How not to sell a car 101

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Dodgy_Geezer, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    So my other half and I visited a Mini dealership recently. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: "Hello, would it be possible to have a look at one of the Mini Countryman's outside please? The boot of this one <in the showroom> is locked and I'd like to see how big it is."

Sales Person 1: "Sure, I'll just get somebody to help you as we're a bit busy."
    (the showroom is empty and Sales Person 1 disappears for 5 minutes before returning to her desk to continue filing her nails and chatting with a friend. After 10 minutes, Sales Person 2 appears holding a clipboard)

Sales Person 2: "Hello, how may I help you?"

Me: "We'd like to look at a Countryman please."

Sales Person 2: "And what brings you to Mini today?"

Me: "We'd like to look at a Countryman please."

Sales Person 2: "I see. And what are you aiming to achieve by your visit today?"

Me: "Well, we'd like to look at a Countryman please."

Sales Person 2: "OK, and what is your overall objective for the visit?"

Me: "We'd really like to look at a Countryman please, that'd be great."

Sales Person 2: "Fantastic. And how can we help you achieve your objective?"

Me: "Erm, we've already told you, we'd like to look at a Countryman please, the one you have here <in the showroom> is locked."

Sales Person 2: "And will you be in a position to buy the car you want today?"

Me: "Well, that depends. Could we see a Countryman please and then we'll let you know?"

Sales Person 2: "We don't really have any for you to look at right now but if you can leave me your details, I'll let you know when we have some back in stock."

Me: "What about the three you have on the forecourt? Any will do, we just want to see how big they are inside."
    (Sales Person 2 looks out of the window at the forecourt and looks utterly shocked, as if he'd suddenly spied a herd of grazing elephants instead of three shiny Countryman's waiting to be sold).

Sales Person 2: "Oh those. Yes sure, let me get the keys and then I'll take you down."
    (Sales Person 2 disappears for 10 minutes and returns clipboard still glued to his hand. My other half is giving me the "let's get the hell outta here" look.)

Sales Person 2: "Here we are, if you'd like to follow me please. Will you be looking at any other cars today?"

Me: "I'm not sure, it's taking so long to see this one that we might not have any time left."

Sales Person 2: "No problem. Well if there's anything else I can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask."
    (Sales Person 2 unlocks the car and walks off back to the empty showroom without waiting to see if we'd hesitate to ask anything).

Un <insert profanity> believable :mad:

For extra annoyance points, Sales Person 2 had a hipster goatee, I kid ye not :facepalm:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  2. GrumpyOldGamer

GrumpyOldGamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    Really annoys me that, I used to be a car salesman and the answer to everything a customer says should be “yep no problem” and they should tend to everything you want.

I bought a nearly new car from VW recently, it was one of these posh dealerships where everyone’s skinny as hell, super groomed and walk around carrying a latte, more like a model shoot than a dealership, one of these places where you feel yourself getting judged and they ask “can we help you” before you get to reception, they soon stopped that when I payed cash for it and left!

3. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,725
    Hehehe it does make you wonder how they earn their commission ;)

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    Seems to be an issue at a lot of dealers.

5. Zooks

Zooks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I had a strange issue at our local Audi dealership. You know the kind of place, marble and chrome palace full of superior beings.
    Popped in a few times on my way to work so reasonably dressed in shirt and tie and was completely ignored by the sales staff. I might as well of had an invisibility cloak on.
    My missus wants a look see so we go back and I expect to be ignored so just can't be bothered to make any effort so scruffy as hell and they can't get enough of us. Circling like sharks.
    So question for the ex-sales people, are couples more likely to be nailed on buyers?

6. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,725
    Different people are different. I like being left alone. I also call ahead to make an appoint to ensure they are prepared and have what I’m interested in.

Like in Lyndhurst at the Maserati dealer. I also made certain they knew we were on one of our regular visits and dressed for the outdoors which was true. Described the car we have now, a reasonable qualifier for the market. And just make certain they have time for me so I don’t waste time and not do they.

Sure in an ideal world walk-in customers should be treated the same. And reception staff should be able to deal with that. Our local Mercedes dealer do a pretty good job of that. But sometimes the ideal world doesn’t exist and one has to go and get what they want themselves.

7. TheBlueBrazil

TheBlueBrazil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +508
    Certainly from my days selling kitchens it was always a waste of time if you went out to someones house to do a price and only one of them were present.

Were you wearing a wedding ring? I'll bet the staff spotted it and thought - waste of time - decision maker not present.

8. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,725
    I’m sure you’ve been loosing out on some pretty big deals then. I would never get involved in the first round of quotes. I find hem boring. And also unless there is an existing relationship I most definitely won’t make a decision there and then when you are in my house.

9. Zooks

Zooks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    lol I was. It worked too. Ended up buying!

10. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,307
    Pretty much our experience of our local MINI/BMW dealers. Called in in our 4 year old Mini looking to see what we could get to replace it. 20 mins of answering questions to be told we could book a test drive for the following day. Sales bod spent the entire time talking directly to me, even though we repeatedly made it clear that my partner was the driver and would be choosing the car. Apparently we should have been looking at something bigger than a Mini because we have a four year old child (and another larger car) :rolleyes:
    We came back for the test drive just because it was convenient. In the end they tried to sell us an older lower spec car than ours for more more money. Laughed all the way back to the car and vowed never, ever to return.
    We went to a local independent where we'd bought the current Mini from. He recognised us and the car, exchanged our keys with the keys to a convertible and told us to be back before they closed for the day. We bought the car when we came back 3 hours later :D.

11. TheBlueBrazil

TheBlueBrazil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +508
    That's not quite what I meant, the situation would be

1 - go to prospective customers house
    2 - only one person there - provide quote
    3 - wait to see if they come back in store - if they do - often with lots of questions/clarification/redoing work

as opposed to
    1 - go to prospective customers house
    2 - both parties there - provide quote possibly get a signature otherwise leave
    3 - wait to see if they come back in/phone.

You've virtually 0 change of closing a sale if only one person is present, you have some chance if both are there - everyone is different though.