How my son’s console can be setup

Mr Miaowgi

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I’m sure this is dead easy but just wanted to be sure before tmrw. I’m separated and my sonhas a login on my Xbox series x. It’s his own email etc and his mum has got him a series s for her house. Am I right in thinking he just turns it on fresh out the box and logs into his account and it will pick everything up fine?

1. Will she need an account on the console? I’m hoping not as his account is linked to me on Msoft family

2. Will she need to get him games pass ultimate? He seems to have access to mine on my console

3. does he need to set it up as his primary console as he will spend more time on that one?

4. can she pay for things he’d like such as games etc with her own bank card?

5. do they need the Xbox app to set it up? I used this for mine but his phone is all locked down etc. I’m hoping they can do it on the console

sorry about this. I just wanted to be sure before I message her the instructions.

If you have gamepass, then I'd suggest setting his Series S as your home console. That way he will have access to your licence and your own digital purchases. Once setup, you can remove your login from the S. When he is round yours, you both need to be logged in to the Series X to for both of you to access the licences. As for account, yes he just uses the same login on both consoles and I'd also suggest you set your SX up as his home console to fully benefit from games sharing.

His mum should be able to setup her bank card on his account but I'd suggest using the xbox wallet and topping up from CDKeys.

If you have gamepass, then I'd suggest setting his Series S as your home console. That way he will have access to your licence and your own digital purchases. Once setup, you can remove your login from the S. When he is round yours, you both need to be logged in to the Series X to for both of you to access the licences. As for account, yes he just uses the same login on both consoles and I'd also suggest you set your SX up as his home console to fully benefit from games sharing.

His mum should be able to setup her bank card on his account but I'd suggest using the xbox wallet and topping up from CDKeys.
Thanks.
I’m keen on trying to keep it as simple as possible as she won’t get the whole cd keys thing or me able to set the console has my home etc.
I take it when he turns the console on for the first time, he can just sign in and she pay for ultimate?

can it be done via the console direct and not with the app?

Thanks.
I’m keen on trying to keep it as simple as possible as she won’t get the whole cd keys thing or me able to set the console has my home etc.
I take it when he turns the console on for the first time, he can just sign in and she pay for ultimate?

can it be done via the console direct and not with the app?
Yep, will prompt for an account on start up and once on, go to store and subscriptions

It's a bothering process but you only need to do it once and it will just make your lives easier. Your son's console as your main, your console as his main, means he can just enjoy your Ultimate and whatever game you purchase he will have access to. His mum wouldn't have to be involved at all, unless he cannot set the home console by himself in the settings.

I currently games hare with my nephew I gave him my old xbox one when I got the one x and I setup gameshare so basically he shares my game library and gold sub.

I have now got my son his own console the series s and therefore now want to share my games library with his console. Instead of my nephew as he is going it alone now. Do I get my nephew to delete my profile from his console and I then set my sons console as home and provide my login details. Then I make his console my home etc

I want to.ensure none of my. Nephews details are affected eg his xbox account etc

Quote Reply

You should be able to simply log onto your sons S and go to settings to set it as your home console. Doing that should revoke the rights from your Nephews. He will of course need to get his own subscription, if he hasn't already but all else will be fine... He'll obviously lose access to your digital purchases as you will do for his.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom