How should I connect console/receiver/TV?

elpedr0

Novice Member
My LG OLED55B7V has ARC, so I've been using it with my Pioneer SC LX58 receiver with just one HDMI cable between them and I only use the TV remote, which has kept things really simple for all residents.

Now we've inherited a Sony ps3, so I'm wondering what is the best way to connect this?

As far as I'm aware, there are two options:
1) connect PS3 to TV via HDMI
2) connect PS3 to receiver via HDMI
In both cases, I leave the TV connected to the receiver using the ARC-enabled HDMI sockets.

My speaker set up is 5.1

Is one way better than the other, and if so, why?
Keen to learn so any info gratefully received.

D

Deleted member 39241

If you connect the source to the TV you are then reliant on the TV to pass the best possible audio through to the AVR

If you connect the source to the AVR, you are then reliant on the AVR passing the best possible video through to the TV.

In your case, it looks like your AVR should be able to passthrough the video from the PS3 to the TV, so connecting it to the AVR should be best.

elpedr0

Novice Member
Cool thank you @Rambles.

As I've only ever used the receiver to play the audio of the TV, and I use ARC, I've never actuallly switched the input of the receiver. And so I suppose it's permanently on 'TV'. If I plug the PS3 into the receiver, will I have to toggle the input between TV and Console? The reciever won't automatically switch input when I power up the PS3 will it?

D

Deleted member 39241

Cool thank you @Rambles.

As I've only ever used the receiver to play the audio of the TV, and I use ARC, I've never actuallly switched the input of the receiver. And so I suppose it's permanently on 'TV'. If I plug the PS3 into the receiver, will I have to toggle the input between TV and Console? The reciever won't automatically switch input when I power up the PS3 will it?
It might do it automatically if it has CEC aka Control for HDMI enabled. These are cross manufacturer protocols that enable devices to control each other and auto switch or share remote controls.

Sometimes they are helpful, and sometimes they are not. You should be able to disable them if you want to.

If you prefer to connect the PS3 to the TV, you can. But you will not be able to passthrough some of the higher quality audio codecs to the amp via ARC.

By all means, try it both ways and see which you prefer.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom