1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much will a sub improve my system?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by allypolly, Feb 5, 2005.

1. allypolly

allypolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have had my hi-fi system for 2 years now. My system is:

Yamaha AX396 amp
    Yamaha cdx 393 cd player
    Wharfadale diamond 8.3 floor standers

For me, I am more than happy with the sound that I get from this system. But I keep reading about how a sub can make big improvements to the sound. I have some money burning a hole in my pocket and I`d like to improve my system (I`m already in the process of improving the CD player). Will I notice a big difference in the sound by getting a sub. If so, what would you recommend for this system?

Appreciate any advice on this :lease: . Sorry for asking such a basic question!!

Cheers

Ally

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'd suggest a good sub is as much of an upgrade for movies as the move from stereo to surround.

What's your budget?

The only decent cheap sub I've heard (there are many out there I haven't heard) is the Ruark Log which were going for £250 a few months back.

For music I would improve your speakers and amp before adding a sub. I'd also leave the CD player exactly as it is. There's a big debate going on about CD players in the hi-fi forum, you might want to check it out.

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85