How reliable are projectors?

jollyranchers

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a question for long term projector users -

Apart from consumables such as projector bulbs how reliable are projectors ? Have any of you had any issues that required the projector to be returned for repair ?

I'm debating whether to buy an Optoma HD141X from currys at £399 purely as I already have £260 in vouchers

The same projector is in Richer sounds at same price although you get the 5 year warranty

Which got me thinking about how reliable they are

Buy OPTOMA HD141X Full HD Home Cinema 3D Projector | Free Delivery | Currys

Optoma HD141X Black | 3D DLP Projector 1080p HD Ready | Richer Sounds

I have had 4pj's since 2002, the first (480p) had owned for 4yrs approx 700hrs no issues, 2nd(720p) owned 18 months 400-500 hrs no issues,3rd Optoma HD20(1080p) 4yrs & still have it, done around 900hrs. I did send it back for a new board under warranty after 2yrs (switch on issue, you had to unplug it and plug back in for it to fire up) since been fine.

4th pj got it 3-4yrs ago (400/500hrs) no issues other than a couple dust blobs which you get with lcd at some stage.

No bulbs needed replacing on any pj's.

Hi, I have had my Panasonic PT1000AE for nearly 8 years.
I think it is on its 4th bulb.
I am still delighted with the PQ and it is a pleasure to own.
I have a minor recurrent problem with a sticky dynamic iris that can cause the PJ to cut out on start up. I learned how to fix it with a spray of wd 40. (thanks you tube.)
I would love to have a new 3d PJ but my original keeps on rolling.
i dont think you can go wrong for the bang for your buck.
stasis.

I replaced my Optoma HD72i in November this year, I bought it way back in March 2006, I racked up just over 3,500 trouble free hours before having to replace the lamp in 2010, I then racked up a further 3,600 trouble free hours before that lamp expired, as it was also showing signs of colour wheel problems I replaced it with a BenQ w1070. I'm pretty sure I've had my money's worth from the old PJ and when you bear in mind that back in 2006 it cost £1,500, it was still good value.

They are pretty reliable pieces of kit as long as you look after them (keep them clean, follow the instructions especially for lamp cool down modes) and as Stasis says you can't go wrong with regards to bang for your buck, even more so now the prices are so good. If you've never had one before you will be blown away at the clarity and impact of a true big screen experience.

I got my first projector in 07. I just replaced it in 14.. so that would be what.. 7 years. I actually replaced it because it wasn't HD, not because it broke. I've only had my second projector a few months. Both were refurbs.. so there is evidence that they break but if you keep the vents clean, plenty of air flow around em, and feed em good power, you should see as long of life as a good lcd tv. That is to say, longer than the standard the projector uses is the top.

Got my panny Jan06 only 1300 hours on it and it has not missed a beat!
Although I do have itchy feet and have been looking at the Sony PJs. Not been to view yet though...

thanks for your replies guys , looks like its going to be richer sounds as currys have no stock of the HD141x and said they wont be getting any more in

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
thanks for the link decided to go for the BenQ 1070 pick it up from Richer Sounds on Friday

Hope I have made the right choice ! the HD26 projector does look good in its all white case !

106" motorised screen came today from Amazon , mounted it before and looks good

You're going to love it, I still recall the first time I powered my Panny over 5 years ago. Currently have a JVC, haven't had it on as much due to time commitments, so being used to watching a decent plasma, fired her up over Christmas and was wowed again. The clarity and colours are superb, I have a 100" so with your 106" you are on for a treat.
If you have an av receiver as well, might want to treat yourself again and get a harmony remote in the sales!

thanks for the replies guys , pick up the Benq tomorrow , just been weighing up projector lifts and linear actuators...

got my Benq 1070 today and spent the afternoon hacking at the ceiling getting it to fit !

Straight out the box , switched on and very impressed !

Thanks to all for your comments

I've owned two small projectors a Benq PB6200 and Vivitek D509, both of which i used to carry around in a rucksack on public transport, to balance on shelves and watch movies at mates houses. I've had them set up at parties where they've fallen over and overheated (protection shut-down). Never had any problems until the bulb died (roughly when expected).

I now own a JVC HD100... so no more rucksack journeys... With more expensive projectors where things like "convergence" matter, I expect that kind of treatment might mess em up a bit.

Good choice on the 1070.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom