How RIDICULOUS are Lloyds TSB???

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mh123, Oct 25, 2005.

1. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    My son has just turned 14. "About time he sorted himself out a bank account" thought I, especially as he just received a couple of cheques in his name as birthday gifts.

We live a good few miles from the nearest town, but there's a post office nearby, so a quick browse on the web for kiddie bank accounts that can be operated via the post office threw up a few suggestions.

Best of the bunch seemed to be Lloyds TSB's Under-19 account. He can pay in at the PO, withdraw at Link machines, no commitment to regular deposits, £1 minimum balance etc.. Automatic upgrade to a student account as and when the time comes.

So off we go to Lloyds to get an application form (can't get one online... shouldv'e smelt a rat at that stage). "Sorry sir, but BEFORE I can issue an application form, I need to see a Passport AND a Birth Certificate". This I thought a little odd.... we only wanted an application form! I understand the need to prove identity, and passport/birth cert with a completed form would have been reasonable.

THEN came the killer. "Do you bank with us already sir?". "No" came the reply. "Well in that case, we also need a letter of recommendation from an existing customer before we will consider your [son's] application".

I can't post my response as I walked out of the building in utter disgust :devil:

Now it takes a lot to flabber my gast......

2. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,039
    sounds like an old boys golf club!! need a letter of recommendation! he's 14!!! and to give an application form a passport and birth certificate!! whats the world coming to!! you sure the bank teller didnt get it wrong?

3. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    thanks for the info.

I was just about to setup an account with lloydsTSB, looks like I'll go somewhere else now :thumbsup:

It amazes me how ridiculously pedantic banks etc are being these days since the new rules came in..

I had a run in with the firm that does my books a few months back... they phone me at work, to tell me that they would be terminating their association with me, unless I could provide copies of my passport, birth certificate, and a utility bill, all witnessed by either the local police or a magistrate... :confused:

The joke is, they've been handling all my tax and NI contributions for the last 5 years :eek:

Anyway, they got sacked there and then, so it all ended well... :devil:

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm surprised they didn't ask your son to look straight into the camera, hold his ID number clearly beneath his face, then turn to the side ...

Jeez, it would be easier these days to just lock everyone up, then only release them if they can prove their innocence to the satisfaction of a senior judge (which, I realise, is paraphrasing a bit of a rant from Grim in the 'Thin Blue Line', but hey, why not?) ...

5. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lloyds are a nightmare. My life is sweetness and light since I dropped them for a Smile account.

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    No such trouble when my brother's opened Barclays + Natwest accounts

7. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barclays have a history of :censored: me off, which is why I've spent so many years (almost 18 in fact) being loyal to NatWest.

8. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Whilst smugly watching friends and wife having nightmares with (amongst others) Nat West, Barclays and First Direct, it seems i'm the only happy Lloyds customer round here!!!

But you lot are bigger than me so i'll say nothing :D

9. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Slightly different but on the same sort of lines.
    The company I work for are upgrading the IT systems. Included in this is a swipe card system.
    Bearing in mind I've worked for the company for several years and they've been paying me happily. In order to obtain a swipe card I have to provide 2 forms of photo ID and 2 utility bills.
    I happened to point out to them I already have an ID card which has a photograph and other details on which they isued to me when I joined the company (After checking my passport and utility bills!) This is unnacceptable as ID! So is a credit or debit card!
    Amazing....! Unfortunately my attitude is if a driving licence and utility bill isn't good enough then i'm afraid you won't be able to issue me with a swipe card..... Ho Hum.
    I'm also not alone.......
    What a pathetic world we live in.

10. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    If you look at the bottom of your birth certificate it says in big bold letters

"WARNING: A CERTIFICATE IS NOT EVIDENCE OF IDENTITY"

So why do the bank want to see it??
    I always use my grandmothers birth cert, same name, but I'm apparently 130 years old and they never notice ............

11. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hurt from laughing now, you git! :rotfl:

I know, how about we have some sort of national ID card scheme that ...

12. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,039
    speaking of brith certificates i no longer have one because the idiots at the passport office lost mine when i applied for a new one and submitted my birth certificate as ID

13. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Add me to the list. Never had any problems with them whatsoever.

14. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Heh - UK bank account suck bad.

I just opened a German bank account, dead easy .... took myself and a my passport and hey presto! I got an account. No "prove this" "prove that" horse waste.... easy peasey lemon squeezey :thumbsup:

Even got online banking setup for me in front of me ... no wait for this pin or that id certificate malarky.

Time taken? 15mins. :D

*edit* Also, no credit check run and all they asked was where I live, didn't even need to prove it.

15. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    This all comes down to the problems that I now encounter on a regular basis.

As far as i.d. goes I'm now in a real pickle.

All my bills are done online, so no utility bills.

My passport expired two years ago and because of ill health I doubt I'll need another.

I no longer hold a driving license.

In fact I now can't prove who I am as far as banks and checks for money laundering go, even though I've held some funds for years.

The only way I could get proof last time was from my GP and birth certificate, that was only 2 and i needed 3 and was refused. No one wiil take computer print outs or photocopies.

So that now means to them i'm a fraud or don't exist (hence my name)

They allways say I must have something else but when they go through them I haven't. It's crazy.

16. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Anyone have experience of the Coop bank ? Thinking about changing to them. As for Lloyds my wife use to be with them and she is well rid.

17. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    I had a laugh not so long ago when a bank told me that my ID card wasn't a proof of ID :thumbsup:

18. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,300
    It wasn't like this when I was a Griffin Saver...

19. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

FWIW, all banks are run by conglomerate :censored:-wits, in my not so humble opinion!

All of these banks seem to want forms of ID that any other form of service would deem more than practicable for the purpose of ID'ing you. It's shocking that a birth certificate, passport, and/or company photo ID card are often rejected as being unsuitable forms of ID.

Ultimately, though, the best banking screw-ups are often made by the HSBC - the World's Local Bank. To cut a long story, short, HSBC (formerly Midland Bank) are so-called, because it stands for Hong Kong, Shanghai Banking Company.

So why is it, that a student from Hong Kong, can't open a basic account with an English branch of HSBC, because the poor sod is told "Sorry, but we can't authorise ID from people in the Far East!" WTF?!

Pooch

P.S. I'm with Nationwide... for the moment, at least. :eek:

20. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'm surprised how annoyed everyone is that they have to provide proof of identity to open a bank account.

For a start, its for your own protection:

1) without thorough identification, somebody could open an account in YOUR name and use the account for various criminal activity....
    2) It helps prevent money laundering which is important for minimising terrorist capital flows, fraud, proceeds of general crime etc...
    3) helps reduce benefit fraud.
    4) Should give the customer peace of mind that the bank is following sensible procedures and is well-managed. Do you want your bank accepting money from anyone & anycorp ltd. ??

Just a few pointers people should keep in mind before slating their bank!

DT

And no I don't work for TSB!!

21. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    But with the original post it was 'when' they asked for ID that is annoying. Not even letting somebody have the forms to fill in without ID is ridiculous. Ask for it when the forms are going to be proccesed, by all means. But it's un-necessary at any point before that.

22. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    better than telling them they can't open the account without ID AFTER having filled the form out, no?

They might as weel check to see if the account opener actually has proof of identity - not everybody has a passport/birth cert/utility bills.....

DT

23. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    About two years ago when my wife and I were still dating and owned separate houses we decided to open a joint account to save for the wedding and a new house together.
    Barclays told us that we couldn't have a joint account if we lived at different addresses.
    My wife did actually sell her house and move in with me before we got married. BUT if we had wanted to be traditional and save for a new house that we could move into after we got married then Barclays wouldn't have let us!
    Suffice to say when we did get a joint account it deffinately wasn't a Barclays account, and they have now lost out on a double income current account and all the other savings accounts that go with it. :D

-Neil

24. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    I disagree. The bank said
    They could have easily said "BEFORE I can issue an application form, I need to ask if your son has a Passport AND a Birth Certificate". If the answer is yes, then just ask the customer to bring these items with them when they return with the completed form. It's not like they can do anything illegal with just the appllication form anyway.

25. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I had two objections:

... 1. That the ID was needed before the form was issued. Great for trees, but a right pain in the @ss when you live in a rural environment and simply getting to the bank in the first place puts you an hour (and £1 in the pay&display) out of your way

... 2. That they wouldn't entertain my son as a customer unless his parent(s) banked with them, or unless we could rustle up a letter of recommendation!!

Proof of ID is one thing, and I have no problem with supplying this in conjunction with an application form. It's the second objection that I have a real problem with!!!! :mad:

26. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Can someone tell me why my "out of date" passport is not proof of ID?

27. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    FYI halifax are better for kids accounts

28. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After many years of being dicked about by HSBC, them shortening their counter hours, and reducing their services, and outsourcing a majority of their operations to call centres in India I finally switched to Alliance and Leicester.

The transfer was fairly painless, and it was a pleasure to deal with real people on the other end of the line, as far as I can tell most of them are either based in Liverpool or Leeds.

I have dealt with most other banks in the past includes NatWest (an obvious misspelling comes to mind here), Barclays, and Halifax and left them all for one reason or another.

29. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    Just think about inheritance tax :eek:

30. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    moiney is the route of all evil!

spend it all on beer!

Mega Smileys

* C=}>;*{)) A drunk, devilish chef with a toupee in an updraft, a mustache, and a double chin.