How often do you change speakers ?

Quorra

Just curious how often you all change your speakers.

Topmetom 2

Distinguished Member
I hadn’t for years as I wasnt on here. Then 4k came along had to upgrade stuff and so far ive done three lots in 5 years..apart from subs they haven’t changed since i got the PSA.

Last edited:

DavidT

I have been using my Q Acoustics for over 10 years and have only changed the fronts this year. My surrounds are still 1010's and the sub is the same BK XLS200.

Quorra

I hadn’t for years as I wasnt on here. Then 4k came along had to upgrade stuff and so far ive done three lots in 5 years..apart from subs they haven’t changed since i got the PSA.
You changed speakers three times in five years ? Man that is a lot.

Quorra

Selling speakers is just such a pain. At least selling Arendal currently in the US. Selling my towers has been a major pain. My SVS sold pretty quickly though.

decto

Had Q Acoustics for ~12 years 1030i x 4 + 2000C.
Got them in the clearance sales at great price and there were no matching centres.

Major room upgrade this year and now Dali Opticon LCR, Vokal + C-1.

If it wasn't for the room change I'd still be using the Q's, however 4 floor standers, do have an impact on the room.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
On my 4th different brand since I built my room 4 years ago. Don’t ask me how many processors I’ve had in that time though!! 🤦‍♂️

Quorra

On my 4th different brand since I built my room 4 years ago. Don’t ask me how many processors I’ve had in that time though!! 🤦‍♂️
I guess I just dont have luck selling things.

Topmetom 2

Distinguished Member
Had Q Acoustics for ~12 years 1030i x 4 + 2000C.
Got them in the clearance sales at great price and there were no matching centres.

Major room upgrade this year and now Dali Opticon LCR, Vokal + C-1.

If it wasn't for the room change I'd still be using the Q's, however 4 floor standers, do have an impact on the room.
Opticons are good speakers

DodgeTheViper

Just once in the past four years for me. Maybe twice in something like six years or so.

Jenz

Twice in 12 years and now debating and choosing my third change.

rccarguy2

As often as I put wash my underpants on, decades.

Guess depends on budget, you're more likely to change £100 speakers - you can sell them off for little loss if you don't like them, compared to £4000 models where you buy once.

Nutty667

I've had my B&W 600 series speakers for about 24 years now. Added a sub last year and some atmos modules a couple of months ago.
Had 685s for 8 years now, still sound great.
On my 3rd sub in 6 years. Bk Gemini II, then the xxls400, now trying a Rel ht.
Been running 4.1 for a while, but decided to add a centre so will likely pick up the htm6 s2, but I'll keep my 685s for a while yet.

DaveWillo

Been running 4.1 for a while, but decided to add a centre so will likely pick up the htm6 s2, but I'll keep my 685s for a while yet.
Good speakers, no point upgrading just for the sake of it 👍

rccarguy2

B&W 6xx series are sort of first rung speaker, good for the money but tbh I'd upgrade when you can.

Conrad

I've changed models a few times over the past 10/15 years, but I stuck with the same brand - B&W.
601 -> 684 -> 805 -> 803 -> 802 (all Nautilus). As I moved up the range the others got relegated to other systems or surround duties. I've never sold any of my 800 series.

For subs I've been through two brands, and again, different models.

Velodyne SPL1000 -> DD10 -> DD15 -> PSA S3000 -> S3600 -> Back to S3000 but now duals -> and lastly I added 2 x S1500s. So I'm running 2x S3000 an 2 x S1500 in my dedicated room and the DD15 is in the living room.

You could say I'm brand loyal!

Topmetom 2

Distinguished Member
I've changed models a few times over the past 10/15 years, but I stuck with the same brand - B&W.
601 -> 684 -> 805 -> 803 -> 802 (all Nautilus). As I moved up the range the others got relegated to other systems or surround duties. I've never sold any of my 800 series.

For subs I've been through two brands, and again, different models.

Velodyne SPL1000 -> DD10 -> DD15 -> PSA S3000 -> S3600 -> Back to S3000 but now duals -> and lastly I added 2 x S1500s. So I'm running 2x S3000 an 2 x S1500 in my dedicated room and the DD15 is in the living room.

You could say I'm brand loyal!
Best system id heard had nautilus speakers, god it was phenomenal.

Nutty667

B&W 6xx series are sort of first rung speaker, good for the money but tbh I'd upgrade when you can.
I probably will when my daughter grows up a bit, but buying new ones now would be a waste of money in terms of how much use they would get.

password1

Distinguished Member
Every 12 months at my current rate. I like the excitement of opening a new box and being the first owner.

Currently on Dali Opticon 6 Mark 2, bought them about 3 months but interested in Rubicons (as well as lots of other speakers)

Previously had Q Acoustics Concept 40 for about 12 months.

Various Monitor Audio speakers over the years, bronze, Silvers, golds and more recently Monitor.

Quorra

Every 12 months at my current rate. I like the excitement of opening a new box and being the first owner.

Currently on Dali Opticon 6 Mark 2, bought them about 3 months but interested in Rubicons (as well as lots of other speakers)

Various Monitor Audio speakers over the years, bronze, Silvers, golds and more recently Monitor.
Damn that seems like a major pain. Love opening new stuff but selling speakers etc is a major pain.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Does your other half (assuming you have another half), not get pissed at you constantly changing?

I've had my q3020s and 3090 for about 4 years, added q3050s over 3 years ago, then added some dali fazon rears at the begining of this year. Currently using just the 3020s, 3090 and dalis. However, I'm looking to get rid of all the q acoustics, and replacing them with an upgrade for LCR (looking at speakers in range of kef R3, focal aria 906, B&W 706) as its my 40th next year so want something decent, and will have the intention of keeping them for some time. Although a speaker upgrade will also lead to amp and receiver upgrades. This proper annoys missus when I tell her I want to upgrade my kit.

rccarguy2

Totally pointless changing speakers that often, unless you're on vast disposable income, run a hifi shop yourself.

What is the point technology doesn't move on every 12 months for speakers

I've gone from budget kef, kef reference (which I still have) and Celestion A range and that's about 20 years..a few subs, TV, AVR, AV pre, integrated amp to analogue pre, dvd and bd, side, rears, center

Stereo speakers have been least amount of change

password1

Distinguished Member
Does your other half (assuming you have another half), not get pissed at you constantly changing?

I've had my q3020s and 3090 for about 4 years, added q3050s over 3 years ago, then added some dali fazon rears at the begining of this year. Currently using just the 3020s, 3090 and dalis. However, I'm looking to get rid of all the q acoustics, and replacing them with an upgrade for LCR (looking at speakers in range of kef R3, focal aria 906, B&W 706) as its my 40th next year so want something decent, and will have the intention of keeping them for some time. Although a speaker upgrade will also lead to amp and receiver upgrades. This proper annoys missus when I tell her I want to upgrade my kit.
I try to buy new HiFi so that it doesn't look like I've bought new HiFi.

All my HiFi is 'bought very cheap and second hand off ebay', even my brand new Dali opticons are 'cheap and second hand off ebay' as long as I keep the grilles on.

It's why my new speakers are in the same colour and look almost the same with the grille on as the speakers they replaced.

There are a few tricks one can do. If the new speakers are smaller, place the further away from the wall and raise them on extra thick plinths or 2 plinths. If the speakers are slightly larger than before, place them closer to the wall and gradually bring them out over time. A few mm movement each week won't be very noticeable.

If I upgrade my cd player or anything for that matter it would look almost the same. I look after my HiFi and my HiFi is covered up when not in use so no one will suspect a thing.

There are ways to disguise or hide HiFi.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar