how much...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egg White

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
cash do you have spare at the moment to spend?

I know everyone's different...but a week before payday I have about 8k in cash, lower than normal but been an expensive month...I feel low because of this :(

Payday is Monday, I have £3.77 left in my bank account and don't have enough diesel left in the car to be able to go out over the weekend.
If you feel low with 'only' £8k, how do you think us payday to payday people feel?!

I have £20 in cash in my wallet and £16 in my account. I get paid too on Monday. I have money in my other 2 accounts I share with my wife. One is purely for savings and cannot be touched and the other is for household payments/mortgage etc, but me personally I have only £36 for this weekend. Good job I'm working this weekend as I don't have enough to do anything else.

well, I'm nearly 50...worked hard all my life...don't spend a great deal, and when I was a kid my aunt was the same as me...my parents (skint) called them tight, but they were just careful...

Immediate cash?

A few hundred quid. But have a number of thousands stashed away in Premuim Bonds and ISAs.

we live in a small house...don't need anything bigger, this isn't a brag post, I assumed everyone would be in the same boat, tho a couple of youngsters at work moaned and said they were eating dust for tea...I have been there..

we live in a small house...don't need anything bigger, this isn't a brag post, I assumed everyone would be in the same boat, tho a couple of youngsters at work moaned and said they were eating dust for tea...I have been there..

You assumed everyone has £8k of disposable income left at the end of a 93 day month?

o_O

You assumed everyone has £8k of disposable income left at the end of a 93 day month?

o_O

well, think we're lucky as our gross salary is more than our mortgage...but shit happens...boiler broke and were sitting in the cold haha...will sort tomorrow... :)

I am about to come into a lot of cash!
A prince from Nigeria has recently died and his cousin is getting the money. I lent him some money so he could pay for the solicitor fees.

Though seriously, i'm saving up for a new car, so have around 4K atm.
It's disposable, in the sense if something serious breaks i can dip into it if need be.

I don't take credit out on things, i save and save then buy what i need.

I am about to come into a lot of cash!
A prince from Nigeria has recently died and his cousin is getting the money. I lent him some money so he could pay for the solicitor fees.

Though seriously, i'm saving up for a new car, so have around 4K atm.
It's disposable, in the sense if something serious breaks i can dip into it if need be.

I don't take credit out on things, i save and save then buy what i need.

when i was younger I was skint as hell...poor parents etc...went to uni and met a mate who said - but cheap buy twice etc and also buy in bulk...his was never a mentality I had...simple stuff maybe, but not something I was taught...my parents were skint as fcuk.. :( I learnt the hard way...took years tho... and I'm careful now and allowed to save, and if anyone moans then tough...maybe they'll learn?

You are exceptionally lucky reiteration, a large percentage of the UK are living payday to payday with no disposable income left at the end of each month.
I'd be over the moon if I had £8k in my bank account, but that's 6 months wages for me. After monthly expenses go out I have less than £20 left. This month has been particularly tough as December's pay goes in earlier and therefore has to last longer.
If I'm very frugal I can perhaps put £50 a month into savings, but that's only if nothing unexpected crops up and I ditch the social life.

Are we talking savings? That boiler’s gonna blow one day.

just what's there..but I have a boiler problem, it's not old, but may cost 50, or 500...but it's what you have to allow for...

About minus 2 grand on an interest free CC.

I started my new job on Dec 17th, and as I had to pay my old employer my cycle 2 work money back, the last time I was actually paid any money before Christmas was the 7th December - and that was only a weeks wages.

I did get paid a week’s wages from my new employer on the 28th December, and I’ve been paid 4 weeks wages today - but I haven’t been paid any of the travelling time I sent in, which should have been £400. So basically I’ve got/had 6 weeks wages to last me 11 weeks, which included Christmas.

I thought the OP was actually joking until I read further down :eek:

when i was younger I was skint as hell...poor parents etc...went to uni and met a mate who said - but cheap buy twice etc and also buy in bulk...his was never a mentality I had...simple stuff maybe, but not something I was taught...my parents were skint as fcuk.. :( I learnt the hard way...took years tho... and I'm careful now and allowed to save, and if anyone moans then tough...maybe they'll learn?

I grew up with no money, my dad was awful with money and got into serious debt many times. My brother took after him too.
I think i was lucky, i saw the sadness and anger of him working all the time and having nothing to show for it, felt the fear of the letter box going with over due bills or someone taking away the car etc.

It stuck with me and made me more frugal, if i felt the urge to buy something, i would wait, and wait, and wait, instead of buying it straight away. Eventually the urge would go, and if it didn't, i would save up.

There is a false economy in buying cheap things. Low quality stuff does end up costing more, be it time, hastle because of bad customer service etc, or money in having to replace the thing that broke too early. Sometimes it's all you can afford though.

The economy today doesn't seem to help anyone, people working full time jobs should have some money left over at the end of the month, but they don't. Food is getting more expensive, a lot more expensive. It either goes way up in price, or the contents are cut down drastically and costs the same. I see this only getting worse when the no deal brexit happens.

When i say i'm saving up for a new car, i mean a car thats about 3 or 4 years old but will still be newish. I think that seems to be a good price to get one that will last a good few years and be econimical to run too. I do my own servicing so i save money that way too.

£68 million. That right, £68 million as of tonight.:thumbsup:

Oh testicles, I never buy lottery tickets.:(

Memo to self......:facepalm:

Cash probably 1k.

Last edited by a moderator:
8k savings is bringing you misery!! Jeez, many haven't got a pot to piss in at the moment.

We have a young girl working in our office who's had a real tough time lately, she lost her Dad on Christmas day, in order to pay for his funeral, her and her brother had to help their mother with costs which cleared her out. 3 days later she suffered head gasket failure on her car, she couldn't afford to fix it so sold it for scrap and got £250 which she used for a travel card.... She didn't tell us about any of this although on Wednesday it all came to a head when she broke down at her desk.

I arranged a collection for her, put in £100 myself, as did 90% of people on my floor, I believe the total was close to 4k which will hopefully put her back in a decent position, we don't want the money back, just wanted to the decent thing.

Somewhere in between being able to afford my utility bills... and... buying a flat in Monaco.
In reality a bit closer to the former rather than the later.

:)

I know everyone's different...but a week before payday I have about 8k in cash, lower than normal but been an expensive month...I feel low because of this :(

Do you mean £8k left over from your monthly salary or in total savings?

Cheers,

Nigel

Honestly mate, if £8k of savings makes you feel 'low', you need to have a chat with yourself and get a little perspective. I don't know you that well, but quite like your online persona. A number of years ago, I met a woman (a friend of the SIL) who at a party, moaned about 'only' having £10k in their savings account. As I knew that her & her husband's parents had recently helped them to buy their house and they got the leg-up (financially) in life that my wife and I never had, I just thought her comment was ill-judged, thoughtless and pointless. Which is how I feel about your post tbh. I just wandered off, shaking my head, wondering what goes through some people's minds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom