• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How secure are IP CCTV cameras?

DazzGreen

Hi all,

I'm looking at using a couple of IP CCTV cameras as OTT baby monitors. I don't need any recording facilities, and want to use an iphone / ipad for viewing live stream. My budget is limited so I'm thinking in the hundreds, not the thousands.

My question is are they secure? I wouldn't mind the world hacking in and viewing my front lawn, but not my kids in bed! I may be being over concerned, but these are my kids!

Your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

rhinoman

They are as secure as your wifi network, avoid WEP and be looking to WPA and you as good as can be reasonably expected.

eyepete

They are as secure as your wifi network, avoid WEP and be looking to WPA and you as good as can be reasonably expected.

Agreed. But remember the WPA encryption only locks it down within your network. You should ensure that the IP camera you buy has support for authenticated users (so you can set up username/password access).

And if the IP camera does HTTPS streaming it'll make it even more secure.

Pete

Soundy106

BTW, the alternative, if you want to view the cameras on your iPhone/iPad, would be a DVR with web/network viewing... and that puts you in the same spot with regards to security. If someone could hack their way into viewing your cameras, they could probably hack their way into your DVR as well.

Chiggs

Standard Member
I'm in a similar position to the original posting with a similar budget. Are there any recommendations for cameras. Any help appreciated.

eyepete

I'm in a similar position to the original posting with a similar budget. Are there any recommendations for cameras. Any help appreciated.

There are loads to choose from.

Are you going to be using them as baby monitors or for security?

Do you want IP cams to be stand alone and record to your computer or to a DVR etc?

Any other requirements?

That would all help I'm sure in being able to offer a pertinent recommendations.

Pete

Chiggs

Standard Member
Mainly using it for a baby monitor. Night time abilities would also make it handy. Will probably use it for stand alone purpose, although hoping to add a NAS device in the future - I think the Synology range have facilities for IP camera recording.

Both wife and I have iphones and ability to view either via web interface or app would be handy. Not looking to spend more than £100.

eyepete

Mainly using it for a baby monitor. Night time abilities would also make it handy. Will probably use it for stand alone purpose, although hoping to add a NAS device in the future - I think the Synology range have facilities for IP camera recording.

Both wife and I have iphones and ability to view either via web interface or app would be handy. Not looking to spend more than £100.

Any IP cam with decent IR based night vision should do the job.

I think there are a couple of 'cheapish' models on Amazon that might fit the bill (around £70) but at that price I wouldn't expect great quality or robustness.

Pete

Chiggs

Standard Member
Thanks Pete - I'll take a chance with a 'surepromise' camera on Amazon. Build quality isn't great but reviews tell me it may do the job.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom