How much would you pay for a Blu Ray ?

andy1249

Distinguished Member
I Believe thats a quite rare package and a sought after collectors item , not to be confused with your run of the mill blu ray release.

A bit like the collected beatles albums on vinyl from a certain master tape set , which regular changes hands for many thousands of pounds.

Of course , all of these items lose half their value as soon as you break the package seal , meaning you would never actually play them .....

Its a whole different mindset.

Shaun666

I Believe thats a quite rare package and a sought after collectors item , not to be confused with your run of the mill blu ray release.

A bit like the collected beatles albums on vinyl from a certain master tape set , which regular changes hands for many thousands of pounds.

Of course , all of these items lose half their value as soon as you break the package seal , meaning you would never actually play them .....

Its a whole different mindset.

Not quite the same though is it as your Beatles analogy as the actual film on the disc will be no different from a bog standard release.

I can understand paying a little extra for better packaging, just not that much :)

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Not quite the same though is it as your Beatles analogy as the actual film on the disc will be no different from a bog standard release.

Content being different doesnt really matter to a collector , they never get opened anyway , certain items in unusual packaging or format have a collectors value , this tends to rise over time , and this is all that matters to those in the habit of collecting such items.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
In Ye Olde Dayes ™ I remember paying around a ton each for a couple of LaserDiscs I wanted.

I don't have that sort of disposable income hanging around to justify it now, though.

My favourite film is A Matter of Life and Death. Now let's say Criterion put this out, and for whatever reason I discovered it wasn't going to get a UK release. What would I pay?

Hmm. Maybe £40 or £50.

Any other film, maximum of £30 if it was one of my other favourites, and no more than current typical top selling price at Amazon, which is around £17.

Steve W

Richard

Distinguished Member
In Ye Olde Dayes ™ I remember paying around a ton each for a couple of LaserDiscs I wanted.

I don't have that sort of disposable income hanging around to justify it now, though.

My favourite film is A Matter of Life and Death. Now let's say Criterion put this out, and for whatever reason I discovered it wasn't going to get a UK release. What would I pay?

Hmm. Maybe £40 or £50.

Any other film, maximum of £30 if it was one of my other favourites, and no more than current typical top selling price at Amazon, which is around £17.

Steve W

Were laser discs really that expensive??

dunks517

This collecting and never watching mullarkey has always had me dumbfounded. Around 12 years ago I collected the James Bond VHS boxset from Brittania Video Club and a family friend did the same except he never opened them as they would be an investment for later years...

This boxset can now be obtained for all you NICAM Stereo 4:3 fans out there!

James Bond Limited Edition Video Box Set VHS on eBay (end time 10-Oct-09 20:51:32 BST)

I suppose that if they had the cellophane still on they would fetch around £2.50 more than the £5.00 currently being asked for?

Duncs

IAN P

Distinguished Member

And then some...

Most I paid for a single laserdisc was about 100 quid and then the Star Wars boxset was 250 quid.

Yep, strick me in the deluded camp.:D

I'm guessing close to 10k for laserdiscs I bought over the years.:eek:

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member

A LD could be as much as £100 for more for something very special or a limited edition. Star Wars LD's went for a lot of money before they released the theatrical versions on DVD (actually taken from the LD master).

If a LD was on one disc then it would cost £20-£25 but two or more discs then add £10 per disc on top. Most I paid was £35 for the Abyss.

This Rambo link has been posted before.

richard_t

Laserdiscs could be very expensive at times.

The normal pricing was along these lines...

Single disk CLV - £34.99
Double disk CLV - £39.99
Double disk CLV Gatefold - £39.99 to £44.99

However...

Boxsets varied between £50 to £350 (for the Star Wars Definitive Collection) - Although I'm sure there were probably a couple even more expensive than that.

Special releases such Criterion CAV releases ranged from £60ish up to ones like the Criterion Taxi Driver which I paid £135 for.

They were special though and definitely seemed like value for money at the time.

richard_t

A LD could be as much as £100 for more for something very special or a limited edition. Star Wars LD's went for a lot of money before they released the theatrical versions on DVD (actually taken from the LD master).

If a LD was on one disc then it would cost £20-£25 but two or more discs then add £10 per disc on top. Most I paid was £35 for the Abyss.

You did well getting them for that price if you're talking about NTSC releases which I guess you are. I used to by mine from a shop here in Leeds called 'Movie Boulevard' and then a mail order place called 'Laser Enterprises'. Certainly can't remember buying any that cost less than £30 each.

CJPowers81

The most I've paid for a Blu-Ray so far is £27 for The Hurt Locker and Crank. The Leon steelbook set me back around £23, I think. These prices are expensive, but forking out £200 for a steelbook, however rare, is just madness.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
You did well getting them for that price if you're talking about NTSC releases which I guess you are. I used to by mine from a shop here in Leeds called 'Movie Boulevard' and then a mail order place called 'Laser Enterprises'. Certainly can't remember buying any that cost less than £30 each.

MB was where I used to buy my LaserDiscs, too. :thumbsup:

Steve W

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member

Bought from MVC and were PAL releases.

I did pick up the first 3 Star Wars films in NTSC for £17 each from Disc Emporium. Even other NTSC releases were around £25-£35 too.

richard_t

MB was where I used to buy my LaserDiscs, too. :thumbsup:

Steve W

Movie Boulevard are still going. Not sure how though to be honest. They seem to just stock a load of old programmes and posters now and only get DVDs and Blu-rays in on special order. I find it amazing that they bring in enough money from that to have a city centre shop and a wage for both the guys who own it. :confused:

LanceR

Distinguished Member

Hell yes!! Although I don't remember my imported Star Wars boxset costing more than 150. I used to import directly from the states DVDempire, DVDexpress and on the odd occasion go and buy from the disc emporium in Knebworth.

Would I pay 250 for a freely available average film...? No way but collectors do have a habit of paying what they personally think it's worth.

Last edited:

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
If I don't count boxsets, the most I paid for a BD is £13.99 for Monsters Inc then got £2 refunded as the price went down. The cheapest has been £4.50. Most end up at my now £10 limit.

Last edited:

Shaun666

Most expensive Blu Ray - £20 for Mission Impossible 3 but only because I had a £20 HMV voucher burning a hole in my pocket.

Star Wars LD set cost me about £180 I think. Alien and Aliens LD box sets were £85 each !

I also remember going into Tower Records in Piccadilly and seeing Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (US disc so uncut) and buying it for £31 just cos I wanted to see the heart ripping scene. Wonder if we'll get it uncut on Blu in the UK.

Crazy days, would never pay those prices again :D

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom