How on earth do I connect all these together!?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by shamilt1, Jan 22, 2008.

1. shamilt1

shamilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hope this thread is in right place! I am getting a Samsung LE40F86BD, a PS3 (for blu ray mainly) the Sony HTD-870RSS Surround system with DVD player/ HDD recorder and Sky ( not HD at this time). How do I link all this together, so that it all has surround sound! The TV has 3 HDMI sockets, but I only want to use the two at the back really. Please help me!!!

2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    The Sony HTD-870RSS seems to be too new to have the manual on-line so there is a question you need to ask before you buy.

Does it output sound received over HDMI from other sources like the PS3, or do they have to be connected via optical links as well?

Reason for asking is if you plan to get the PS3 to play Blu-Ray then you will not be able to hear the new HD sound formats unless your Sony can receive the right signals via HDMI as the PS3 can't send HD audio over an optical link.

The way it describes the HDMI as being a 'pass-through' suggests it may not be able to handle sound that way.

Also if your Sky is just the basic version then you won't be able to get a surround sound stream from it as that only comes with Sky+ and Sky HD but you may be able to get the amp to do a fake job on the stereo signal.

3. shamilt1

shamilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your reply. According to welsh wizard who has reviewed this system on this forum, the amp will play uncompressed PCM (HD Audio) tracks (Only via HDMI) if the HD source decodes it, and sends it to the receiver via LPCM. He says the PS3 does this. What I really need to know is what connects to what, and by what! I really am a novice when it comes to these things as this will be my first surround set up.

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Do you have a link to that amp as the only one I can find with a similar model number is the HT-DDW870 which has been discontinued, probably replaced by the 890. I checked the online manual and it doesn't even have HDMI. A pricerunner link, review site or link to the manufacturers website should help.

5. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Not much detail out there at the moment Dave, the thing is too new.

Based on what is there the PS3 should connect via HDMI to the amp then the amp to the TV also HDMI.

Sky is going to be more interesting as it looks like the amp only has one RGB SCART connector and it doesn't upconvert to HDMI so I'd say take Sky direct to the TV and run an RCA pair to the amp for sound.

Unless of course this is Sky+ we are dealing with?

If you want to use the DVD recorder to record from Sky then things will have to change and the one RGB SCART could be a bit of a limitation unless it will loop through the RGB signal from another SCART?

6. shamilt1

shamilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  7. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Thanks for the links, found the package on the Sony site earlier, but without a manual a lot of the spec is a bit ambiguous.

I'm not even sure if what I posted earlier will work.

This is essentially a collection of separates bundled together.

So if fact you'd can't connect Sky via the DVD player unless it is able to send out the signal it receives via SCART over HDMI.

Seems unlikely so you'd have to connect Sky straight to the TV for video and via RCA to the amp for sound unless it is Sky+ in which case you could use optical.

The amp doesn't seem to handle any video connections other than HDMI.

8. shamilt1

shamilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Mark. This is a link to a picture of the rear of the amp if this helps any - you may have already seen it as its taken from this site http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69983&d=1200268260.
    I am just trying to draw a diagram of what goes where - I am about to start work in the living room and need to channel into the wall and put the cables I need in....plus a few I may need in the future. It would be nice to be sure in my mind about how to connect everything up. It always seems a nightmare when getting anything new!

9. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    No video inputs there for sure. (other than HDMI and the antenna)

Which Sky box do you have and do you want to try and record from Sky on the DVD recorder?

10. shamilt1

shamilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Its a standard Sky digibox. Not Sky+ or HD. Could I connect it to the DVD recorder by scart and then run a scart from the dvd recorder to the tv - putting sound through the amp via optical?

11. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    You can do that, my only worry is will it loop through the RGB signal or not and will the DVD player output the sound via optical back to the amp properly if it isn't playing or recording?.

It only lists 1 SCART as RGB capable but you should see soon enough if that will work.

You may need to run sound from the Sky box via RCA if the optical link from the DVD doesn't work.

Do test it before you start burying cables though :)

12. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Where is the SCART inputs, I didn't see any! Strange (to me anyway!). If it doesn't support RGB passthrough, you could get a JS-Technology SCART buffer to split the RGB output to both the Sony and the TV. I can't access the Sony site (at work) as it keeps crashing Internet Explorer. :mad: Just make sure you test all the cables before you chase them, there are numerous threads on wall installations that will tell which cables to run. It looks to me like you will need to run all video sources direct to the TV other than HDMI which you don't have at present other than the HDD thingy so doesn't apply yet.

13. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Sony appear to have taken a few existing parts and created a system out of them.

The DVD/PRV has SCART in/out on it as well as HDMI so recording Sky should be possible.

The problem is the amp has no SCARTs or S-Video or even composite, just HDMI so it is all a bit strange really.

I'd love to know if the DVD/PVR can upconvert to HDMI from the SCART in.

14. shamilt1

shamilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So does this sound about right?
    DVD and PS3 to amp with HDMI
    Amp to TV with HDMI
    Sky to DVD by scart for recording
    Sky to TV for watching sky when DVD recorder off
    RCA from TV to Amp for Sky Audio.
    What do you reckon?

15. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Could run the RCA from Sky to the amp if that is easier?

16. shamilt1

shamilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So does it all sound about right if I do that - I can go and start buying cables if it is. I am a total novice at all this, thats why I need the good advice from you knowledgable people!

17. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Have you been able to test if the Sky signal will run through the DVD player and back to the Screen over HDMI when it is connected that way?

You've only got one RGB SCART on the Sky box so you might want to go from Sky to DVD to TV if the DVD will loop through the RGB signal?

18. shamilt1

shamilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No. I havn't got this kit yet - going to buy in the next day or two. I have two Scarts on my Sky box, one marked TV and the other VCR so would it be the best way to connect as I suggested - running RCA to the Amp as you said?

19. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Not trying to avoid the question here, but in the absence of a manual for this system and you being unable to test anything as you don't have it yet I can only say 'probably'.

The main concern is getting the best quality signal from Sky both to the TV and to the DVD recorder so that would usually just mean Sky -> DVD -> TV using the RGB SCART 'TV' output on the Sky box but your DVD player is an unknown entity and although it will probably loop through RGB we don't know for sure and it may even upconvert to HDMI which would be another interesting option.

If you are committed to this hardware then I'd go ahead and get it so you can start figuring out how some of this will work best.

Can't come up with the perfect solution without some answers or at the very least access to the documentation neither of which we have right now.