How much would YOU pay for a new DAP?

How much would YOU pay for a new DAP?

• Total voters
S

shadowritten

There was much debate in my office yesterday about the amount most people seem willing to pay for today's hand-held consumer electronics - the conversation ultimately centring around DAPs.

Interestingly, the majority of my colleagues said that £100-£150 is all they'd spend; and many eyebrows were raised when I claimed (sincerely, I might add) that I'd happily go up to £350 for a near-perfect piece of kit.

So it's poll time again. I'd like to know what you'd be prepared to spend on a new DAP, if you had the cash and were ready to replace your existing one. As well as voting, I'd love it if you could also give a brief reason within this thread as to why that's all you'd pay; and, if you're not particular about it, give your age, as I discovered yesterday that while the older members of the team had greater disposable income, it was the younger folk who were prepared to spend more.

For me (I'm 32, btw), I really would spend up to £350, because I genuinely believe you only get what you pay for.

Who's next?

I agree with you. I don't care too much for huge amounts of disk space - 10gb would be perfect for me - but I'd pay a lot for sound quality. The whole point of a DAP is music, and I know from experience that if you aren't happy with the sound quality you're getting, the whole listening experience just becomes subconciously unpleasant.

£200 max, because I like to upgrade every year or so so I can't really justify spending any more than that. Besides any player I bought wouldn't need a 100GB of storage so it would never cost that much, maybe adding the video playback to the players will ramp up the cost until that becomes standard.

I would happily pay over £350 for a DAP assuming it actually fulfilled my needs, which currently none of the DAPs on the market do. I want more than 60Gb of storage, I want to be able to store photos on it, and i want to be able to navigate 10,000+ songs easily, without looking like i'm fingering a white plastic box for fun. I await the day that the 60Gb iPod i currently own can be removed from my pocket and thrown into the nearest wall as i hate it so much.

SeaneyC said:
... i want to be able to navigate 10,000+ songs easily, without looking like i'm fingering a white plastic box for fun. I await the day that the 60Gb iPod i currently own can be removed from my pocket and thrown into the nearest wall as i hate it so much.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

£200-250 for me. 30-40GB is adequate at the moment and I like ATRAC, so the NW-HD5H suits me fine. I can imagine needing more memory though, in time, as I generally dont go under 256kbps, so perhaps I should have put £350 plus.. but its too late now I guess...

(I'm 41)...

I'm the opposite of Cloysterpeteuk, in that, when I buy a new toy, I expect it to last me at least 5 years and hopefully nearer 10. I spend a long time shopping around and will pay anything, within reason, for the right product. I'm not interested in a DAP that can't hold my entire music collection, which allowing for future growth, means I need 40GB. I'm 42 and I've just spent £265 on the iAudio H340 (non SE/Lite version).

Although i voted £250-£300 i would happily play more if the DAP met all my needs,the primary need being sound quality with HD size closely following behind.
I dont believe the current crop justify any more money than that given they all have some flaw or another whether it being quality,lack of gapless etc etc .
Have you seen what complete PC systems you can pick up now with flat screens etc etc for not a lot more or even for that £350 and yet they charge £300 for the ipod 60,you certainly pay a lot for so called "style!".

I'm with Shadow. Wouldn't mind paying more for a player that could fit more than half of my music collection (I think that means at least 60GB, if compatible with Atrac) in a very small device.

well spotted, Shadowritten. The iAudio X5L was another leading contender which came very close, but didn't offer enough advantages to compensate for the smaller hard drive and additional cost.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom