How on earth do I compare ad/or demo these?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Member 639844, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Ive been looking for some floor standers for a long time, kinda holding out for some MA GS20/60's to pop up pre-owned.

In the mean time I think Ive got my short list down to a couple I'm most interested in trying out. They are the SVS MTS speakers and the XTZ 99.36. Has anyone got any ideas how there is an easy way for me to compare them, Kent is miles away and the XTZ's even further. I'd feel bad returning the XTZ's or taking them to kent, only to drive away form there leaving the MTS's behind after they've spent time setting up a demo for me.

I think Ive made it harder for myself than I probably should have, but I generally spend long time reading reveiws and geting an idea of the products before getting to this point and I dont see any other speakers I'd want to shortlist that I can afford - about 1K give or take. If anyone out there has direct experience of either speakers (mainly the SVS's TBH), or even more of a long shot has heard both, I'd really like to hear from you. I'm open to any sugestions too.

Either I need to stop caring about sales staffs feelings or go back to the drawing borad and I'm in a bit of a confused pickle at the minute.

Help :confused::suicide:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
  2. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Listened to an MA setup on friday that had the GS20's up front. Best thing Ive ever heard and I find it hard to imagine anything sounding better for 1K. I'm starting to think I should just save up for a pair of these.

Can any of the XTZ 99.36 ownwers, or people that have heard them compare them to the GS20's. 90% of the performance for a 1K saving would be sweet.

3. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Best I can do as a direct comparison is here. From memory, the 99.36s go much deeper, but that may not be such a good thing depending on the size of your room.

In terms of sound, I'd say it's personal preference to a degree, but good though the fit and finish of the XTZs is, the MAs are superb at any price. As to 90% of the performance, well the XTZs definitely manage that, but IMHO it's only the last couple of percent that elevate a speaker from good to great and that costs. Put it another way; how much do you think you would have to spend to get a speaker 10% better than the GS20s? £2k? £3k?

Russell

4. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Cheers russ. When I thought about posting this thread I did consider just sending you a PM but thought it best not to discount everyone else. I think the GS10s and 20s are probably very different in the bass department, enough to make it an unfair way to compare the XTZ'z against the 20's. The rest of the frequency range should be the same though should it not?

One of the main concerns I have is that in choosing style speaker options Ive always been left wanting more musically. The MA's sounded plenty bassy and I dindnt hear so much as a hint of any brightness that some mention, they were just right. I wouldnt want to end up with a speaker thats sounding a little muffled because its trying to hard to get low.

I can see where your coming from with regurads to the quality/price reltionship and with you saying that I guess I wouldnt settle for 90% performance in the long run. I always seem to grow out of the system I have because the music doesnt quite sound as good as I think it should in my head.

Do the XTZs hold their own with music without a sub (i.e, running in pure audio on an AV amp, namly an Onkyo 875). I ask because the extra bass ability may prove the clincher as long as the rest of the frequency range isnt compromised, and I seem to favour very clear sounding speakers like the MA ones. Will rear porting be an issue as my current ones fire forwards and the space behind the speakers isnt ideal, or at least I dont think so :(.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009