1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How often do people on here get caught by Customs?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by videonasty, Apr 30, 2004.

1. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    How often do people on here get caught by Customs?

I was thinking of purchasing the Indy R1 box set from Movietyme... I know they pay your Customs Charges, but I was interested in how many people actually get caught?

I ask this, as I ordered the Dances with Wolves set from Koreandvds.com & it was a big package, that weighed a ton & I didn't get caught???:clap: :smashin: :confused:

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    I never got caught with the indy box set from dvdsoon, infact touch wood i havent been 'caught' by customs yet. My most recent large purchase was the scarface boxset from dvdsoon just the other week and that was also okay.

3. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I hear what your saying, it looks like you have to be well unlucky if your caught??:eek:

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    I think you do have to be very unlucky to get caught. It wouldnt surprise me though if they do start clamping down on people ordering from overseas as i imagine the number has vastly increased over the years. And they are always looking for ways to screw the normal person ;)

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    My Pink Panther box set from DVD Soon was nobbled last week. I think that they're looking out for stuff from there now, so we'll have to be prepared to factor in the customs charge before ordering expensive stuff

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I've bought books and CD/DVD racks from the US,and in all instances been caught with appropriate duty charges where applicable.
    Whether or not this has anything to do with the carrier(Fedex/UPS etc),I dont know,but with the exchange rate being as good as it is currently,even with duty included,most US purchases work out very good buys indeed.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    The Post Office has, in the past, been quite intermittent with collecting Customs dues. I understand (via this forum) that they are tightening their procedures.

Other couriers have a greater tendency to do what they are legally required to.

I buy most of my imports from UK dealers anyway so it isn't normally an issue for me. I have recently had something (I forget exactly what) from CDJapan which was valued at well over the threshold (as most Jap stuff is) but it's value was understated on the package (technically illegal) and it was marked as a gift (shouldn't make a difference in these circumstances). I guess that explains why it wasn't charged.

As you say, however, Movietyme do offer a tax refund when applicable so, from them, it makes little difference.

8. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get most my dvds from PLAY. Somtimes I have had to use AMAZOn for the more obscure titles. If my total exceeds $20 I always get stung. A card comes through my door saying the package is at the depot. I have to go down and pay the fee to collect:mad:

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,219
    I did not think you had to pay duty on books as we do not charge VAT on them in the UK.

10. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I've been caught twice, but because my Postman is a lazy bugger, he doesn't bother collecting what's due.

11. lfletcher

lfletcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Up until yesterday the answer would have been that I have never been caught by customs, but yesterday the Flinstones S1 from DVD Soon got caught and today I had 3 customs charges from DVD Pacific order. £33 later and I had my DVDs.
    Not amused :(
    I dont resent having to pay customs, its the post office £4 fee that I object to.

12. valhalla

valhalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get caught about once a month, most recent being:

The Sopranos Season Three R4.

Cost was only about £7 so not too concerned.

13. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only been hit with Customs twice. 4-5 years ago.

I learn quick :lesson: