How much would a monolith killer cost diy?

TopMeTom

Banned
Have a wanted thread for a monolith killer, and arcam boy advised diy. Now, i am chuffing useless but willing to learn?

Question as the title says really, i did fancy on of the epik subs that had twin subs in, what would i need to do this type of thing?

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Depends on your size restrictions. You might be best deciding how big of a sub you can handle, then deciding on a budget, and you have something to work with.

TopMeTom

Banned
Well i had two monoliths and it was blooming great, sold one as i was going to buy a pb12+2 but that fell through so i can get away with similar sizes?

jason shep

How about a dual opposed 15" like Ashmanuk is building,sounds like you have space for it if you were looking at getting a pb12-2 ?

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
My first cylinder sub cost me about £350, including amp and 15 inch driver and it was way better than my monolith. I did use secondhand parts to make it but if you hunt around you can do something like that. As your budget goes up, what you can make gets better and better.

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
For two decent drivers you're looking at about £600ish, an amp approx £250 and you can spend £100-150 on the rest of the materials. The materials you might save some money on, but the amp and drivers are the big money items. If you budget about a grand, you can get very good performance from DIY. That is if you buy everything new, if you get secondhand you could save some money, but it's not easy finding the bits.
If you need to buy tools, then the costs go up again.

let me see, a router costs about £50 and a jigsaw about £40. You don't need to waste your money on expensive stuff like bosch or dewalt. That's what I use and it works a treat.

The hardest bit about building a diy sub is getting the wood cut at a diy shop or wood supplier. :smashin:

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
let me see, a router costs about £50 and a jigsaw about £40. You don't need to waste your money on expensive stuff like bosch or dewalt. That's what I use and it works a treat.

The hardest bit about building a diy sub is getting the wood cut at a diy shop or wood supplier. :smashin:

You can cut it yourself if you have a circular saw. It's true that powertools are cheap. Basic B&Q tools will do for something like this, a cheap router and circular saw don't cost much. A drill comes in useful too and you'll need some handtools like a handsaw, measuring tape etc. Not pricey though and to be fair, every man needs those things in the garage anyway.

You asked about the submersive so I gave you the price for a couple of drivers and an amp. The submersive is an expensive sub so to think about building something similar would also cost quite a lot of money. If money is tight, then just build a single driver sub and that chops about £300 off the price.
Like I said before, with some scrimping and using used bits, my first sub cost me about £350 to make. The whole point of DIY is that you spend what you can afford and build the best you can for however far your budget stretches. My subs aren't the best DIY subs out there, but they're the best I could build for the money I had to spend and I wouldn't be able to buy anything for the same money that would give the same performance.

I looked at importing the seaton submersive a while back along with getting nathan at funky waves in the states to do me a sub too, but when you incorporate the import costs you could actually build two dual 15 or even 18" sealed subs with amps etc... and still have change. Having said that you can't take nothing away from Mark Seaton as he has some awesome tri-amp catalyst speakers and including the submersive HP and the monster he is working on called the terraform XL.

The Terraform XL - Seaton Sound Discussion Forum

Oh and it's very theraputic cutting wood too.

Darkstar_surfer

Can I suggest that before you go of buying expensive drives and amps you have a go at building something. It can be sub enclosure or maybe a table. That way you will see if DIY is for you.

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
can I just say that DIY can be very rewarding, i`ve built an house amongst other things so have plenty of experience. Good tools make life so much easier and they don`t have to be expensive, but if you go into this full time as a trade then good tools cost money if you want them to perform and last.

One thing to remember is, and this is if you use a £5 or a £50 saw.......

measure twice and cut once :smashin:

good luck Phil

Allan

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Alan? Is that you?

Are you thinking of coming to the dark side :devil: Surely not :eek:

With the space you have on offer, I could design you some monstrous subs that would leave you never ever looking back.:smashin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
Alan? Is that you?

Are you thinking of coming to the dark side :devil: Surely not :eek:

With the space you have on offer, I could design you some monstrous subs that would leave you never ever looking back.:smashin:

I`ll leave the designing Dan to the men who can,I can`t have on demo what I can`t offer to customers can I :rolleyes:

plus my sub building days stopped when I built a pair of 4 x 18" horn loaded Martin bins in the 70`s :rotfl:, now they did kickass.

and space.......... you ought to see the new room, its half as big again, i`ve cabled for 4 subs in their :eek:

plus 3 x 150`s, 6 x 95`s, it doesn`t sound too bad as is run in Audyssey DSX :devil:

I demo`d the Super 8 rail crash scene the other day for a client, jesus, I thought the house was caving in... and so did he :laugh:

hope you have a great christmas :smashin:

Allan

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Well, if you say I cant, fair enough, I guess the men that can must have some magical abilities us mere mortals couldnt possibly ever hope to dream of.

All the best for the new year everybody :thumbsup:

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
Dan

I never said you can`t mate did I, I said i`ll leave it to the ones who can and I can then have on demo.

Unless you have a production line going and a warehouse full of them mate its a non starter.

merry christmas

Allan

PS. Santa`s been so its back to norm :D

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Dan

I never said you can`t mate did I, I said i`ll leave it to the ones who can and I can then have on demo.

Unless you have a production line going and a warehouse full of them mate its a non starter.

merry christmas

Allan

PS. Santa`s been so its back to norm :D

I can give you a demo any time you want, all you need to do is ask, and be able to take a trip to Chorley in Lancs. Its a custom install, so you would have to do the driving this time, but I guess the motivation isnt there ;). Still, I'll leave you to enjoy your christmas.

Alex Lake

Standard Member
If one is building essentially a new house, is there some mileage to be had in building a sub into/underneath the floor?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021