1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how quickly does burn-in take?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Caimbeul, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    :hiya: Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone knows generally how long it would take for an image to burn into the screen on a plasma?

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    What screen?

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    OK. Image burn-in is a consequence of the ageing of the phosphors. As soon as you illuminate a phosphor, it begins to deteriorate (dim). The more it's illuminated (i.e. both brighter and longer), the more it deteriorates. This process is typically more marked the newer the screen; i.e. it slows down as the overall ageing of the phosphors continues.

This process actually begins (imperceptibly at first) as soon as you turn it on. How long it takes before it becomes noticeable is a factor of

a) to what extent the screen was illuminated unevenly; burn-in is only actually noiced when some part of the screen ages (dims) more than another, as might occur with prolonged display of the same, bright, channel logo. More random use will age the screen uniformly; this isn't noticeable.

b) brightness and contrast levels you use - especially when new (say, in the first 200 hours), but also ongoing.

c) the robustness of the phosphors used (in other words the make of screen).

So - reduce brightness and contrast to the lowest levels you can tolerate for the first 200 hours or so. Buy a good brand of screen. Don't leave it on overnight with the same channel logo displayed. And expect several years of viewing.

4. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Cheers LV426 - I was mainly getting at something like if i fall asleep for a few hours watching a channel with a constant logo on, am i likely to have prematurely killed of the screen?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    Caimbeul

Your missing the important point in the other replies - every Plasma manufacturer uses its own 'phosphors'; some can be very prone to non permanent after images, some of those models can be prone to permanent after images and the best panels are now pretty much indestructible.

If you do have a panel that is susceptible to non permanent afterimage and fear you may fall asleep ensure you don't have the contrast set too high and if you have the option use the 'Off Timer' function many units offer.

Best regards

Joe

6. Asaf

Asaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Joe,

Can you mention which brands are the indestructible kind?

asaf

7. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    panasonic, or to be honest most new 2005 screens will be good in this department.

8. colonel_butt

colonel_butt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a Hitachi. In first few months used to keep vague ghosting of nickelodean logo and such for 10-20 mins after switching channel (after being on same logo for an hour or so).

I have had it for 3 years now and limited ghosting effects for a few minutes only after logo has been on for a long time.

Nothing permanent on the screen at all. It looks just as good as when I got it.

I think this is overplayed a bit, understandable when people are going to part with their cash I guess. However, for screens over 30" I don't think, except for expensive dlp projectors, there is any real competition for plasma quality (and I include LCDs)

rgds

9. Clabs

Clabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Caimbul - I have had a Hitachi 42PMA400E. I was petrified of screen burn at first. Taking advice from these forums, I reduced the contrast and brightness considerably. To be honest, I think that the factory default contrast and brightness settings are set way too high, and my screen has been kept on my reduced setings ever since, which I think looks way more natural.

I have never had problems on a day to day basis. Only on one occaision, where I came in from a major drinking session for a mates birthday, started watching the footbal recorded earlier that day, and woke up a few hours later with the dreaded SKY+ "End of recorded program" box in the middle of the screen. I really thought I had trashed my screen, but just a few minutes of a normal moving picture and the image was gone.

My plasma gets very heavy use - on most days like summer hols - one or other of the kids has usualy got some xbox game or other on prety much all day long and no problems whatsoever.

As mentioned previously, if you buy a reasonable quality screen, and take care for the first couple of hundred hours or so, I don't think you will have any problems.

Hope this helps, Mark

10. nak

nak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    A good example of burn-in has to be the two Pioneer 50-inchers at the Jube, in Woolacombe. :eek:

You will soon tweek your own settings very carefully.

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hmmm.... interesting. The cheap and cheerful plasma displays at Luton airport (showing flight details) show little evidence of screen burn. Since all plasmas use the same basic technology, and many different makes use panels from the same panel manufacturer, I think this is a myth which needs to be dispelled. Screen burn can be a problem with plasma screens, and it can be a problem with CRT screens too. However, when people post images which are obviously caused by "screen memory" (which is a "feature" of the plasma gas and is a short-term effect) and then start talking about screen burn, this does nothing at all to dispel the paranoia.