How much would you pay for a Blu Ray ?

There's always a price for the deluded.:D

Crazy man, just crazy.

If you can afford to spend £200 on a steelbook fair play to you I say.

I Believe thats a quite rare package and a sought after collectors item , not to be confused with your run of the mill blu ray release.

A bit like the collected beatles albums on vinyl from a certain master tape set , which regular changes hands for many thousands of pounds.

Of course , all of these items lose half their value as soon as you break the package seal , meaning you would never actually play them .....

Its a whole different mindset.

I Believe thats a quite rare package and a sought after collectors item , not to be confused with your run of the mill blu ray release.

A bit like the collected beatles albums on vinyl from a certain master tape set , which regular changes hands for many thousands of pounds.

Of course , all of these items lose half their value as soon as you break the package seal , meaning you would never actually play them .....

Its a whole different mindset.

Not quite the same though is it as your Beatles analogy as the actual film on the disc will be no different from a bog standard release.

I can understand paying a little extra for better packaging, just not that much :)

Not quite the same though is it as your Beatles analogy as the actual film on the disc will be no different from a bog standard release.

Content being different doesnt really matter to a collector , they never get opened anyway , certain items in unusual packaging or format have a collectors value , this tends to rise over time , and this is all that matters to those in the habit of collecting such items.

In Ye Olde Dayes ™ I remember paying around a ton each for a couple of LaserDiscs I wanted.

I don't have that sort of disposable income hanging around to justify it now, though.

My favourite film is A Matter of Life and Death. Now let's say Criterion put this out, and for whatever reason I discovered it wasn't going to get a UK release. What would I pay?

Hmm. Maybe £40 or £50.

Any other film, maximum of £30 if it was one of my other favourites, and no more than current typical top selling price at Amazon, which is around £17.

Steve W

In Ye Olde Dayes ™ I remember paying around a ton each for a couple of LaserDiscs I wanted.

I don't have that sort of disposable income hanging around to justify it now, though.

My favourite film is A Matter of Life and Death. Now let's say Criterion put this out, and for whatever reason I discovered it wasn't going to get a UK release. What would I pay?

Hmm. Maybe £40 or £50.

Any other film, maximum of £30 if it was one of my other favourites, and no more than current typical top selling price at Amazon, which is around £17.

Steve W

Were laser discs really that expensive??

This collecting and never watching mullarkey has always had me dumbfounded. Around 12 years ago I collected the James Bond VHS boxset from Brittania Video Club and a family friend did the same except he never opened them as they would be an investment for later years...

This boxset can now be obtained for all you NICAM Stereo 4:3 fans out there!

James Bond Limited Edition Video Box Set VHS on eBay (end time 10-Oct-09 20:51:32 BST)

I suppose that if they had the cellophane still on they would fetch around £2.50 more than the £5.00 currently being asked for?

Duncs

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

And then some...

Most I paid for a single laserdisc was about 100 quid and then the Star Wars boxset was 250 quid.

Yep, strick me in the deluded camp.:D

I'm guessing close to 10k for laserdiscs I bought over the years.:eek:

A LD could be as much as £100 for more for something very special or a limited edition. Star Wars LD's went for a lot of money before they released the theatrical versions on DVD (actually taken from the LD master).

If a LD was on one disc then it would cost £20-£25 but two or more discs then add £10 per disc on top. Most I paid was £35 for the Abyss.

This Rambo link has been posted before.

Laserdiscs could be very expensive at times.

The normal pricing was along these lines...

Single disk CLV - £34.99
Double disk CLV - £39.99
Double disk CLV Gatefold - £39.99 to £44.99

However...

Boxsets varied between £50 to £350 (for the Star Wars Definitive Collection) - Although I'm sure there were probably a couple even more expensive than that.

Special releases such Criterion CAV releases ranged from £60ish up to ones like the Criterion Taxi Driver which I paid £135 for.

They were special though and definitely seemed like value for money at the time.

A LD could be as much as £100 for more for something very special or a limited edition. Star Wars LD's went for a lot of money before they released the theatrical versions on DVD (actually taken from the LD master).

If a LD was on one disc then it would cost £20-£25 but two or more discs then add £10 per disc on top. Most I paid was £35 for the Abyss.

You did well getting them for that price if you're talking about NTSC releases which I guess you are. I used to by mine from a shop here in Leeds called 'Movie Boulevard' and then a mail order place called 'Laser Enterprises'. Certainly can't remember buying any that cost less than £30 each.

The most I've paid for a Blu-Ray so far is £27 for The Hurt Locker and Crank. The Leon steelbook set me back around £23, I think. These prices are expensive, but forking out £200 for a steelbook, however rare, is just madness.

and then a mail order place called 'Laser Enterprises'.

Yeah, unfortunately some self righteous asshole grassed em' up to FACT and customs.

You did well getting them for that price if you're talking about NTSC releases which I guess you are. I used to by mine from a shop here in Leeds called 'Movie Boulevard' and then a mail order place called 'Laser Enterprises'. Certainly can't remember buying any that cost less than £30 each.

MB was where I used to buy my LaserDiscs, too. :thumbsup:

Steve W

Bought from MVC and were PAL releases.

I did pick up the first 3 Star Wars films in NTSC for £17 each from Disc Emporium. Even other NTSC releases were around £25-£35 too.

MB was where I used to buy my LaserDiscs, too. :thumbsup:

Steve W

Movie Boulevard are still going. Not sure how though to be honest. They seem to just stock a load of old programmes and posters now and only get DVDs and Blu-rays in on special order. I find it amazing that they bring in enough money from that to have a city centre shop and a wage for both the guys who own it. :confused:

:eek:

Wow, I never realised they were so expensive.

Hell yes!! Although I don't remember my imported Star Wars boxset costing more than 150. I used to import directly from the states DVDempire, DVDexpress and on the odd occasion go and buy from the disc emporium in Knebworth.

Would I pay 250 for a freely available average film...? No way but collectors do have a habit of paying what they personally think it's worth.

Last edited:
If I don't count boxsets, the most I paid for a BD is £13.99 for Monsters Inc then got £2 refunded as the price went down. The cheapest has been £4.50. Most end up at my now £10 limit.

Last edited:
Most expensive Blu Ray - £20 for Mission Impossible 3 but only because I had a £20 HMV voucher burning a hole in my pocket.

Star Wars LD set cost me about £180 I think. Alien and Aliens LD box sets were £85 each !

I also remember going into Tower Records in Piccadilly and seeing Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (US disc so uncut) and buying it for £31 just cos I wanted to see the heart ripping scene. Wonder if we'll get it uncut on Blu in the UK.

Crazy days, would never pay those prices again :D

Wont pay more then £20 for a movie and £40 for a boxset. The person paying over £200 must have money to burn.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom