How much water do you use per day in your house?

zed4

Hi,

I've just had my water bill through. It says I use about 475 litres per day! :eek: There are just my girlfriend and I living there. My brother also rents, but he's rarely at home due to being in the Navy. I'd say he's at home for about 40% of the time. We both work, so we're not at home during the day, just the evenings and weekends.

We have a Megaflow hot water system, so good flow from the showers. We both have a shower each day, never use the bath. We have a new A+++ rated Bosch dishwasher and washing machine, so they're pretty efficient. I think they go on once a day.

I have a huge water butt which we connect the jet washer to for washing the cars, so we don't use mains water for any outside use.

475 litres a day seems a lot, what do you think?

Thanks,

Dan

blue max

Distinguished Member
Really hard to generalise, but a quick rough and ready calc, seems to suggest it is probably not wildly wide of the mark.

Decent shower (12lm), x3 x10mins = 360l.

Your showers may be greater flow and you may spend less time in the shower (only you know that :)).

I guess there are other areas - flushing toilets, inevitable washing up, drinks that all add up.

Pretty shocking when you think about it.

AdrianMills

We used around 160m3 of water last year which works out to be about 438 ltr/day. That's for 2 of us, I'm out of the house all day my wife was home all last year. Showers, rarely a bath, dishwasher once every couple of days, laundry most days. Personally, I think we use quite a lot. Your 475 ltr/day seems a little more than I'd expect.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
That does seem high for your described use.

Check the meter on the way to work & again when you return. If it's moved while you're out then you have a leak.

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Out of interest, how much did that cost you? I'm not on a meter (thankfully), but my water rates will be approaching £1,000 this next year. :eek:

AdrianMills

Out of interest, how much did that cost you? I'm not on a meter (thankfully), but my water rates will be approaching £1,000 this next year. :eek:
:eek: I can't remember exactly but I think mine are < 30% of that. In Norway of course.

gavpre

We use 200 litres a day, thats for 2 adults and 3 cats. We have showers and baths daily, all the normal water usage and a koi pond to occasionally top up.
Q. Have you got a leak? To check, turn your stop cock off and look at your water meter dial. If its still moving you have a leak between meter and stop cock so need to sort. Otherwise its your usage.
Shorter showers as already mentioned seem to be only sensible way to cut back. Or try 'If its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down.' Ok its not for everybody but it will cut alot of usage. 7 litres per flush x 3 people x 5 time each a day = 105 litres a day!!

loz

475 litres a day seems a lot, what do you think?
Seems a lot to me too.
With 4 of us at home, our last summer bill for 2012 was 290 lpd
Our previous bill for the same period in 2011 was 480 lpd
The winter bill inbetween was 360 lpd
That is both for the summer months Mar-Sept when there is also garden watering going on and we have a large garden and my wife is a keen gardener, not that much was required in 2012. So I put the difference down primarily to how much less water we used in 2012 watering the garden because of all the rain last year.

Out of interest, how much did that cost you? I'm not on a meter (thankfully), but my water rates will be approaching £1,000 this next year.
Ours was £270 last year for water and sewerage. For a large detached house with 4 adults.
And we are on a meter. So not sure what your "thankfully" means, it sounds like it should be more like "regrettably" :)

Last edited:

zed4

We use 200 litres a day, thats for 2 adults and 3 cats. We have showers and baths daily, all the normal water usage and a koi pond to occasionally top up.
Q. Have you got a leak? To check, turn your stop cock off and look at your water meter dial. If its still moving you have a leak between meter and stop cock so need to sort. Otherwise its your usage.
Shorter showers as already mentioned seem to be only sensible way to cut back. Or try 'If its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down.' Ok its not for everybody but it will cut alot of usage. 7 litres per flush x 3 people x 5 time each a day = 105 litres a day!!
Thanks, I'll check it, not sure where my meter is though.

My dad is on a fixed rate, not a meter and he has a huge 30,000 gallon koi pond, with about 200 koi carp in it. It uses a LOT of water! :eek:

gavpre

It's not a lot of money, just thought it was a lot of water! Our 6 month bill (82 cubic metres of water) was £115.
Is that water or water and sewage? My bill is £25 a month for both so £150 for 6 months with Anglian Water. I pay more than you and i use half as much water:mad:

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Jesus h Christ that is unreal , I am ****** off paying £35 / month !!! , have you checked about a meter , if it is the same as our supplier then you can have one fitted and if after a year it is costing you more then you can come off it , I would be asking about it :smashin:

Last edited:

towns

Novice Member
282lpd seems to be our highest. That's for 2, I shower daily, missus every other day. She's obsessed with the washing machine though, no dishwasher. Rarely baths

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
The water meter will be outside next to your stopcock. Normally on the pavement.

Could be a number of things causing high usage but most probable is your shower using loads of water. The days of showers being economical are long gone in a lot of homes. My shower pumps out a phenomenal amount.

Check your flush valves and float valves on WC's. For over a decade, the UK did away with external warning pipes/overflows on WC cisterns which means that there is often water being wasted straight down the WC Pan.

zed4

Wahreo said:
The water meter will be outside next to your stopcock. Normally on the pavement.

Could be a number of things causing high usage but most probable is your shower using loads of water. The days of showers being economical are long gone in a lot of homes. My shower pumps out a phenomenal amount.

Check your flush valves and float valves on WC's. For over a decade, the UK did away with external warning pipes/overflows on WC cisterns which means that there is often water being wasted straight down the WC Pan.
Thanks. The house is 2003, so not too old.

I'll have a look for the Meyer when it's light. I l I've on a small private road of just 6 houses and I can't see any small access flaps on our little road. Maybe they're all together on the main road outside.

IronGiant

Ours is in the downstairs cloakroom next to the internal stopcock :)

towns

Novice Member
Ous is under the kitchen sink where all the water pipes come in to the house. Might have a little flap over it

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
The vast majority don't have a water meter, yet. More often than not they are sited outside the property.

It often works out cheaper to go on a meter if there's just two of you but for a family they often end up paying more.