How my Sony BDP-S350 handles The Thin Red Line!

skk3

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just taken delivery of The Thin Red Line, which happened to be region free on Blu-ray, even though it was listed on the Hut as region 2. I have found that when I interrupt play or even take the disc out of the player, upon replacing the disc I get the option to resume play at previous point yes/no. Not complaining here for one minute (BRs aren't suppose to do this, are they?), but am I missing something? (Player's firmware is fully up to date).

Yes BRs can do this. It relates to the Java software on the disc.

If Java is not present the disc should stop/resume just like a DVD which means it won't remember where it was if the disc is removed unless the player has internal multi-disc rsume hardware.

However while not on every BR disc some have a Java setup that actually saves a resume point to the memory used for BD live, this resume point remains even if you remove the disc and is picked up when the disc is reinserted and the Java reloaded and offers to resume playback. The real pain is that only a relatively small fraction of BDs seem to have this feature.

Yes BRs can do this. It relates to the Java software on the disc.

If Java is not present the disc should stop/resume just like a DVD which means it won't remember where it was if the disc is removed unless the player has internal multi-disc rsume hardware.

However while not on every BR disc some have a Java setup that actually saves a resume point to the memory used for BD live, this resume point remains even if you remove the disc and is picked up when the disc is reinserted and the Java reloaded and offers to resume playback. The real pain is that only a relatively small fraction of BDs seem to have this feature.

Interesting...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom