1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How powerfull is your workstation?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by BadAss, Sep 1, 2005.

1. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Just out of interest i'm wondering what hardware you guys are editing with so I could get an idea of where to upgrade next.

I'm currently editing with Vegas 6 on a self built 3.4p4 with 1g of ram. I use Vegas 6 to capture and render, avi, mpeg and wmv and then aurthoring with DVDA3.

Is there anything I can do that will increase PQ with what I have?

Any tips or tweaks appreciated.

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Mine's self built but a little older (2.6 P4) running the same editing & authoring program as you. I'm also using Boris plug-ins & Canopus Procoder without any problems.

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't have already, install a big 7200 rpm 2nd hard drive purely for
    video content.

If your system bus allows even buy a second big hard drive (or say 2x 120gb as opposed to 1x 250gb) and dedicate one to capture and one to render.

Internal drives are quite cheap now. Buy Seagate.

It may also be an idea (if you have any spare slots) to fit a second firewire card.

Look at a 256MB graphics card too (if youdon't already have one) a dual header if youc an stretch to it, two monitors will double your desktop area and make editing much easier!

I also plug in a USB pen drive to hold the programme file
    (so that I run the programme off of the system, the project file from the USB drive and take the video data from the big fast HD)

4. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Hi vonhosen, what are Boris plug ins, i've not heard of that one? Do you use the canopus pro coder for rendering mpeg2 files? If you do is there a big difference between that and the Sony's as I could be tempted to invest?

Hi Roy, at the moment I have 3 HDs, 2x 200G for Capture and Storage 1x 80 for OS. All 7200rpm while one of the 200s is sata. All WD.

The FireWire Port is on the MB, will it make any difference to have another?

I've just bought my first LCD display last week. It's a 19" ViewSonic VE902m @ £207 from scan. Contrast ratio @ 800 and a res of 1280x1024. I have to say I've been really sceptical about LCD up until now but this monitor does a fantastic job for the price, I even watched Return of the King on it tonight. No more problems with the convergence I had on my CRT. :smashin:

I'm thinking about getting another as a preview monitor but might wait until next year and get a Wide Screen model as all the Videos I produce are in this format. It would also have to have DVI as the VE902m is VGA only.

My GFX card is a ATI Radeon 9700 Pro which I think can already output dual displays. But my next GFX card will probably be an 850X.

Cheers for the feedback guys. :thumbsup:

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I personally like the results of Procder's encodes, it is a versatile multi format encoder, but that has to be weighed against ability to encode straight from timeline in Vegas. That said if it's quality that is paramount it edges out the MainConcept encoder in Vegas for me.

Boris is titling, compositing software that can be used within Vegas
    www.borisfx.com