How noisy are ceiling speakers for rooms above?

Seph23

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to install ceiling speakers in a new build but will have the children in the rooms directly above, so have a couple of quick questions;

1, It's going to be a fairly standard house, timber-frame so I was curious for anyone that's already installed, how noisy are they in the rooms above?
2, Im looking at the C165 or C180s, without a backbox, is it a legal requirement to install with a firehood? That aside, I presume this would also offer good sound proofing?

Thanks in advance.

@ShanePJ could answer those as their company sells those models and he should know the legal things better aswell. Also consider CL2/CL3 rated speaker wire (AWG 14/16) so if something were to happen you won´t run in trouble with insurance company.

FYI Monitor Audio has also the CP range which is 50£ more expensive to C165 with built in back box by the company, no sound leaking.

Thanks @Gasp3621 . I've actually already ordered 2 Core 12AWG CL2 Speaker wire Access Series 12-18AWG CL2 Rated 2- or 4-Conductor Speaker Wire by Monoprice

I'll take a look at the backbox version, cheers

Presumably the CP-CT150, is a slightly smaller speaker than the C165?

Yes slightly smaller, but for typical living room used as overhead channels for a family man i think they would work fine. You also have quite small Radius speakers there already. Hope other members will comment about the noise thing will it really be issue or not. I assume you are thinking late night watching when kids are sleeping.

Good choice with the wire!

General rule of thumb building regs is that any hole you make that breaks a fire barrier, ie plasterboard, must be reinstated to the same level.

Simple solution is to get your builder to build backboxes out of plasterboard to enclose the speakers in.

Alternately use something like Hoodys fire and accoustic hoods to provide the isolation.

Finally, Monitor Audios are good. If a little expencive for performance at the lower end range. We used to use them for basic installs but switching to OSD for our next batch.

General rule of thumb building regs is that any hole you make that breaks a fire barrier, ie plasterboard, must be reinstated to the same level.
Is plasterboard actually considered a fire barrier?

Keen to know more about which OSD models your using in place of the Monitor Audios.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom