How reliable is the av32r &c.?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by eisenach, Jun 5, 2005.

1. eisenach

eisenach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've had my AV32R and 100x5R for just over 2 months now, and every time I switch it on I still get nervous at the clicks, thumps and scrolling "self test" message. It seems to me it can't last! Do they keep on working, or am I right to think I should keep my PA20R - just in case!?

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Never had a peep out of my AV32R, it was bought as an ex demo 96khz 7.1 model in 2001 had the 192khz DACs added and then upgraded to DP in May 2003. ITS worked fine without a glitch and it get used nearly every day :thumbsup: What makes you so nervous that its going to go wrong? Is it just the fact that you can hear the relays in operation? :confused:

3. eisenach

eisenach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well, it does make a racket, doesn't it!? I've never had a piece of HiFi make such worrying noises. Then there's the fact it seems to need to self test itself, as if it's not all that confident itself that it's going to work!
    Just paranoia, I know, but I get nervous every time my finger goes to press the standby button.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I don't think you should worry too much....I've had 2 AV32R's now,the first being a SP version which was sold recently,and a DP to replace it.
    Neither have given any trouble and as to the noise of relays.....when you've heard a set of Krells starting up,with the fans and assorted relays,you'll realise it isn't a problem....it's when you don't hear them,or it doesnt finish it's self test when you should worry.

Relax and enjoy the AV32R.

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The fact that you can hear relays is a good sign as it indicates it has better quality internal components than most ;) And isn't it better that it performs a self test than not?

6. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Bleating about the fact that the kit and the developers were smart enough to support self-tests? Come on, eiisenach, you’re having a giraffe, right?

Is it the fact that, like your PC, it does a Power-On System Test (POST) or the fact that you can hear the relays? If it’s the latter, it’s explained on page 26 of the manual under Muting. If it is the former, you’ll understand why IT users worry themselves into an early grave over POST, fretting about whether their files will be available when they power up their PC each morning.

Personally, I’d rather it told about a problem if it found one and gave me a clue to the cause of death or what is needed to get it running again?

7. eisenach

eisenach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yeh, well, never did really get to grips with computers. Not bleating, just nervous! An old dinosaur really (transistors are new-fangled things)!

8. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    My first AV32R, an SP, was an early 5.1, no BP, no 192k or anything, bought Jan 2000, that worked like a charm for the 18 months I had it, I used to leave it in standby mostly because I used it every day. I sold it to a chap who recently sold it on eBay, he never had any problems with it, he used to switch off his entire hifi every night, isolating it all from the mains.

Now I have a DP, that had a fault when new which was sorted straight away and since then I've had no problem. I expect the DP to behave the same as the SP, other people's do. Except for some headaches with the earliest SP to DP upgrades, they are reliable units.

So just enjoy using it and stop worrying. :thumbsup:

9. eisenach

eisenach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So that's all right, then! :)