How Not to Store a Guitar

RBZ5416

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Ever since rashly selling my PRS SE I've been toying with buying another, so have been keeping tabs on Ebay. Got notification of one today & the description was:

The condition is very good with a few very small practically unnoticeable marks on the back, not really worth mentioning at all. The stoptail bridge has tarnished over time
And then I looked at the pics! :eek:

NrILlDS.jpg

If that's "tarnished" I'd hate to see his definition of rusty & coroded...

Looks like he stored it in a damp cellar or similar. Could still be a bargain if it only needs drying out and new bridge and strings. What kind of state are the tuners in (and othe metallic parts).

No pic of the head but you can see the PU poles & mounting screws are rusty. As you say, stored somewhere very damp which would make me wonder how true the neck is. It's not local so I wouldn't take the chance.

Ouch!
What price is that listed at then? It'd have to be a serious bargain to b worth considering as it may need a fair bit of work.

It's an auction, currently sitting at £72 with three days to go.

So it could be the bargain of the century if it stays low and doesn't need much work. What sort of retail price would one of those normally have, £500-600?

Long since discontinued but only worth around £250-300 in good condition. They're a glued neck so if it has warped it's completely buggered. There's probably corrosion to the internal electrics as well.

It's here is anyone wants to take a punt.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Id be more concerned over the condition of the wood and it being warped or the neck being damaged as a result. You could always replace some rusty hardware.

I've seen that furry blue corrosion on outdoor taps and cars that have been left to rot, but not on a guitar, it must have been stored in a water barrel :laugh:. The pickup rings would be a nightmare to remove too.

The guitar doesn't look that old either, maybe 5-10 years? I could understand it if it was an old Hondo or Satellite guitar that had been left in a shed or garage for the last 30 years.

Last edited:
Can't believe someone paid £190 for that.

£190 is £100 more than I would pay for it without actually seeing it in person, the bridge would need replacing for a start and who knows what condition the neck would be in.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom