1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How noisy are fans?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ToniMontana, Mar 12, 2005.

1. ToniMontana

ToniMontana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im going to buy a PC tomorrow and am looking to build a decent machine thats very quiet. Im getting a case with 2 120mm fans so Im hoping they wont provide much noise.

Im also looking at the 6600GT video card. My question is, should I go for the fanless version from Giga-byte or will this cause temperature problems? Especially since I may put 2 cards in there at a later stage (in SLI mode). If I choose one with a fan, how loud will the fan be?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    For an HTPC you definitely want to go for a fanless graphics card if at all possible, the fans on these things can be very loud and 6600s reportedly can be pretty bad. There is one brand, Galaxy, which fit Arctic Cooler fans/heatsinks which are very quiet but they use the adjacent PCI slot so may you may not be able to fit two.

Why would you want to double-up 6600s though? I'd have thought that any application wanting massive resolution would also want the power of 6800s.

120mm case fans are a very good idea, the bigger the slower and quieter. :)

3. ToniMontana

ToniMontana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using SLI, you can double up 6600s to give equivalent (or even better) performance than a 6800GT Ultra. So, I want to purchase one card now and leave the option to buy another card if I need to upgrade later.

My main concern is if I use a fanless 6600GT now, is there a risk of it overheating? My guess would be no since they wouldnt have made one in the first place if it couldnt cope. Also, with a case using 120mm fans, Im assuming this will provide the overall case with enough cooling to help avoid the card overheating.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have had several fanless cards, some as supplied others I've fitted Zalman coolers to myself, never had a problem .. you'll be safe with one, especially from Gigabyte. Just make sure that the heatsink doesn't prevent a second one being installed in the second PCIe-16 slot.

5. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Just as a little aside you should have no problems with a GeForce 6600. My Gigabyte 6800 on the other hand used to regularly reach temps of over 100C before I installed case fans. Now it "only" reaches the mid 90s :) So as long as you've got some sort of cooling then everything should be fine.

6. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    jesus thats high very high in fact. ive never seen my 6800 over 65 even under load. ive seen OC'd 6800 GT's at ultra speeds that never reach those temps.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IIRC there's a temp. monitor in the NVidia Control Panel which is preset to warn at something like 124C.

8. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Yeah it is a bit high :confused:

Maybe in my quest to build a quiet PC the heat's been allowed to get out of hand a bit?

Anyway games only lock at over 100C. I think my record was 110C playing CS:Source and then I got green streaks and the display seized up. That led to me getting case fans.

Now no problems, the temp is below 100C, and as long as I don't get seizing up I'm happy, though it's debateable if this is doing any good for the lifespan of the card.

9. ToniMontana

ToniMontana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody have a 6600GT that runs with a fan? How load is the fan?

10. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    You can always buy an aftermarket cooler for the card, admittedly it invalidates your warranty but that's the price you pay for silence. You can also get aftermarket case fans from brands like Silenx that will be quieter than the ones from your case.

11. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Valhoudini: seroisuly it dosnt sound good at all. kraGorn is right there is a threshold monitor in the NV control panel. mine is set at 100 but ive never been anywhere near it. as i said above ive never seen it above 65 under tense load from far cry and The Source Engine. maybe its because the 6800Gt i have does have the best cooling out of the lot of them but yours still shouldnt be that high. i dont have many case fans either just one 80mm intake and 1 80mm outake and they are quiet for me liking and keep the case's ambient temp fairly low

12. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    BauerCTU I suppose either all of these cards reach these temperatures or I've got a duff one. So, as seems likely all of these cards reach these temps I don't see how I can lower the temperature :confused: If anyone else has the same make and model of card (Gigabyte GV-N68128DH) I'd be interested as to how high their card's temp reaches.

Just checked with Speedfan - all the other components in my PC hover around the 40C mark so it's not inadequate cooling as I thought, unless the Graphics card cools differently.

I suppose I'll just have to wait and see and hopefully if anything happens it'll be covered by the warranty. I've had the card for a month now so, touchwood, nothing will happen before I upgrade it.

13. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    for safety id set nvidia control panel to something that will let you play games but wont go to high. id say about 100. then id go to your manufactures Forums or some where else and ask about this. if its your card inparticular then send it back and get the Leadtek version ;)

14. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Okay, I've fired off an e-mail to Gigabyte's tech support explaining the high temperatures, so I'll wait for a reply and then take it from there. Thanks for your concern and help BauerCTU :thumbsup:

15. snejk

snejk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My hard disk has a deck of 2 small fans attached to it and they are very noisy. I've always wanted to remove them.
    However, what im concerned about is whether the hard disk was designed to have these fans to operate, or whether it was included as an extra.
    My hard disk is st380011a.
    Can i safely remove them? Will it affect performance?

Thanks