1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How pants is this?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Family Guy, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After raving about the single disc DVD release of Atlantis - Th Lost City, I had a look at buying it today. Checked out both versions, single and double disc, and discovered that the single disc is PAN & SCAN, whilst the 2 disc set is ANAMORPHIC 2.35.1!!!:confused:

How much must it have cost $isney to reformat the movie for the single disc set? Surely it would have made more sense to release bothe versions in Widescreen.

The trouble is, I don't feel like I've actually SEEN the film now - if you know what I mean.

Anybody know where to pick up the 2 discer (R1 orR2) at a decent price?

Takes me back to video days, widescreen version about £5 more than P&S counterparts. Welcome to the digital age.:(

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Play are selling the R1 & 2 for £17.99

They also have the single disc for £14.99. The Region1 version appears to be widescreen.

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It seems Disney are going to release both versions (widescreen & Pan And Scan) of their films from now on.
    Apparently most other distributors are going to follow suit too - apparently some people like their films with the edges missing! :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

4. danielzavitz

danielzavitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sadly alot of poeple don't think they are missing the edges they seem to believe that to make a widescreen version of a film you have to cut off the topand bottom!
    i have to deal with these idiots every day.

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Tee Hee.

Just take a deep breath dan. Tell them that VHS is better than DVD, and that films with sound will never last! :p :D

6. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    These people are nutters, I have friends with widescreen TV's and trying to get them to understand the aspect ratios is imposible. If the movie auto switches then all is well and good but otherwise they have no hope. It amazes me how many people cannot notice when everyone is tall and thin! Mind you, these same people all watch regular TV in stretched mode, so everyone is short and fat. When they get a 14:9 picture it is the whole width of the screen and they have borders top and bottom. I can't even speak of when they view a 16:9 TV picture, they might as well go back to a 4:3 set and forget about progress.

7. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would never buy a 4:3 if I could avoid it, and love widescreen as a format. However, if Reserviour Dogs is anything to go by, you DO lose part of the top and bottom when you view the widescreen version!

8. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The funny thing is, they hve released a P & S version with Dolby Digital AND DTS sound. Is anybody with this sort of set up going to want to watch the cropped version??

Probably not.:(

By the way, when I rented it, I had it "booked" at our local outlet so I just bypassed the cover and went straight to the counter, hence not knowing that it was not in widescreen. Taught me a lesson I can tell you.:rolleyes:

9. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when i first started buying dvds, 3+yrs ago i used to specifically go for 4:3 because the bars used to annoy me, but now i have a widescreen projector i hate the fact that things like ap2 are released on 4:3 earlier, but, on the other hand, i hate 2.35:1 movies too, everything should be 1.78:1 :)

10. danielzavitz

danielzavitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you may well be losing some of the top and bottom of the picture compared to VHS on reservoir dogs. the movie was probably shot so the whole negative was exposed but only the widescreen portion in the middle was meant to be used, that would be what you saw at the cinema. they then use the whole exposed frame on the vhs to avoid a pan and scam job. loads of films are shot like this.
    i remember one bloke who wrote to total film to complain that he couldn't see as many shots of trinity's arse on his dvd as on his mates VHS!
    just remember the widescreen version is how the director intended it. the extra picture is usually dead space full of crash mats and booms.

11. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    The same thing happend with the WS and P&S releases of Back to the future on VHS. It is not uncommon to have the P&S with extra top and bottom picture elements.

Two things to remember, the widescreen is usually the directors original vision and the widescreen view sits more comfortably with our natural field of vision, which is wider than it is tall.

12. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

hang on, im missing something here.

Why do you prefere 1.78:1???