wall. If you look at the diagram I tried to show what I mean!
    About how much would this option cost if we got someone in to do it?

Thanks if you can help!

2. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The box for the spare room you're after is a 'wireless bridge' rather than a router and if the connection is good, as you say it is, then that would be a good solution. You can get multiport wireless bridges too which would mean that you could connect extra kit to it in the future.

Alternatively, you could try a Homeplug kit. You'd need a pair and they plug into a mains socket and present an ethernet port that you connect up to the office router / xbox. They run ethernet over your mains wiring and the 85Mbps rated examples should achieve data rates as good as or better than a 54Mbps 802.11g wireless network (can vary alot depending on your wiring).

HTH,
    pingu.

3. Jamsta

Jamsta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, I'm going to look into the wireless bridge as that sounds like what I was looking for.
    I've got a Linksys 802.11g router and i've just found this bridge that should work with it:
    http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=236146&sourceid=2019

So all I would have to do is, set the router up by the window. Set the wireless bridge in the spare room. Plug an ethernet cable into it and then into the back of my 360 and it will work?

I have seen homeplugs before but I'm not sure about them because the electricity is on a different circuit in the office so I dont see how they can work in my house

4. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Yes, that should do it. I do think offical wireless bridges are a bit of a rip off though - all the hardware required is usually present in routers which are cheaper.
    When I did this I got hold of a linksys WRT54GS (have to be careful about hardware version) and changed the firmware for some open source/freeware called HyperWRT. This basically allowed me to put it into Wireless Bridge mode (plus open a whole load of other options the hardware could do that the linksys firmware didn't give access to). So I got a 4 port wireless bridge for £40.

Fair enough re the Homeplugs.