How Often Do You Use Your Sub ?

monkeyleader

Hey - so as you may have seen from previous posts I'm considernig the RS6-AV packet (Monitor Audio)

Quite a bit of the cost is the sub (£700+) which I thought was a must-have. Sinec doing a bit more reading / discussing with various people it would seem that depending on what you are doing they don't actually have the sub switched on.

For me my main use will be Movies / Gaming / Sports / Music ....

I'm just wondering how much I would miss a sub in the short term (at some point I will get one) which brings the total cost down a bit.

For the movie / gaming fans out there - do you use your sub 100% of the time?

Nige

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Movies, yes, although some movies do not really utilise a subwoofer as one would hope (older movies or certain genres) so I don't bother in those cases :smashin:

I ran without a sub (had floorstanders) for some time and with action/adventure, sci-fi etc! movies you do feel you are missing out, but with comedy, dramas etc! a lot of the time you won't feel you are missing out on anything really :)

tvdavid

Mines on all the time and my amps on all the time even for just TV shows.
When the Tvs off then its playing radio or mp3s or my PC sound.

Showoff

Distinguished Member
My sub is on all the time and like others have said it won't be used on a lot of sources so you could do without one if the expense is too much at the moment.

I managed with just GR60's, GSLCR and GSFX's for quite a while though the GR60's are big floor-standers and therefore do quite a good job producing bass without a sub.

With a Monolith sub though it takes things to a whole new level of BASS! :devil: Action films and Call of Duty on the PS3 etc are something else with a decent sub.

It's impossible for anyone else to you tell you what you will be happy with. It's a bit like car air conditioning really, you can still drive the car without it, but it does make certain journeys a whole lot more pleasant with it. ;)

Last edited:

pws

100% of the time for movies, TV, CD and radio.:thumbsup:

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Yeah I cant see why you would want to listern to your sound system with the sub off anyway.

Depends what you are watching or listening to ;) I don't see why you'd want the sub on if it's not going to be doing anything :rolleyes:

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Yeah I cant see why you would want to listern to your sound system with the sub off anyway.

Well, sometimes I listen to music in pure audio mode with no sub, and they arent even proper full sized loud speakers. I'm certainly not totally happy with them music wise but the extra fidelity of PA mode is sometime preferable for me, and I simply accept taking the hit in the bass department :eek:

Oipete

In the simplest terms possible. If my Amp is on, my sub is on.

One caveat: If I am watching something really late at night, I may turn the sub off then so I don't wake the whole street and have the tree huggers banging on my door and making so much noise that they wake my neighbours. Ugh! Is that right????

Regards

jwyg

i'll have it on for movies (either dvd's or on tv) and music, but not for normal TV :)

my floorstanders do ok for normal watching. don't see the point of a sub watching have i got news for you! :D

Dean

Well, sometimes I listen to music in pure audio mode with no sub, and they arent even proper full sized loud speakers. I'm certainly not totally happy with them music wise but the extra fidelity of PA mode is sometime preferable for me, and I simply accept taking the hit in the bass department :eek:

I tried this with a stand alone CD player (Denon DCD-700AE) but the pure direct mode was a bit too thin for my liking. It was ok for naturally bass heavy tracks but most of the time I found I preferred having the sub on with a 24bit/192Khz signal from my media PC. It is quite a big room so I think its definitely worth having on all the time in my case where the bass can be lost more easily, just to balance up the sound.

m4rky_m4rk

My sub is on all the time, as is my HC setup for TV, CD, DVD, games and even radio. I can't bear to listen to my TV speakers. The sound is so thin and weedy!

BBC HD sounds great but even standard TV benefits on occasions from a good sub.

Quality sound from TV broadcasts can be a bit hit and miss though. Sometimes even in the same program the background music quality can vary widly. Mic thumps and general background noise in live recordings can be really loud too :D

I find that the current TV audio on a good setup is bit like the equivalent of watching older movies on a modern HD TV. The old, previously acceptable effects now look a bit naff because the newer TV's reveal the defects in the special effects methods that were used at the time.

Currently, broadcasters seem to pay a lot less attention to the audio than they do for the video. So, I still often come across poor inconsistent audio even on modern recordings, especially were the sources used for the audio vary in quality.

I guess things will improve in time as more and more viewers also use better sound systems with their HD TV's and not just the TV's built in speakers.

Last edited:

phil2009

My sub gets turn on when amp is on, cos evem for tv progs the sub gets used quite alot. unless mine isnt set up properly.

tvdavid

If there is an old film on thats not got stereo I put my amp into X stereo mode then it starts working again.

:thumbsup:

m4rky_m4rk

Forgot to say that even std TV stereo can contain a prologic signal and the rear speakers can be active when viewing TV and listening via AVR even if its just the bog std TV audio. Again its a bit hit and miss with the broadcasters but works well on occasions.

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
Hey - so as you may have seen from previous posts I'm considernig the RS6-AV packet (Monitor Audio)

Quite a bit of the cost is the sub (£700+) which I thought was a must-have. Sinec doing a bit more reading / discussing with various people it would seem that depending on what you are doing they don't actually have the sub switched on.

For me my main use will be Movies / Gaming / Sports / Music ....

I'm just wondering how much I would miss a sub in the short term (at some point I will get one) which brings the total cost down a bit.

For the movie / gaming fans out there - do you use your sub 100% of the time?

Nige
Set up properly, the sub (be it the MA, BK, etc) can deliver deeper, cleaner, louder bass than a pair of RS6s. So if you want to save some money, consider loosing the extra bass driver and look at the RS1s or RS5s instead.

If you are reluctant to drop the RS6s, then have a look at the BK XLS-300 sub. It will save you £300, looks very similar to the MA and gives away little, if anything in performance.

Whatever, don't drop the sub!

Russell

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I have my amp and sub on whenever the TV is on no matter what I am watching on it. This is why I never bothered to get speakers for my KRP when I bought it as they will never be used (just hope my AVR does not pack in or I will be back to the days of silent movies!!!!).
I see little point in spending large amounts of money on good speakers, amps etc. to then not use it as often as possible.

Oipete

I have my amp and sub on whenever the TV is on no matter what I am watching on it. This is why I never bothered to get speakers for my KRP when I bought it as they will never be used (just hope my AVR does not pack in or I will be back to the days of silent movies!!!!).
I see little point in spending large amounts of money on good speakers, amps etc. to then not use it as often as possible.
My thoughts exactly! I don't have the same tv as you, but would have the same level of sound if my amp stopped playing the game.

stevest4s

I Quite agree. I don't use the TV sound at all.

I use the AV amp for all purposes including Freeview and listening to CDs. I don't see the point in having good sound available and not using it. The sound from the TV is so much poorer than the AV system the choice is simple.
The sub is on all the time and even with regular TV it makes its presence felt on regular occasions.

I also use a Harmony 885 to make it easy for SWMBO to operate everything!

JohnWB

All the time, when ever the system is on

It's quite supprising which TV programs have a good bass signal. Sometimes you can be watching a program & suddenly a bass note will shake the floor a bit, very nice.

You even get it with things like Question Of Sport, not very loud but nice & deep through my BK XLS200.

greg_SA

I got my RS6 speakers recently - I am building up a full 5.1 system slowly.

I was curious about was a difference a sub would make, so I hooked up my 12" Infinity Car subwoofer (with an old Rotel amp). It definitely made a big difference to movies! Mainly action movies (which I enjoy).

I am very happy with the RS6 for music without using a sub.

phil2009

I got my RS6 speakers recently - I am building up a full 5.1 system slowly.

I was curious about was a difference a sub would make, so I hooked up my 12" Infinity Car subwoofer (with an old Rotel amp). It definitely made a big difference to movies! Mainly action movies (which I enjoy).

I am very happy with the RS6 for music without using a sub.

A Car sub would be very boomy??

Rob100

I've never entertained the idea of switching it off.

I've got 3 set-ups at home with subs and they're all on at the moment and I'm at work! Hopefully they have switched to standby :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone