1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How musical is the Arcam Diva DV79/AVR300

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by gordon hamlett, Jun 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. gordon hamlett

gordon hamlett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's the age old problem. My system is on its last legs and needs replacing. Space/funds/wife dictate that I can't upgrade my hifi and invest in an AV system as well so I am wondering if a compromise is worthwhile or not.

All the magazines suggest that the Arcam Diva DV79/AVR 300 (250 at a pinch) is one of the best AV systems musically but what sort of stand alone CD player/amp would it be a match for?

My existing system is an old Marantz CD65IISEcd player, NAD3240PE amp and B&WDM110 speakers and I am looking for something noticeably better when it comes to music.

If the AV system can't outperform that, then I will have to ditch that idea and just go for upgrading the hifi.

So how good is the Arcam when it comes to playing music? What sort of currently available standalone hifi products is it a match for?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Gordon

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Dude if it were me, I would be looking to buy a Arcam DV27A DVD-V/A player and route it towards a Arcam A32 amplifier, then bolt on the best pair of stereo speakers you can afford (Dynaudios work well off Arcam a pair of Dyn 52s for example). Ask yourself this : What is the system to be used for ? AV DVD-V visual/surround sound, or DVD-V visual use with a fantastic stereo capabilty for your existing CD collection.

Its simply a question of priorities dude TBH, I use a DVD-V/A player in my stereo setup but would not have a 5.1 surround gig, simply due to how much I listen to stereo based media (CD, Vinyl and Linear PCM Stereo from DVD-V and DVD-A stereo).

You just have ask yourself where your priorities lie.

ATB.

3. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    A question, why do you want an AV system for listening to music?

When you go to watch a band, do you normally have parts of the band behind you, or are they typically infront of you?
    Personally I've yet to hear an AV system at any price (including £80k Meridian systems) that makes me think I need AV to listen to music.

Go spend the dosh on a decent stereo, it'll certainly be more cost effective (no need to spend money on extra amplification and speakers that you don't need).

4. pete1866

pete1866

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I presume he wants an av to watch movies in surround sound as well as music. That is the position i am in and i have read that denon amps are quite suited to music as well though obviously not as good as a pure music amp.

5. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes, that old problem. As compromises will always be required.

Valid points CJ and Mr Sukebe.

For what is worth, I would compare an Arcam DV79/ArcamAVR300 with the level of performance of an Arcam CD73/Rotel RA-1072. Still not as good, but very musical. That is more a reflection on how good stereo amps are rather than a reflection on the Arcam.

But you are spending a lot more money to get to that level of stereo performance.

When you say that you don’t have the space, do you mean that you don’t have the space for two separate systems, or you don’t have the space for both a stereo amp and AV amp in your rack. Again it is a compromise, by connecting the pre out of an AV to an input of the stereo amp, and using this amp to drive the front stereo speakers (stereo inputs are connected to the stereo amp). Hence with this method, you can spend a majority of you budget on the stereo side, yet still have multi-channel effects.

6. gordon hamlett

gordon hamlett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for that guys. As ever more to ponder. Just when you think that have a solution, someone goes and changes the question (paraphrased from 1066 and all that)

She who must be obeyed is looking to reduce the 'number of boxes' so it is going to be the hardest decision of all - brilliant music system and bog standard tv or compromise on the music to bring in av. And every time, I come up with a different answer ...

Gordon

7. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Harry you make a very competent assessment IMHO of AV or Stereo, the fact your using the word compromise shows your head is bolted on correctly.

For me I happily live with hearing DVD-V from my stereo setup because DVD-V film time probably take up 10% of my time, 90% of my time in my lounge is given to CD, Vinyl & DVD-V/A music through 2 channels. Thus I have chosen to go for 2 channel playback as my main spending criteria. Ive heard lots of good reports of the Arcam AV recievers, but for me I would rather have an Arcam A32 on the rack, that 10% ratio of 5.1 time does not mean for me 50% more of a budget to get decent stereo from AV kit, if that makes any sense.

You just have to guage where you make the compromise. I easily let the extra 3 channels suffer for the sake of my 90% stereo time. FWIW Ive long used a DVD transport into stereo DACs without any problem, may appear funny me having a DVD player and a stereo setup but it has worked for me perfectly, no need for 5.1.

Disclaimer: I bought a Dolby Digital 5.1 TV recently and that covers all the bases I need from 5.1, not as good as an AV separates rig, but again a fine AV compromise for my needs.

ATB Gordon.

8. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    PS Gordon there are 2 amps in the Classifieds just now that I would jump at :

Arcam A22 : £550
    Primare A30.1 : £700

Both excellent stereo devices.

9. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Not sure if I can do this but Im selling my Arcam A32 in the classifieds as well.