How noisy is the fan in the Humax PVR-9200?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by spl23, Oct 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Title says it all really - my current Humax 8000T is in the bedroom, and due to having no cooling fan, it is completely silent when in standby. I've heard rumours that not only does the 9200T have a fan, but also that it runs all the time, including when in standby.

Is this true? If so, how noisy is it? Will I be able to hear it from 8 feet away in a largely silent bedroom?

2. merlynn

merlynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The fan on my unit is very quiet you have to get very close to hear it.

3. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    If I lie on the floor underneath the TV and hold my breath; wait for my heart to stop thumping in my chest from the exertion (something I'm not proud about but am working upon) , and lie still for a minute or two, I can feel the air current blowing on my cheek. And if I put my my mind to it I can hear the air turbulence, yet still not the fan.

And i live in the sticks, where a cow farting makes it into the local village firelighter.

shh but we can be found here: our PVR forum, run by people interested in PVRs for people interested in PVRs. Many threads as you want. No ads. Feelings do run high from time to time. You have been warned.

http://www.pvrworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

4. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Well, to my great surprise, my PVR-9200 arrived from Dabs yesterday - I ordered it on 6 October, and had resigned myself to waiting another few weeks. But to follow up on my own post, the fan does run all the time, and I can't believe how quiet it is - I really can't hear it at all with my head two feet from the box, and if I couldn't feel the air coming out of the vent holes, I wouldn't believe it was running at all!

Now to reprogramme the Pronto and have a proper play...

5. eme

eme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the 9200t yesterday, I can hear it five miles away. am going to kick it out the window or take it back

6. koffeebreak

koffeebreak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had my 9200 for a couple of weeks now. I was a bit concerned about fan noise from what I'd read on forums etc, but I can honestly say I can't hear it at all. (And no, I'm not deaf!)

7. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Agree - The Humax 9200T is virtually silent - and I have two of them. One in use for well over a year now.

It's also one of the lightest in weight compared to my Digifusions, PVR 101/801 and the Topfield 5800t.

8. roger.browne

roger.browne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have owned a PVR8000 for some time and been very happy. On my second PVR9200, first was faulty (probably shipping damage), second has noisy fan, to the point it is distracting. Also loses TV guide when in standby and remote codes clash with my Toshiba TV! All in all a dissapointment after the PVR8000.

9. Dave_C

Dave_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I can't hear the fan in mine at all. I can hear the hard drive clicking for around 20 seconds when it's first switched on but that's it.

10. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Since they stopped it running in standby I can't hear the fan. Its drowned out by the hard drive whining away the rest of the time...