1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How often does the Sky Digi box need to connect?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Bozza, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Bozza

Bozza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi people,

I have a 2nd Digibox which I use in a static caravan. This obviously does not allow me to connect it to a phone line as Sky ask you to do witha a 2nd subscription. I have had a letter from sky stating that the box must be connected to a phone line at all times, could someone tell me how often the box connects to sky to confirm its connection to the correct phone line/address so then I can take the box home periodically and connect it up. I have scanned the forums but can not find an answer to this question, any help would be welcome. Thanks in advance

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There is no answer, unlike the standard phone requirment which SKY basically ignores anyway the "mirror" sub is a potential source of revenue loss and a boon to those people who would sell on the second card for a profit. It is not in SKY's interests to make the digiboxes phone home on an predefined schedule, no doubt they do random sweeps of each "mirror" subscriber by computer and then send out the warning letters.
    Now you have broken the T&C's of the contract you agreed to by using the "mirror" card and SKY are aware of the fact and written to you they will keep testing your connnections on a regular basis and sooner or later if you continue to ignore the warnigns they will charge full price for the second subscription.

3. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's interesting, I also got a letter from Sky saying my 2nd Digibox wasn't connected to the phone line!

Well it was. It turns out that about 2 days after I got my Digibox, I moved it sligtly to connect a optical lead from it to my amp. When doing this I must have knocked the phone lead, it wasn't out but not registering as being in!

It took Sky 3 months to contact me saying I'd broken my contract!
    When I check, I just unpluged the lead and then plugged it in and it was ok. Required a phone call to Sky and a little trip through the engineers menu to fix.

It sounded like they knew my digibox wasn't connected for a long time but didn't bother to tell me! It was a problem I didn't know existed and could have solved in 1 minute!

One interesting thought is, as the Digibox connects to your main phone line, what happens if every time Sky try to contact the box your using the phone? Do you get one of these letters?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I would guess that whoever programmed the routines for sending out the callback requests to the digiboxes using the "mirror" subscription also tell them to dial out over night and to make allowances for a phone line to be engaged if the first attempt failes.
    It might indeed be a couple of months of failed callbacks before SKY issue warning letters, only they know and they aren't telling:)

5. bar

bar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not familiar with sky so i might be completely wrong. Couldnt you get round the problem by leaving your second box at home plugged in and take your original box to your caravan?

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Nope, both boxes have to be connected to the same line at the same time as per the T&C's of the mirror subscription.