Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

How quiet is your HTPC ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by BiggieBig, Nov 1, 2005.

1. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I currently have a FIC Spectra Media Centre PC - (Re-branded Elonex Artisan 3.6Ghz)

It's meant to be one of the quieter HTPCs but when I have it on all the time even when it's idle the fans make a slight background noise.

When I watch sky + through DScaler CPU goes to 50% and the fans kick in making too much noise. If I set DScaler to prioritise other programs instead
    CPU @ 5% but now the screen judders when there's a fast moving object.

The CPU is fanless but the power supply has two small fans that obviously kick in when the unit gets hot (which is quite often)

Is it possible to have a completely silent HTPC, would I be able to change the power supply for fanless ?. (Looks like every things propriety in this unit)

2. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    It is possible but you need to make some sacrifices. I spent a great deal of time (and money) getting mine to a level that I was happy with...it is now very quiet indeed, and runs:

1 x 120mm CPU fan
    1 x 60mm case fan

Both are running at minimum speed, the CPU fan runs lower than 1200rpm. They are manually controlled, so no matter what the PC is doing, the noise level does not change.

The PSU and graphics card are both fanless. The case is sound proofed and inside a (open backed) cabinet.

The CPU is an Athon XP 3200+, underclocked to 2500+ equivalent (1890Mhz or something like that), and undervolted to 1.40v.

Lots of work but at least I have some peace now :)

3. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The issue you have is the size of the case - to get sufficient airflow you need either more fans of the same size running v. slowly or bigger fans running v. slowly. In the size of case the artisan is that's not possilbe.
    FWIW the PC spec'd below is silent and runs 5 fans - non above 800rpm, 4 are rated at <10dBA at this speed, the 5th the (120mm) CPU fan only spins when necessary and the speed is controlled upto a max of ~1200RPM - saying that - even running a burnin-in test running the CPU at 100% for 30 mins it never gets past the 1st speed setting (i/e/ very* slow) - the PSU has an active fan only spinning up when absolutly necessay - 99% of the tome it's off, the rest it's so slow you can't here it anyway.
    The box is big though ; but that's the trade off.

4. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,895
    Hi Skunkpipe...How do you get your fans to run so slowly? Is it motherboard controlled, or have you got transitors inbetween the cables? Or are they ready made?

That Elan Vital PSU is absolutely fantastic, I've got one and it is so silent, so stable...Well recommended....

5. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The fans are 'Acoustifan Dustless' - these come with a cable that allows you to run them at 5V, 7V or 12V. I run all mine at 5V. I can only hear it, and then only just, when my ear is about 6 inches away. You can get a similar result with a Zalman fanmate (5v to 9v IIRC) or an inline resistor (7V)

6. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the CPU fan is motherboard controlled though. I have 4 (Off + 3 on) fan speed setting all relating to CPU temp - this are configurable in the BIOS setup. Fnas come on slow at 40, medium at 55 and fast at 60. I've yet to see it break the 50c barrier (tested using burn-in test at www.passmark.com )

7. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,895
    Passmark is quite interesting...Just done mine...Even my Pentium D 820 didn't get about 43 degrees...The system was 48 degrees and PWM1-4 52 degrees....It stays very silent, just want to get rid of that last little hummm...

8. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    so does that mean there's nothing I can do to make this PC run more silently because it's physically too small to accomadate any additional fans. Also I think the fans are for the case and not the power supply.

9. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get quieter fans - Panaflo fans give V good airflow with reduced noise. I wouldn'#t recommend Acousticfans in this instance, as although they're the quietest, much of this is achieved by reduced airflow; in a restricted case with minimal fans this is not a good idea