How often does customs open your packages??

paul243

Standard Member
Was expecting a parcel sent from Japan with a declared value of £450, got a letter from Parcelforce to pay duty and VAT, which I did online, then when the parcel came I found that it was opened and repacked by customs even though it had a completed invoice from a major Japanese retailer!!

I know they do this sometimes, but I just wanted to ask how often does it happen to you? Should I expect every single package that comes with a customs charge to be opened and inspected by them?

Thank you

Steven

Senior Moderator
I recently had CDs from HMV International unscathed. And when I used to use CD-Wow that was fine. But Parcel Force did open and resealed the delivery envelope for my ESW9 headphone from Japan... which I was fine with as the bubble wrap around the headphone packaging itself was still intact

They are entitled to open packages... and make sure there is not a false customs declaration. Incidentally if you ask a seller to mark a parcel down then caveat emptor if you need to claim on the insurance if it goes missing or is damaged during transit

Saying that my RSA portable headphone amp was marked down (not at my request), and I paid minimal duty... I guess they do not know how much my audio habit costs :laugh:

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
Happens to me a fair bit. We always have supplies arriving from Holland, packages range from magazines for the wife, photographs, clothes, bluerays)

I would say we receive 4-5 parcels per month and half are opened by customs.

paul243

Standard Member
Happens to me a fair bit. We always have supplies arriving from Holland, packages range from magazines for the wife, photographs, clothes, bluerays)

I would say we receive 4-5 parcels per month and half are opened by customs.

Wow! Even stuff sent from within the EU? I know they are looking for harmful material (whatever this means :rolleyes:), but part of me feels violated when strangers go into my stuff :thumbsdow

Steven

Senior Moderator
Buy items you'd rather not be seen?

paul243

Standard Member
Buy items you'd rather not be seen?

Not the seeing thing. It's knowing that someone has unpacked my stuff, took them out of their boxes, examined, shaken them, etc. I once had 10 incoming DVDs, all were unsealed in the customs and all had fingerprints on the wrong side :confused:

captainff

I rarely import and when I have it's all arrived in the same condition as when it left the retailer.. .. .. .. passing through Dover though .. .. HMRC empty my boot every time. :(

eric pisch

Distinguished Member
Haven't travelled by plane for years

However I was at Heathrow over Christmas to pick up someone and I got stopped and given the third degree by the police and there dog that was walking about.

I got the impression they thought I was looking for somewhere to sleep ...

I do order alot of stuff from sideshowtoys (in the states) and in over 100 packages customs have never opened one.

Last edited:

loz

Distinguished Member
Wow! Even stuff sent from within the EU? I know they are looking for harmful material (whatever this means :rolleyes:), but part of me feels violated when strangers go into my stuff :thumbsdow

I have 4 or 5 packets a month sent from Germany.
Never had one opened in 12 years...

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom